Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia s042 popup top installation
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chamilka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject: Westfalia s042 popup top installation Reply with quote

Hi all
I got a 67 Westfalia s042 popup top camper. I need to install the Popup Top and wondering anybody has instructions or picture guide. I do have two VW manuals but they do not have what I am looking for. I have all the hardware, metal frames etc.
I need to buy the plastic/rubber gaskets that go around the cutout - Do you know where I can buy them or what they are called?
If anybody lives in or close to San Diego who has a S042 I would like to compare so I understand what I my bus might be missing.
Thanks
Cha
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia s042 popup top installation Reply with quote

Look at this thread. Towards the end there's some info that may help.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=301897&start=0

(Edited to fix autocorrect nonsense.)

Last edited by zozo on Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total
chamilka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia s042 popup top installation Reply with quote

Thank you Zozo, really appropriate it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chamilka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia s042 popup top installation Reply with quote

I need to buy the plastic/rubber gaskets that go around the cutout - Do you know where I can buy them or what they are called?
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia s042 popup top installation Reply with quote

Thanks zozo but the best thread for the poptop is below IMO. BTW I not only installed the tent upside down but it didn't fit all the way around no matter how hard I stretched it. I eventually will replace it with the one Helmut Szydlik ([email protected]) makes as it is the closest match with the white screens as seen below. I would also encourage those wanting the white screen tent to order ASAP as you never know when Helmut will stop making them and it does take a while to get. Ordering mine this week Wink installing? only time can tell LOL.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670226&highlight=poptop+tent+screen

I went crazy looking for that original trim and paid a hefty penny for it as you can see it in the foreground but now I see it super cheap $35. from WW.

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=231068001

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Don't install with the flaps rolling up, they need to roll down:

This is the correct way to have the flaps:

Complete list of poptop info enjoy.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

chamilka wrote:

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66uno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia s042 popup top installation Reply with quote

Just installed mine. Took two full days, but it’s Maryland and it’s a brutal summer, hot and very humid. And I now have a bad heart, so my body does not rid itself of heat, so I had to go for as long as I could stand it and then go in and cool down before resuming again.
66uno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia s042 popup top installation Reply with quote

Just installed mine. Took two full days, but it’s Maryland and it’s a brutal summer, hot and very humid. And I now have a bad heart, so my body does not rid itself of heat, so I had to go for as long as I could stand it and then go in and cool down before resuming again.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia s042 popup top installation Reply with quote

chamilka wrote:
Hi all
I need to install the Popup Top and wondering anybody has instructions or picture guide.

Did you search? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670226
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: