Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Troubleshooting request for rough cold idle
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Van Gooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Troubleshooting request for rough cold idle Reply with quote

Hello Folks:
I am the proud owner of a new to me ‘77 Westy. It is FI, pertronix, hydraulic lifter original type 4.

I scour this site and others and really value the community here. I am hoping to get some advice from some of you seasoned vets for trouble shooting.

I have had the bus for about a month now, and have had my first side of the road breakdown experience today.
I have noticed over the the last two weeks that the bus when cold, will not idle. I have to have my foot on the accelerator for about 4-6 mins until the motor is warm, for it to idle properly. If I don’t let it warm, it will stall.
And then today, it was 90+ degrees here in central Indiana and I was just about home after a two hour trip home, and at a red light, the bus stalled out. After waiting for 15 mins or so, it fired up and then it did it again. Stalled at a stop sign.
So I waited and took it to get gas.
I only run Shell premium gas in it.
I also got a can of Sea Foam and mixed it in. I again had to wait 15 mins at the gas station for it to start.
When trying to start it, it turns over great, but then acts as though it isn’t getting enough gas, as I can have the accelerator 3/4 of way pressed and the engine struggles to run and will not power up into gear.
Then I wait a few minutes more and it runs fine.
Any trouble shooting suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Jamie.
CA bus 2.0 FI

"It is what it is or else it would be weird."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting request for rough cold idle Reply with quote

Start here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620083&highlight=smoke+tester
Then move on to here: http://www.ratwell.com/technical/TempSensorII.html

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting request for rough cold idle Reply with quote

change the fuel filter and do a smoke test for vacuum leaks. Check your fuel pressure too.
Van Gooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting request for rough cold idle Reply with quote

Thanks Gents! I will do and report back afterward...
CA bus 2.0 FI

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting request for rough cold idle Reply with quote

How far do you have to depress the accelerator pedal to get it to idle cold? If you have to floor it, you have a significant issue that must be addressed. If you only have to give it 1/4 throttle or less, I would suggest reading up about Auxiliary Air Regulators (AAR) and their function.

http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?t=7834

The photos are gone, but it might make sense anyway…

Here is another car's site with good details. The engine is a different block, but the principles and valve are all the same:

http://www.firstfives.org/faq/aux_air_valve/aux_air_valve.html

Good luck!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Van Gooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting request for rough cold idle Reply with quote

As an update, I replaced the fuel filter the other evening. I have noticed an improvement in the engine starting and running.
I hope to perform the smoke test to see if there are any leaks.

Thanks Robbie for the info regarding the AAR. I will say that I am having a difficult time finding this on my engine. Any help in that regard would be most welcome.

Best,

Jamie
CA bus 2.0 FI

ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting request for rough cold idle Reply with quote

Van Gooo wrote:
As an update, I replaced the fuel filter the other evening. I have noticed an improvement in the engine starting and running.
I hope to perform the smoke test to see if there are any leaks.

Thanks Robbie for the info regarding the AAR. I will say that I am having a difficult time finding this on my engine. Any help in that regard would be most welcome.

Best,

Jamie

Hopefully this picture will help you.

Looking at this picture it is on the opposite side of the distributor and there is a hose that comes off of the plenum, at the corner, that connects to it. In my picture, if you can see it, the hose has white lettering and says, "gee bee" on it (yours will not as mine is an aftermarket part). In my picture its situated between the pcv (round black thing on a square box) and the exhaust manifold boots (it looks like a 2" hose connecting the plenum to each pipe x4).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is another pic from another member:

Van Gooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting request for rough cold idle Reply with quote

Thanks so much Ivwshane! Really appreciate the good photos.
I have found it now.

Best,

J
CA bus 2.0 FI

Van Gooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting request for rough cold idle Reply with quote

Evening Gents:

I have completed the smoke test and found that one hose (top hose) going into decel valve was leaking. I fixed that leak.
It also appears that the throttle valve housing has a leak too.
I haven’t been able to fix that one yet.
I will say that after fixing decel valve leak, engine ran noticeably smoother. It still want to stall out while warming up, but it’s definitely running smoother.
I will try to fix throttle valve housing tonight.

I will look at temp sensor, AAR, and fuel pressure in the next few days.
Also, my new Bentley came yesterday and has already been a huge help!

Any other thoughts or snares with regard to the throttle valve housing, please advise!

Best,
J
CA bus 2.0 FI

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting request for rough cold idle Reply with quote

Is the TB leaking from the flange where it meets the plenum?, or the cross shaft?

Sounds like you are making great progress so far!

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Van Gooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting request for rough cold idle Reply with quote

I don’t know to be certain. However looking at TB, the smoke was coming from the right side of the TB. Sorry to be vague.
CA bus 2.0 FI

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting request for rough cold idle Reply with quote

don't adjust anything until the source of the leak is found. Then lets see where the bus performance is at. Do you have access to an air to fuel ratio meter to see what the idle CO is when the vacuum leaks are fixed? Once the leaks are fixed and the idle CO set, then you can adjust the aux air valve if needed. If you adjust it now and then fix a vacuum leak, you may have to put it back where it was. If the leak is the throttle shaft then there isn't a lot you can do unless you want to pull the throttle body shaft off and replace the seal. Sometimes the plastic gasket between the throttle body and plenum leaks. Sometimes the S-Boot has a crack and leaks.
Van Gooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting request for rough cold idle Reply with quote

Ok folks, I did another smoke test and found the the top of the throttle body, the brass coil area is the source of a leak.
Also PO had disconnected the egr works. They rigged it to seal it with a makeshift gasket. It failed. I pulled it and cleaned the EGR valve and made a gasket out of high temp rtv. Reinstalled it.
Also found an exhaust gasket is leaking. I got a new gasket for it and reinstall tonight.

My question surrounds the TB. What to do?
Can they be rebuilt?
Do I need a new one? If so, any good advice about where to find one?

Thanks in advance for your time and advice!

Best,

J
CA bus 2.0 FI

Van Gooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting request for rough cold idle Reply with quote

Hi Gents,

Any suggestions on the Throttle body leak?

The leak appears to come from the brass coil itself.
Any help would be most welcomed!

Best,

J
CA bus 2.0 FI

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting request for rough cold idle Reply with quote

it comes from the seal around the shaft. Live with it unless the idle speed and CO cannot be adjusted because of it. You want to set the idle CO to the factory spec and see how it idles and performs with that. If afterwards it still stalls cold add a little more air thru the aux air valve.

If you have a catalytic converter it might have a port on the engine side you can sniff the idle CO. If it is a Federal bus with no catalytic then you can sniff it at the tail pipe. Most smog shops will have a CO sniffer (Air to fuel gauge). The screw that sets the CO is on top of the air to fuel meter. Then set the idle speed with the one on the throttle body. Set the base CO and idle speed with the engine up to temperature, and the oil at least 180F. (operating temp).

Last edited by SGKent on Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting request for rough cold idle Reply with quote

Where in Indy are you? I'm Southside of the city, I'm happy to help or at least give you a second set of eyes for anything? The air cooled crowd in town has been light too, so another bus to run around with would be great.

Plus I'm pretty fluent in late baby FI

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
Van Gooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting request for rough cold idle Reply with quote

aerosurfer wrote:
Where in Indy are you? I'm Southside of the city, I'm happy to help or at least give you a second set of eyes for anything? The air cooled crowd in town has been light too, so another bus to run around with would be great.

Plus I'm pretty fluent in late baby FI

Areosurfer, that would be great. I live in Hamilton county.
Are you going to BNNA this weekend by chance? if, so, perhaps we can meet there. if not, let me know a few days in the next few weeks that we could meet up.

SGKent, thanks for the advice, I have a newbie question. what does "CO" stand for?

Best,

J
CA bus 2.0 FI

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting request for rough cold idle Reply with quote

Van Gooo wrote:
what does "CO" stand for?

Carbon Monoxide.

Слава Україні!
Van Gooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting request for rough cold idle Reply with quote

TY Busdaddy. I thought so bud didn’t want to assume.
CA bus 2.0 FI

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting request for rough cold idle Reply with quote

the CO coming from the engine is a direct relationship to the amount of fuel and air going thru it. When it burns completely it makes CO2. When it burns part way it makes CO. So if the mixture has a little CO in it then it is just rich of a perfect mixture. Too much CO and it is too rich. Too little CO and it is too lean. Much more precise than by ear. Once it is set, and idle speed set then you can see how it runs cold. It may be perfect. Or it may still stall in which case you need to increase just the fast idle which is done thru the aux air valve on a FI bus. It acts as a bypass and adds more air like opening the throttle pedal a little without changing the mixture because it is metered air.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: