Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Head lights, heater blower, ac, power windows all died at once!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericmendelsohn.md
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Head lights, heater blower, ac, power windows all died at once! Reply with quote

I was driving down a bumpy Vermont dirt road in my 89’ ABA swap carat van. All of a sudden, I lost my head lights, Air conditioning, heater blower, rear heater blower and power windows all at once..

The high beam flasher switch still works. I checked the grounds behind the head lights, they seem fine. Checked the head light switch on a meter and it seemed fine. I jumped the cable at the head light flasher switch and got the lights to come back on, but no luck with all the other accessories. Any one out there experience this? I’m on a camping trip and would love to roll my windows down haha!
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Head lights, heater blower, ac, power windows all died at once! Reply with quote

That is what a bad ignition switch does. There are actually several switches inside and one of those powers on all that stuff.

Mark
vw4wd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Head lights, heater blower, ac, power windows all died at once! Reply with quote

First thing I thought of was the 'X relief relay', perhaps?

1990 Transporter syncro camper with 2 litre AGG 'GTi' engine
ericmendelsohn.md
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Head lights, heater blower, ac, power windows all died at once! Reply with quote

Update
Bingo!
the ignition switch to X relay died. replaced the switch, all is well
cheers Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: