Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Emergency breakdown advice (busted front wheel bearing)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Emergency breakdown advice (busted front wheel bearing) Reply with quote

Hi all, I am currently stranded and need some advice. We were going to Santiago from Mendoza to catch our flights back home and the driver's side wheel bearing bit the dust. I took the grease cap off and the bearing balls/rollers are crushing and coming out. I'm currently missing almost half of them. Is it at ALL ok to drive very slowly or am I in danger of the front wheel assembly falling off? We are now trying to figure out our options because there are no mechanics or parts where we are and we have a flight back to the States from santiago in 2 days.

Here is a pic but it's hard to see.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency breakdown advice Reply with quote

How far would you have to drive?

Do you have another, fresh and peen-worthy lock nut?

BEST!

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency breakdown advice Reply with quote

Dude, that's bad...as in super bad. I know you're in a pickle, but that's just too risky to run on in that shape. Can you get it towed to a Santiago shop?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency breakdown advice Reply with quote

Getting it towed to santiago unfortunately isn't an option because it's across the border. Which sucks because I know a good VW mechanic there. To get back to Mendoza would be bout 30 miles.

At this point there aren't a lot of good or cheap options.

Ironically I had just ordered new bearings from gowesty two days ago to pick up whenever I'm in the Us.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency breakdown advice Reply with quote

blackglasspirate wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They say knowledge is power.
I've come to see that knowledge can be crippling as well.

To an uneducated person looking at that bearing as long as it rotates it can be driven upon, and you know what? It MIGHT just make it.

Me? No way, no how, never would I drive even another foot forward!

I've seen first hand what will happen....... well..... might happen.....most likely happen.........

This photo right here is why when I travel I have spare inner and outer wheel bearings, a new grease seal and yes, even grease.
Having these basic supplies in the Van turns this catastrophic situation into a two hour delay.

My advice?
Park it.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency breakdown advice Reply with quote

Let me ask more...

How far to Santiago?

Where would the bus sit if in either town and at what costs?

How far driven as is or sudden noise already and here you are?

Expenses of those options critical to even consider what to do. Tow vs. storage vs. mileage risk of a 5 mph stumbles vs. side of road if/when bearing bits fly out and seize something.

Tow to just short of border, stumble across, then stumble or tow to Santiago? That distance would be everything to my decision if you.

So sorry, it'll work out.

— Colin Chapman
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency breakdown advice Reply with quote

So if that bearing goes all the way foobar and loses all the balls inside, the entire wheel will come off?

I don't want to risk that if that's the case.

Santiago I said about 300km, up a high and snowy pass. I had parking arranged there already with a mechanic. Parking in Mendoza will likely be at the airport. Not many options at this point. Just trying to figure out the best way to get the van somewhere I can leave it and then get us to santiago.

Ugh.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency breakdown advice Reply with quote

Oh... 300 km, that's news, and no way. Damn.

That's why I asked about another lock nut, I wouldn't try yours with new bearings or on a mini-bike. No offense here.

Mendoza only option. If through an entire cell area and low traffic, I know what I'd try at 5-10 if the tow significantly outweighed lots of connected parts in cost, and stopping to cool the failing parts every ten minutes. On the edge, though... but I ponder if your spindle and other parts are already gone anyway...

Regardless, the odds are way against you judging by the photo. Damn, again.

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency breakdown advice Reply with quote

No the wheel won't fall off.
What's happening is that the spindle is being gouged.
That means new bearings won't be able to work properly on the gouged spindle surface and they won't last long either.
You would then need a new spindle.

Edit
Thought it was 30 miles.
180 miles!
Wow.
Depending on how far along the damage already is, wow.
It would probably be in horrific shape.

Here is a quick thread and pics of a slightly damaged spindle, if you have already lost half as you say it may already be too far along.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683971&highlight=damaged+front+spindle
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40

Last edited by levi on Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency breakdown advice Reply with quote

With it that bad and getting worse I'd also be worried about the brake pads dragging on that side and super heating the brake parts. Then the brake performance may be very uneven side to side. Drive slowly and stop to check temps a lot.

I don't even drive my vans across the US without a spare set of wheel bearings for front and rear. Can't imaging not carrying them on such a journey as this.

Mark
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency breakdown advice Reply with quote

Pirate,

I've thought about this off and on for several hours trying to think of an out of the box solution. I've thought about jamming all the grease you can get in there and repeated stops to repeat. No - you're missing rollers and one/more are going to flip sideways and trash the spindle/jam/break something.

I've thought about pulling the bearing out, using just the center piece to reassemble so it properly holds the inner wheel bearing and driving like that with the involved tire pressure very low and the opposite side as high as possible (not even sure this is possible - have to go look at a wheel bearing on my bench). If it would work, this means the inner bearing is handling all the load. I'd grease the inner one, of course to help it cope.

I've thought about making a wood/plastic/metal sliding thing to bolt on and skid along.

I can't think of anything. However I will go get the bearing box to post the part number in case it is useful.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency breakdown advice Reply with quote

I wondered about a big-ass washer to keep the grease in.

If you can find bearings to order there, Holy Moly make sure they're not the earlier style for the smaller spindle made before early-'84!!!

(Or so relayed to me once, by someone matching my description)

— Colin Chapman
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency breakdown advice Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
...Tow to just short of border, stumble across, then stumble or tow to Santiago?...

That seems like a prudent (if possibly expensive) option.

I had to do the same thing when I could not find any tow companies who could cross the Arizona/New Mexico border.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency breakdown advice (busted front wheel bearing) Reply with quote

A crafty used car guy would just pack that full of greasy sawdust...???

Good luck/best wishes... Confused

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency breakdown advice (busted front wheel bearing) Reply with quote

That bearing is good for 3 miles , not 300,and that will be at 3 mph.

Park it.

You also need to up your spare game when you are traveling in Unobtanium regions.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency breakdown advice (busted front wheel bearing) Reply with quote

Thinking ahead from cynicality, sorry...

But if you have an automatic transmission, the tow company will need to bring a flatbed.

— Colin Chapman
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency breakdown advice (busted front wheel bearing) Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
Thinking ahead from cynicality, sorry...

But if you have an automatic transmission, the tow company will need to bring a flatbed.

Removing the rear axles would allow for conventional towing, yes?
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency breakdown advice (busted front wheel bearing) Reply with quote

Well sure if that's failsafe (never had an Auto), worth it in tow savings, and an easy mechanical option both coming and going.

Post was about saving a potential rude awakening if the driver showed up with a hanger and says "There'll be no problem towing your Auto tranny." Shocked

— Colin Chapman
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency breakdown advice (busted front wheel bearing) Reply with quote

Can you tow an auto trans if the engine is idling?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency breakdown advice (busted front wheel bearing) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Can you tow an auto trans if the engine is idling?

It is my understanding that when people kick their autos into neutral and just coast down a hill it kills the auto, so I would say the answer is no. Maybe if you went slow enough?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: