Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air cooled experts in Phoenix Arizona.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quintanamobay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:01 am    Post subject: Air cooled experts in Phoenix Arizona. Reply with quote

Does anyone know of any good aircooled mechanics or groups that would be able to help me with some work on my 78 bus? I’m more than willing to pay, but I would really like to learn as well so any individuals that want to make some cash would be welcome.
Liveonjg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Air cooled experts in Phoenix Arizona. Reply with quote

Ok. Let’s take a deep breath and tell us what’s wrong with your bus?

77 FI 2L Westfalia - Ripple
77 FI 2L Westfalia - Althea
62 Dual Carb Single Cab - Lou
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Air cooled experts in Phoenix Arizona. Reply with quote

Quintanamobay wrote:
Does anyone know of any good aircooled mechanics or groups that would be able to help me with some work on my 78 bus? I’m more than willing to pay, but I would really like to learn as well so any individuals that want to make some cash would be welcome.

Both the Itinerant air cooled mechanic, Colin aka Amskeptic

And

Airschooled.com.....Robbie aka asiab

Are the guys to connect to.

The travel and teach you to come to terms with your ass that bears you.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Air cooled experts in Phoenix Arizona. Reply with quote

Take Mike (Desert Busman) a dozen doughnuts and beg for help
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Air cooled experts in Phoenix Arizona. Reply with quote

Your set up is a little different. Your bus is running a center mounted single carb and the fuel pump is wired up to the coil. I don't know how you have for a distributor or how you have it timed.

I am not saying that it can't be tweaked or adjusted to make it run "sort of OK", but it won't be optimal or easy to do running that set up.

Perhaps a local shop that would let you watch them work would be money well spent.

Getting it set up well back to fuel injection or with some dual 2 barrel carbs would likely be the better part of $1K to do.
Quintanamobay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Air cooled experts in Phoenix Arizona. Reply with quote

Liveonjg wrote:
Ok. Let’s take a deep breath and tell us what’s wrong with your bus?

Right now it seems like the main power coning off the battery is shorted out, because if you move it or hit a big bump all the lights go off and the bus dies.
Quintanamobay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Air cooled experts in Phoenix Arizona. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Quintanamobay wrote:

And

I have inquired about their AZ tour stop. I am not totally sure what to expect though.. Does he tear down the bus and teach you about it?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Air cooled experts in Phoenix Arizona. Reply with quote

Look at the battery cables then slide under and look at the starter where all the wires connect. That's the junction between power at the battery and the front of the bus where power is distributed.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Quintanamobay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Air cooled experts in Phoenix Arizona. Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Your set up is a little different. Your bus is running a center mounted single carb and the fuel pump is wired up to the coil. I don't know how you have for a distributor or how you have it timed.

I am not saying that it can't be tweaked or adjusted to make it run "sort of OK", but it won't be optimal or easy to do running that set up.

Perhaps a local shop that would let you watch them work would be money well spent.

Getting it set up well back to fuel injection or with some dual 2 barrel carbs would likely be the better part of $1K to do.

The engine seems like it is running fine. I find my main problem is I do not have anything to compare it against. My bus is the only VW I have ever driven or been up close to. So i guess for all I know its running like garbage!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Air cooled experts in Phoenix Arizona. Reply with quote

Quintanamobay wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Quintanamobay wrote:

And

I have inquired about their AZ tour stop. I am not totally sure what to expect though.. Does he tear down the bus and teach you about it?

You can go to his site to get a feel for How he operates but I would use direct communication to get clarity.

Short version...they both teach YOU How to tear down your Bus and understand it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: