Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Niece and Husband want a Vanagon
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject: Niece and Husband want a Vanagon Reply with quote

We had a family gathering at my Nieces house here in NJ yesterday.

Her husband, knowing I'm a VW guy (but apparently not what models I'm involved in) says "we are looking to buy a Vanagon, you know that older ugly model" Laughing

I told him that I didn't know if I should be excited for him or insulted!

Her parents are moving to Colorado Springs next week, hence the family gathering, and they would like to make a family camping trip out and fly back home selling their unit while out in Colorado.

This became quite the conversation about the realities of the Vanagon, the costs involved in ownership, how hard it will be to locate an affordable unit that is ready to roll and then the prospects of reselling it to get most if not all of your money back at the end of the journey.

We talked various engine conversions, road side problems, rust and how Western folk don't want to pay prime dollars for Eastern rust, etc etc etc.
we talked years, engines, interior layout and color changes through the production run.
He asked about 4 wheel drive units, after talking he let go of that idea.

I stressed to them that stock units are not a Western Freeways travelers dream travel machine with 80/85 mph speed limits common.

I did suggest a Chevy conversion van might be a better option but they are stuck on Vanagon right now.

I showed him this site and we will arrange a visit for them to come up and test drive mine to see if their statements of "we don't need a lot of power" are actually true. They drive a late model Volvo and a newer Toyota Land Cruiser.

While he doesn't want to waste money, that isn't a stumbling block for a well sorted reliable and resellable unit. I did tell him that finding a buyer for the upper priced units will take a bit of time in most cases.

While he is a great guy, he isn't a wrench. That limits his options somewhat.

We shall see ......... Maybe I'll end up,with a side job making a unit road worthy! Shocked

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Neice wants a Vanagon Reply with quote

His vision of car ownership seems to be about as far from mine as it is possible to be.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Neice wants a Vanagon Reply with quote

Have they never seen or read of your EPIC battles against Rust and Mice....
Apparently not.... Wink
We’ll wait to hear how that first test drive went..... Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn Pray Pray Pray
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Neice wants a Vanagon Reply with quote

Good on your for trying to provide a realistic look at Vanagons. It's interesting that folks don't see the connction between the questions, "Do you want a Vanagon?" and "Do you want to deal with the reality of living with a 30-year-old vehicle?"
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Neice wants a Vanagon Reply with quote

I'm rather confused. This was about a niece. Then its about a guy, Then its about a Vanagon being ugly AND selling it as if it's a flipper. Super super confusing.

Was he just playing you? The family must already know you are VanagonNutz, and just messing with you.

If your niece IS actually wanting this, and her husband is actually interested, I'd have to say she would want to keep it, not flip it. Women aren't as fickle as often portrayed.

-bobby
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Niece wants a Vanagon Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
they would like to make a family camping trip out and fly back home selling their unit while out in Colorado.

Am I reading ^that correctly? They want to buy a Vanagon in the East, drive it for a week or two, then dump it out West? If so, pretty financially stupid IMHO. It would make more sense to fly out and rent one for a week, then fly home.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Niece wants a Vanagon Reply with quote

We occasionally will get a medium duty truck here that someone moving from the east coast used to haul their stuff. Once they get here they park it in plain site with a for sale sign and it sits for years as no one is interested because of the salt bleached paint and of course any rust.

They would do way better to fly to Colorado, buy a van, tour around, and then drive it back east, where it would bring a premium.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Niece wants a Vanagon Reply with quote

Rent one. If your gonna loose money and you dont own any wrenches.....
Just pitch the cash into a rental you dont need wrenches for.
Oh the misunderstandings people operate with. And from my experience one drive isnt enough to rid them of the desire to be free-wheeling Americas byways. They need to be stuck behind a logging truck on a steep highway mountain pass, blood boiling and kids complaining, AC on the fritz and the breakdown lane full of debris while being passed by newer gas guzzling character free American models, all the passengers flashing peace signs on their way by. Mad

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Niece wants a Vanagon Reply with quote

Yeah, good point Kam!
They may be thinking backwards on the driving portion of the trip!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Niece wants a Vanagon Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

I did suggest a Chevy conversion van might be a better option but they are stuck on Vanagon right now.

Your instincts are right on. Save everyone some trauma and keep pointing them in that direction.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Niece wants a Vanagon Reply with quote

sanchius wrote:

Is it just me... or does the gal in that photo look like she is thinking wistfully of the Westy they didn't get and wondering how her life would have been different if they had?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Niece wants a Vanagon Reply with quote

I always steer friends and relations toward vehicles I'm happily ignorant of, and/or refuse to work on. Always. It works on the "fences make better neighbors" principle.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Niece wants a Vanagon Reply with quote

The theme sounds a bit whimsical... but he is very lucky to be able to talk with you about it. You’ve got YEARS of experience; let’s see if he is listening.

Not clear about exactly who wants this... niece or otherwise... but at any rate the suggestion to rent one seems best to me. Get a non-committed view of what the experience can be driving and living in one.

Finding a trustworthy, well sorted one? Good luck! Ours is super dependable, operates swiftly in San Francisco and LA area traffic, everything works (yes, truly!) and is extremely clean. Attractive white on grey with good canvas and even a grey water holding tank. You’d never know the final drive has a LOT of slop in it, and I just found adjusting the valves three days ago that the No. 4 exhaust valve is recessing. I could clean up the ATF shaft seal leak and probably sell this quickly for $12-15,000

Rent one, then if they are still all hot and bothered about, test their listening skills.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Niece wants a Vanagon Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I always steer friends and relations toward vehicles I'm happily ignorant of, and/or refuse to work on. Always. It works on the "fences make better neighbors" principle.

Very true. It so easy to move the merchandise.

Last edited by Abscate on Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Niece and Husband want a Vanagon Reply with quote

I came in to Vanagondom with eyes wide open and a good bit of experience with older vehicles ('77 MGB, '68 Mustang) and I'm still a little surprised at the time and money involved in keeping our Westy operational. Roadside repairs aren't anything new, so that wasn't a big issue. I only second-guess my decision occasionally; usually when laying underneath the van on the driveway fighting with a stuck bolt or something. Overall I am thoroughly enjoying Vanagon ownership.

I always emphasize the need for at least basic mechanical skills or a fat wallet (or both!) to anyone who claims they want to get one. 90% of the time it is just a passing fancy anyway.

As long as they understand what they are getting in to, maybe an old ornery van is just the "vehicle" to spark the transformation to becoming more mechanically savvy. Everyone starts somewhere. On the other hand, some folks have trouble figuring out which end of a screwdriver to use and have no desire to learn. I would hate to send someone down the road of frustration and disappointment.

Agree with the "rent" logic in this case.

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Niece wants a Vanagon Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

This is what I did with a coworker just last month. Last week he came around my lab and thanked me

I also warned my B.I.L. about the lifestyle asociated with an old vehicle. The romance quickly fades if you’re not buying in whole heartedly.

Myself, I come from not only old vehicle ownership but worse, I love to shoe horn motors into my victims that the manufacturer never intended to have in them.
V8 Vega (classic)
351 Windsor Pinto (scary)
Twin carb’d Corvair beatle (always breaking cv’s)
Windosor powered E Type Jag (sleeper for sure)

Good on the OP for spelling it out for them.

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Niece wants a Vanagon Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
sanchius wrote:

Is it just me... or does the gal in that photo look like she is thinking wistfully of the Westy they didn't get and wondering how her life would have been different if they had?

Yep, water in plastic jugs (how primitive), stove on a fold up table, two kayaks apparently out to sea while she sits there wishing she owned a Vanagon. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Niece and Husband want a Vanagon Reply with quote

Maybe I've been really lucky, but I've owned 3 vanagons, am definitely not a "wrench" and have not suffered inordinately from mechanical problems. The three times I've had to call AAA were for- broken throttle cable, dead battery and master brake cylinder. The last one could have been bad but luckily it happened on flat terrain and the emergency brake worked. The first thing my present van got was an overhaul of the braking system. I think most Sambanistas could have rigged the throttle cable and now I travel with a jump start battery pack. Learn from mistakes.

They own a Volvo. We owned two Volvos. One, a 2001 V70 was a nightmare. We spent more repairing that POS than all my vans put together.

Now if only I could get the V70's acceleration in the van....one can dream....

PS and then there are those moments- when we pulled up to the Sequoia NP entrance gate, the young ranger wished us a nice visit and added, "...and that's a super cool van!"
Eric_Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Niece and Husband want a Vanagon Reply with quote

As expected, good thoughts from all. The thing that really strikes me weird about it is the fact that they just want to buy it to drive it out to Colorado. I get wanting to drive one on a road trip, but as many others have said, a rental is the way to go here.

If they really want one, and they want to keep it and start dealing with it, then go nuts and see what happens. Owning one of these is a long term relationship in my opinion. The short game is going to be really tough, as the learning curve of the whole thing is going to be step, and then your just going to sell it and walk away. When you keep it long term all the irritations , bumps in the road, and wrenching knowledge start to even out and it makes it a much more fun process.

Rent it, call AAA when it breaks and have the rental company pay to get it sorted. That will be a fun trip and worth the cost.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Niece wants a Vanagon Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Ahwahnee wrote:
sanchius wrote:

Yep, water in plastic jugs (how primitive), stove on a fold up table, two kayaks apparently out to sea while she sits there wishing she owned a Vanagon. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Actually, I think she's also thinking that if she'd found a cool dude with a Vanagon she wouldn't be sitting there in a campsite where her date thought it would be a good idea to put the back tires in a ditch. Then put up the awning over the ditch and precariously balance a chair hobby horse in the ditch. I can tell she's thinking "I shoulda just stayed in town with my room mate, this is so lame - camping in a ditch. This guy's so lame even his awning is so small I'm sitting here in the sun."
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: