Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: how works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

It should be in the path from opening to the fan.

In the 1st picture the sensor is just in the upper of the cyl.1 exhaust outlet, one of the hotter point of the engine.

If sealing of the bottom of the car is not perfect (impossible to be) hot air sucked by the fan passes near the cyl.1 exhaust becoming hot.

I made the same test, put the sensor on the fan shroud just in the top and (until now) never read more than 20°C.

Cannot give more precision because my gauge starts the graduated scale from 40°C but the "hand" of the instrument rests in the 20°C - 68°C position.

The same sensor, when near the thermostat, give the same readings of yours (rapid raise up to 60-65°C then, depending on various conditions, 80..120°C)
pjpalm1964
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: how works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

I may have missed it, but what sensors are you using, and how can I setup my car to get this data?

Part# please! Links to where to buy?

Keep up the interesting data logging.
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: how works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

Cool thread. I always wondered how far the thermostat was actually open while driving. Never worried about it though, figured since mine works it was designed in a cold environment so I was good to go.
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: how works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

to answer pjpalm1964 about how to get the sensor, i have not really thought about it, all the insturments came from Amazon, except the thermostat sensor, which i could make for someone that wanted it. it would be great to get some other data from other folks, other setups, other locations, etc

anyone can PM me if interested
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: how works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

I got my open and closed element temp sensors from diyautotune

https://www.diyautotune.com/shop/sensors-data-logging/temperature-and-pressure-sensors/

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: how works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

Just read the analysis and data - good stuff. One observation -- the rain guard possibly has an impact on the readings.

In my car, the rain guard caused increased temps vs. the stock vented decklid. Is it possible that the rainguard causes a low pressure area at the *outside* of the vents which reduces the overall pressure in the engine compartment. Which effectively means that some of the air in the compartment is being drawn out there rather then fed it. Taping it up stops that and improves the pressure in the engine compartment -- resulting in lower temp.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: how works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

interesting, i have more tests planned, it has been a cool and wet spring, so not really good time yet for testing.
dawie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: how works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

Volkaholic1 wrote: "i have more tests planned".

Thats good news.

Any chance of loosing that 009 and fitting an svda?
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: how works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

SVDA not out of the question,,, are you expecting different engine temperatures? or what?
dawie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: how works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

Without vacuum advance, timing could be around 10 degrees too late during lighter loads/light throttle conditions. Too late timing cause wasted energy/heat.
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: how works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

So I live in Ca.
When I bought mine it did not have the flap set up.After reading here the majority say the flap set up should be in these engines to make it heat up properly.So I bought a flap set from a vendor on the Samba.

Long story short I contacted an engine builder here in SoCal regarding a turnkey engine and asked if the flap kit was installed and he told me they do not install them because of the climate here.He made the remark "do you live in Alaska"!

So here in the San Francisco Bay Area is a flap kit really needed?
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: how works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

grandpa red wrote:

So far this thread has been really useful and filled with actual measured data. The question of "are flaps really needed" has appeared in many previous threads but to my recollection not with much objective data. Many devolve into arguments. Some wind up locked.

The "are flaps really needed" question seems (at least tangentially) relevant here but it's been fought over before. I would hate to see the usual arguments destroy this thread. Instead, maybe go re-read one of the earlier threads.

Here are a few that seem representative:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=434134&highlight=flaps+needed

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=103844&highlight=flaps+needed

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=96235&highlight=thermostat

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: how works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

well the SVDA dis may be worth trying, thanks for the recommendation

as far as "do i need flaps" yes i agree, this is really a data collection thread, not a dissucssion on flaps per say, and as stated above, there has been lots of talk on that,,, but i will say this

will the engine run without flap? YES, certainly, but at what cost?
for example, will your engine run without air cleaners? YES, but at what cost?
will your engine run without all of the engine tin installed? YES, but at what cost?
you could strip it down to just the long block, and it would run,,, for awhile

I believe it was Mark Twain that said "the coldest winter i ever saw was the summer i spent in San Fransicso". but what do i know?
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: how works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

volkaholic1 wrote:
SVDA not out of the question,,, are you expecting different engine temperatures? or what?

As already wrote, when the vacuum part of SVDA is working, its a plus-advance, added to the centrifugal advance, when engine is in the middle rpm and load is partial.

In this condition the mixture is slower to burn so a bit more advance is a good correction and you have more (for free!) power.

A basic thought is that more power --> more heat.

Instead if we have more (for free) power, there is less heat because to have the same power we need to use less energy.

The SVDA ignition, if all works, is a very good improvement in this.

Some carburetors have an arrangement that, when idling (gas pedal released) the vacuum advance is completely shut off, so temperature in the head raises up a little and this helps to keep plugs clean, reduce emission, and avoid pre-heat manifold clogging.
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: how works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

grandpa red wrote:
So I live in Ca.
When I bought mine it did not have the flap set up.After reading here the majority say the flap set up should be in these engines to make it heat up properly.So I bought a flap set from a vendor on the Samba.

Long story short I contacted an engine builder here in SoCal regarding a turnkey engine and asked if the flap kit was installed and he told me they do not install them because of the climate here.He made the remark "do you live in Alaska"!

Not much of a builder....

Frisco gets plenty of cool time during the year.

VW put the system in place for a reason....regardless of where they were sold.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: how works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

herbie1200 wrote:
volkaholic1 wrote:

As already wrote, when the vacuum part of SVDA is working, its a plus-advance, added to the centrifugal advance, when engine is in the middle rpm and load is partial.

In this condition the mixture is slower to burn so a bit more advance is a good correction and you have more (for free!) power.

A basic thought is that more power --> more heat.

Instead if we have more (for free) power, there is less heat because to have the same power we need to use less energy.

The SVDA ignition, if all works, is a very good improvement in this.

Some carburetors have an arrangement that, when idling (gas pedal released) the vacuum advance is completely shut off, so temperature in the head raises up a little and this helps to keep plugs clean, reduce emission, and avoid pre-heat manifold clogging.

A vacuum advance is great but it also requires jetting to be correct. Most VW's I've run/worked on are almost always overly rich. Something an SVDA won't correct.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires

Last edited by udidwht on Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: how works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

i am just waiting for it to stop raining and warm up, my front yard is like 5" deep in water, right now when is summer going to get here? then i can get some more testing done,
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: how works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

volkaholic1 wrote:
i am just waiting for it to stop raining and warm up, my front yard is like 5" deep in water, right now when is summer going to get here? then i can get some more testing done,

Ah....better get used to extreme weather. Part of the whole global climate change situation.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: how works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

finally got warm enough to do some more testing, this one is a strange one, please do not be offended,,, this is UGLY! this is the baja scoop run on the backs of baja bugs, i got is duct taped on, i know i know, please forgive me, but i am not making holes in this very original car. what i want to test is the scoop at the top of the fiberglass, does it push more air down into the engine?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

i had my doubt as to if this would have any impact, i have 3 runs to compare, all starting in the mid 80F outside, 1 - baseline, no modifications
2 - tennis ball trick
3 - baja scoop

engine compartment temps are all black lines, with different colored dots

stat temp are all red lines, with different colored dots

looking at the results, it shows that the scoop really does do something, while the tennis ball trick still has the best results as far as engine compartment temperature, the baja scoop has lower engine compartment and stat temps. we are seeing cooler temps in the 10-15 deg F range, i call that significant.

the next tests are more valid, as they will the things folks actually do, but i wanted to see what if anything would come from this

your thoughts?
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: how works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

i added a venturi ring to the fan inlet, did before and after air flow testing, i decided it needed it's own subject line, check it out if interested,

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9113178#9113178

real world thermostat and engine temp data on the way!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: