Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Closing inlet on fresh air heat exchanger
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
khamul02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Closing inlet on fresh air heat exchanger Reply with quote

If I closed off the inlet on a fresh air heat exchanger wouldn't essentially act like a stale air system?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Closing inlet on fresh air heat exchanger Reply with quote

No.

The stale air system had a pair of doors that would block off the exits for the air that had passed over the cylinders and heads to cool the engine, while also opening two flaps that would redirect that heated air into the cabin. Blocking off the inlets for a fresh air heater box will simply just stop the air from flowing through them -- no airflow through the heater box means no heat going to the cabin.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Closing inlet on fresh air heat exchanger Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
-- no airflow through the heater box means no heat going to the cabin.

And eventually cracked or burnt out heat exchangers, air flows through them constantly, even when the heat is off, no cooling in there gets ugly.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
khamul02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Closing inlet on fresh air heat exchanger Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Is it possible to put a stale air exhaust on a 70 bug with too much trouble? I was thinking one way or the other would work ok. I'm in the south and really only need heat for a week or two during the winter. I also thought about putting some fans (similar to my 911) in the duct-work somewhere.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Closing inlet on fresh air heat exchanger Reply with quote

If you currently have serviceable fresh air heater boxes installed, stick with a fresh air exhaust or at least leave the fresh air hoses connected to the boxes in some fashion. It'll make things easier on the rare occasion you do need to use the heater, and as pointed out above by busdaddy, it'll keep you from frying your heater boxes. Installing a true "stale air" exhaust may prove problematic if you have anything other than a 36 or 40 horse engine installed as the associated tinware and muffler are narrower to fit the engines they were intended for -- installing a stock stale air setup on an engine with a 69mm or longer stroke crank will leave gaps near the case and the muffler won't fit.
khamul02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Closing inlet on fresh air heat exchanger Reply with quote

I guess I should provide some backstory. This is the engine and it has no fresh air vents nor heat exchangers. So I was going to get a new muffler and exchangers. I was thinking a stale air setup. I would like to keep the engine bay as is and ad AC so not having the hoses for fresh air would make that a bit easier and help keep the engine bay clean given the addition of a compressor. Any advice is appreciated to get a little bit of heat.

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Closing inlet on fresh air heat exchanger Reply with quote

Stale air heating isn't really much of an option honestly for the reasons I gave earlier, not to mention the need to make absolutely certain no combustion gasses will leak from the cylinder/head mating area (stale air engines had copper crush seals specifically for this purpose).

If you aren't willing to install the fan shroud needed for fresh air heating then installing the other components doesn't make much sense either. I'd say your best bet to keep things looking as they are is going to be to dress warmly in the winter or wrap up in an electric blanket plugged into a power inverter.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Closing inlet on fresh air heat exchanger Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
mukluk wrote:
-- no airflow through the heater box means no heat going to the cabin.

And eventually cracked or burnt out heat exchangers, air flows through them constantly, even when the heat is off, no cooling in there gets ugly.

THIS ABOVE. Air should always be blown thru the exchangers with engine running. This does two things.

1. keeps the exchanger manifold and its aluminum cast fin heatsink from over heating, cracking.

2. Keeps cylinder head temperature cooler, reduces heat radiated to the head above the exchanger.

Under normal operation with no cabin heat required, air blown thru the exchanger via the engine fan is dumped out under the car when heat control is off. I When heat in cabin is required, the heat control valve directs the heat to cabin, shutting off the dump to under car port.

The blown heated air is never shut off by the heater control, it is simply directed to either or both cabin or dumped under car.

Bug On, Nice and comfy!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
RichNJohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Closing inlet on fresh air heat exchanger Reply with quote

khamul02 wrote:
I also thought about putting some fans (similar to my 911) in the duct-work somewhere.

I was thinking about adding bilge blower fans like the one in the picture by splicing them into the heater tubes that run from the front of the heater boxes to the body under the back cargo area. However, since bilge gasses are (hopefully) not hot I didn't know if the fans could take the heat. the heat coming out of the floor vents in my bug is so hot I can't leave my feet next to the vents.

Has anyone sourced fans that are able to handle the heat?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Closing inlet on fresh air heat exchanger Reply with quote

RichNJohn wrote:
khamul02 wrote:
I also thought about putting some fans (similar to my 911) in the duct-work somewhere.

I was thinking about adding bilge blower fans like the one in the picture by splicing them into the heater tubes that run from the front of the heater boxes to the body under the back cargo area. However, since bilge gasses are (hopefully) not hot I didn't know if the fans could take the heat. the heat coming out of the floor vents in my bug is so hot I can't leave my feet next to the vents.

Has anyone sourced fans that are able to handle the heat?

Keep in mind any extra air blown into the cabin from heaters is cooling air robbed from the motor

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Closing inlet on fresh air heat exchanger Reply with quote

Get a stock fan shroud. Connect up the fresh air tubes. The junk aftermarket shrouds like you have, do not have the proper directional fins inside to get the cooling air in proper amounts where it needs to be blown to.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: