Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

Thank you for the continued updates. The data is interesting.

It truly is a 'system'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

Thanks for all the good data you provide us!
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

it has been awhile since i posted, did some cool weather driving, which i dont normally do. ambient temp 46F, took moms bug out, drive country back roads, 40-55 mph range, about 45 minute drive, 2 stops, left engine running.

i measure engine compartment temp and temp off the 1/2 cylinder side (what the stat sees)

engine compartment temp peaked at 80F -34F hotter than outside, like i said, in a closed bug engine compartment, expect air temps 30-409F hotter than outside

air temp at the stat peaked at 155F = 68C, stat starts to open after a few minutes, but peaked at 7volts 7/12 = 58% open, with a 13mm stroke = 7.5mm so barely half way open, i drove mostly 55, but had to slow down to 40 for awhile, the engine air temp drops to 138F=59C, the stat closes down to 4 volts = 4/12 = 33% = 4.3mm open,

so the stat works exactly like it should, pretty neat i think. i think i know more about VW thermostats than anyone else alive, the experts are all dead by now.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: how works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

andrig's wrote:
JPro62 wrote:
Have you tested with the vents below the window blocked off?

I have '62 beetle with 2332 that I built for autocrossing and spirited back road driving. I did not install a thermostat due to the exhaust I was running, but the flaps are there. I was concerned about over heating running the none vented decklid so I wired the flaps open. I also have a external oil filter and cooler with a thermostat controlling the fan.

Now that it is getting cold here I am having trouble getting the engine warm enough. I have a VDO oil temperature gauge T'ed into the oil pressure port near the distributor. I know that location isn't the best since there is no flow there. Double checking the temperature with a infrared probe it appears the gauge is ready 20F lower than what the block is in that area.

Driving the car hard I see temperatures on the gauge around 130F which I am estimating is ~150 at the block. To verify my 150F assumption I let the car idle for 15 mins in the driveway 45F air temperature. Checking the temps with the probe I was getting 145-155F coming out of the oil pump and into the filter. Oil returning from the cooler was 110-120F range.

Before I bypass the cooler I was curious if blocking off the rear vents below the window could raise my temperature?

I would run an external oil thermostat on your setup. They make a world of difference. On my 2110 cc Baja bug, the oil thermostat made my oil temps come up to 180F in about a minute, and I wasn't driving it hard. They have different temperature ranges for the oil thermostats, but most VW parts places only sell the 180 degree F units. They do come in 190 and 210 as well. Most people find 180 degree F temperatures to be the standard in the aircooled VW world, but you really want to get oil temps a little higher than that if you can. Oil temps in the 215 degree range are actually healthier for the engine, because water condensation will boil off, keeping your oil in much better shape.

Good temperature control for the oil is a great thing but bare in mind that you are still only addressing half the problem. The cylinders will still be running too cold and wearing faster and the heads will be too cold too. This will mean that to run well you will need a richer mixture and mileage will suffer.

You still need to control the cooling air. Don’t be content with just going half way.
andrig's
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: how works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

JPro62 wrote:
Have you tested with the vents below the window blocked off?

I have '62 beetle with 2332 that I built for autocrossing and spirited back road driving. I did not install a thermostat due to the exhaust I was running, but the flaps are there. I was concerned about over heating running the none vented decklid so I wired the flaps open. I also have a external oil filter and cooler with a thermostat controlling the fan.

Now that it is getting cold here I am having trouble getting the engine warm enough. I have a VDO oil temperature gauge T'ed into the oil pressure port near the distributor. I know that location isn't the best since there is no flow there. Double checking the temperature with a infrared probe it appears the gauge is ready 20F lower than what the block is in that area.

Driving the car hard I see temperatures on the gauge around 130F which I am estimating is ~150 at the block. To verify my 150F assumption I let the car idle for 15 mins in the driveway 45F air temperature. Checking the temps with the probe I was getting 145-155F coming out of the oil pump and into the filter. Oil returning from the cooler was 110-120F range.

Before I bypass the cooler I was curious if blocking off the rear vents below the window could raise my temperature?

I would run an external oil thermostat on your setup. They make a world of difference. On my 2110 cc Baja bug, the oil thermostat made my oil temps come up to 180F in about a minute, and I wasn't driving it hard. They have different temperature ranges for the oil thermostats, but most VW parts places only sell the 180 degree F units. They do come in 190 and 210 as well. Most people find 180 degree F temperatures to be the standard in the aircooled VW world, but you really want to get oil temps a little higher than that if you can. Oil temps in the 215 degree range are actually healthier for the engine, because water condensation will boil off, keeping your oil in much better shape.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
texastomeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: how works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

FWIW:

I just recently purchased/received a set of flaps and the "original style" Tstat from volkaholic1 (aka Awesome Powder Coat).

The rebuilt flaps look and operate "like new" and of course, the Tstat IS new.

I tested the Tsat with a heat gun (easier and more realistic than dunking in boiling water) and it performed flawlessly. Sorry, but I did not instrument and record actual temps, but I figure they were representative of what the Tsat would see under real conditions.

I then installed the flaps and Tstat on the engine (which is still in mockup) as part of modifying the fan shroud to fit the BT case. Once I got the shroud clearance and cylinder tins tweaked and fitted, I tested the flaps and Tsat with the heat gun again. PERFECT!! - or at least I THINK SO until I finish the build and get it on the road to make sure.

Tstat seems to have plenty of "OOMPH" to operate the flaps, but then the flaps are smooth as budda' and really take very little effort. The secret is to make certain that the flaps and actuating rod are properly installed, aligned, and NOT BINDING!!

It should be noted that IF this type Tsat fails (Heaven forbid Shocked ), the flaps will be in the OPEN position. THIS IS NOT THE CASE WITH THE "MEXICAN" STYLE TSAT!!

BTW: APC was sooper to work with re the order.

STAY WELL!! Cool Cool

Tom

GETTING old was GREAT - BEING old SUCKS!!

Too bad that the guys that know how to solve all of the WORLD's problems are too busy working on old Volkswagens!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: how works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

you are so silly, you know the only part of california they are considering is LA and hollywood, to them, the rest is just fly over
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: how works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

Very interesting topic. I found the comments about "California" almost humorous.

California is almost 800 miles from north to south or visa versa. It ranges in altitude from 14,500 feet to nearly 300 BELOW sea level. It's temperatures range from a high of 134 F to a low of -45 degrees F. Kinda negates generalizing about the state of the state Laughing

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: how works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

again, i have rebuilt 100's of flap sets, most are fine, but sometimes the bushings are worn out, egg shaped, not sure why, some sort of side load? but they can wear, and if bad enough, even fall out! that would certainly be bad
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: how works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

Ulu wrote:
volkaholic1 wrote:
ok, stats are filled with charge fluid, then put under vacuum, then sealed.
so at higher elevations, with lower atmospheric pressure, it would tend to open sooner, but only slightly, i have a sensor installed on an engine, and during normal driving, that stat runs about 75% open, which makes sense, you still have 25% more to open if the engine gets hotter, a thermal reserve. air temp coming off the heads and cylinders is around 100c

Any idea how much force the thermostat can deliver?
Do crusty old flaps stall them?

The pivot points are fairly loose fitting, if an engine got rusty enough to seize them up you'd have much bigger problems than cooling to deal with first. Engine vibration also keeps them clean, the flap pivots ride in bronze bushings so there's no steel on steel to stick together. The linkage across the front of the shroud is steel on steel, but it's visible outside and also vibrates enough to clear away any corrosion that forms.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: how works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

volkaholic1 wrote:
so at higher elevations, with lower atmospheric pressure, it would tend to open sooner, but only slightly, i have a sensor installed on an engine, and during normal driving, that stat runs about 75% open, which makes sense, you still have 25% more to open if the engine gets hotter, a thermal reserve. air temp coming off the heads and cylinders is around 100c

Any idea how much force the thermostat can deliver?
Do crusty old flaps stall them?
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: how works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
once I heated up an apparently dead tstat on a hot plate, it was supposed to be a gradual thing, but the
tstat did nothing, and did nothing, until suddenly, in a few seconds, it grew in length to about 5 inches or more, and then the
solder melted and the end cap fell off. . .

Boiling water should make it open. No need to go hotter to test one.
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: how works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: how works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Good question, they seem to be under quite a bit of vacuum when cold, whatever the juice is in them boils when they reach temp and they open rather suddenly, it's not a gradual thing like a thermometer rising. I doubt altitude would make a really big difference (but I'm not a scientist).

This is true: once I heated up an apparently dead tstat on a hot plate, it was supposed to be a gradual thing, but the
tstat did nothing, and did nothing, until suddenly, in a few seconds, it grew in length to about 5 inches or more, and then the
solder melted and the end cap fell off. The tstat did not shrink back down at all, so it must be the vacuum inside
that keeps it squished down to it's "normal" length.

Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: how works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

If you drive up 5000 feet, air pressure reduces about 2.5 psi.
That's really not much. Plus the affected area is small.

I'll bet it has almost zero effect.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: how works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

I would think that altitude would make no difference since the fluid is in a sealed chamber, not exposed to ambient air pressure.

It’s not like boiling water in a pot open to atmosphere.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: how works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

Good question, they seem to be under quite a bit of vacuum when cold, whatever the juice is in them boils when they reach temp and they open rather suddenly, it's not a gradual thing like a thermometer rising. I doubt altitude would make a really big difference (but I'm not a scientist).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: how works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

Good question, I don't know, at any rate the weather will be cooler up there too...

Thinking about it now, with less atmospheric pressure it should expand, open the flaps and run cooler... a bit. Enough to document? I'm not sure.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: how works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

So when you change altitude, will that move the bellows until the pressures balance?

Imagine a bare thermostat being taken up 8000’.

Does it ever move enough to make a difference?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: how works a vw thermostat (long read, data heavy) Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
If I understand it correctly they are manufactured in the expanded configuration, put under a vacuum (then filled with alcohol?) and sealed up. Than when they crack or are punctured the air comes in and they relax to thier expanded/natural state.

Correct me if I have it wrong.

Something like that, at least they are sealed up in the warm condition so they contract when cool, the fluid (alcohol?) adds to the expansion when warmed.

The only situation I can imagine to cook an engine is stuck linkage binding on something due to bad adjustment or setup, the system when set up like VW says is very reliable.

But just like fuel injection, or some carb running aids misconstrued as "power robbing smog equipment" by uneducated mechanics the thermostat was often removed because it was witchcraft and had to go since they didn't understand it or know what it really did. Confused
It still happens today in some "old school" shops, "that's the way we've always done it, what do you know you whippersnapper?. Science?, it's a stupid car built by stupid Germans, we are smarter, drink our kool aid....".

Get to know all the parts on your VW and every thing they do, many play a part in the function of other systems you were never even aware of, the only part VW put on an air cooled car that didn't help with the driving experience in some small way was the emblem on the front.

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: