Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Notches in Head where the Heat exchanges sit.. What to do?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Notches in Head where the Heat exchanges sit.. What to do? Reply with quote

Hey folks,

I removed the gaskets and found some notches where the gasket sits between the head and the heat exchanger. Any suggestions/recommendations on options?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Notches in Head where the Heat exchanges sit.. What to do? Reply with quote

Anything you do short of new heads will not have a good ending
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Notches in Head where the Heat exchanges sit.. What to do? Reply with quote

How would that happen in the first place? Someone taking a chisel to the copper gasket?
chift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Notches in Head where the Heat exchanges sit.. What to do? Reply with quote

Not sure :/ but that does seem likely.

I was afraid of that aeromech...
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Notches in Head where the Heat exchanges sit.. What to do? Reply with quote

Well yeah it doesn't look good, but a good cleaning wouldn't hurt to get a better look at the issue. If the edges of the valleys are raised you may be able to tease the metal back into place with the tip of a blunt drift and a hammer. Possibly even fill the remaining divot with copper wire in a similar way to how they do gold inlay on firearms.
Another option would be to mill (maybe even Dremel) the entire surface down a little, but that's not really a driveway job without some sort of special jig to guide the tool and control the depth of the cut.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
chift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Notches in Head where the Heat exchanges sit.. What to do? Reply with quote

Thanks busdaddy. I'll clean it up in the coming days and get better pictures. Assuming I can edges the valleys in and fill in the gaps, how do I know it'll be good?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Notches in Head where the Heat exchanges sit.. What to do? Reply with quote

Those heads look to be past their life limit. To do a half ass patch is just delaying the inevitable
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Notches in Head where the Heat exchanges sit.. What to do? Reply with quote

chift wrote:
Hey folks,

I removed the gaskets and found some notches where the gasket sits between the head and the heat exchanger. Any suggestions/recommendations on options?

ok....if you removed the gaskets, you did the damage....it's pretty clear that the nice shiny diggers are fresh....clearly this wasn't done in the past.

what did you remove them with, an ax?

you may get lucky, but they seem pretty dam deep....try to gingerly wire wheel the surface with a dremel. that will give you a better idea of the damage....but the V shaped nature of the damage will for sure lead to burnt out gaskets as the hot gasses will have a nice easy path to eat them new gaskets alive

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
chift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Notches in Head where the Heat exchanges sit.. What to do? Reply with quote

Thanks Skills/everyone.

I'll write brush clean them and see where we're at.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Notches in Head where the Heat exchanges sit.. What to do? Reply with quote

Doesn't look to me like the gaskets were sealing well previously. Making sure the flanges are flat and aligned with each other would help the situation overall as would annealing the gaskets prior to installation. Since the V-marks are small, it is possible that some kind of exhaust repair goop might actually work, don't have personally experience with these products:

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=exh...omen_e_p38
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Notches in Head where the Heat exchanges sit.. What to do? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Those heads look to be past their life limit. To do a half ass patch is just delaying the inevitable

Agreed, but a patch could buy some time while new the head fund cookie jar fills up, and we all know once it's apart for heads there's always a few more things that need doing, start putting aside the $.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Notches in Head where the Heat exchanges sit.. What to do? Reply with quote

I could be wrong, but it almost looks like to me that there is still a gasket in each hole.

Perhaps a previous previous owner used some kind of sealant in there which caused them to stick, and the previous owner installed new copper rings right under the old ones, and they didn't seal to each other?

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
HAM Inc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Notches in Head where the Heat exchanges sit.. What to do? Reply with quote

There are definitely gaskets in the last the two photos. I have no idea how to get them out without doing major damage without removing the heads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Notches in Head where the Heat exchanges sit.. What to do? Reply with quote

A pocket screwdriver with a sharpened tip bent at the right angle works well. Thin the blade way down to about half its original thickness and then take the edge off the blade with a fine file or stone so that it doesn't tend dig into the metal.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Notches in Head where the Heat exchanges sit.. What to do? Reply with quote

Sometimes you can get the tip of one of these under the edge enough to get it loose, just have to find the right size:

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Notches in Head where the Heat exchanges sit.. What to do? Reply with quote

why did you pull the exhaust off to begin witfh? It is material to the answer.
chift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Notches in Head where the Heat exchanges sit.. What to do? Reply with quote

vwwestyman/HAM Inc... it doesn't feel like there's another gasket.

SGKent: the Bus is a 78 and had all rusted out heater boxes/manifold that were beyond repair, so I've been collecting parts to convert it to a 72-74 system following ratwells page: http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Exhaust.html

I think I'm going to go with BusDaddy's advice and hope they last while I save some $ for new heads.
HAM Inc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Notches in Head where the Heat exchanges sit.. What to do? Reply with quote

chift wrote:
vwwestyman/HAM Inc... it doesn't feel like there's another gasket.

SGKent: the Bus is a 78 and had all rusted out heater boxes/manifold that were beyond repair, so I've been collecting parts to convert it to a 72-74 system following ratwells page: http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Exhaust.html

I think I'm going to go with BusDaddy's advice and hope they last while I save some $ for new heads.

It probably doesn't feel like a gasket, given the way it's crusted into the head, but the the copper color gives it away.

It's probably going to be tough to get that out without digging underneath it. Seen a blue-million just like it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Notches in Head where the Heat exchanges sit.. What to do? Reply with quote

Your first pic:
chift wrote:

That looks like a gasket. Unless the gasket seat was machined with two steps in it: look at the OUTBOARD edge of the groove from about the 4 o'clock position to the 10 o'clock position, that appears to be a step-down, revealing the actual seat below; Then, at the INBOARD edge, at about the 11 o'clock position, you can see what appears to be the inner edge of the gasket seat. Those reveals are evident because the gaskets are an imperfect fit in the seat, and there's always some shift due to inherent slop. I'm with Len...heck, they're probably all gaskets.

(Edited for clarity.)

Last edited by Busstom on Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Notches in Head where the Heat exchanges sit.. What to do? Reply with quote

I bet someone put red loctite under them. As Len suggested you should pull the heads. Drop the engine and do it correctly the first time. If you mangle the heads trying to pry them out you are going to have to pull it anyway. And the Bus will be sitting while you save up for a set of heads.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: