Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buying a Vanagon
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Buying a Vanagon Reply with quote

i have talked at length with a friend who owns a westy weekender. we are very different people in our approaches to Vanagon purchases. he is more "this looks fun" and then begins to make it all work... i'm far more calculated. i research purchases to the point of talking myself out of it...

i'm starting to feel the analysis paralysis and am not sure how to get out of that feedback loop... the more i read here, the more i think i'm in over my head in terms of foundational knowledge about the mechanical aspects of a Vanagon. a Vanagon is not the VW A2 platform i learned to wrench on.

i'm now looking at ads and picking apart the things i can't see, that aren't detailed in the ads . i'm looking at photos of engines, looking at the fuel lines, looking at the coolant hoses, the belts. the signs that the owner has maintained the Vanagon. i know what i want (in a perfect world it's a pop-top multivan)

i know why i want a Vanagon. it's not just a camper. i have a Subaru Outback and camping gear. i'm a seasoned lightweight backpacker. what i want from the Vanagon is not car camping in a tent, it's not backpacking... it's that center of a weekend in the woods. it's about the journey and connecting with my kids in a way that those other ways to enjoy the great outdoors doesn't foster.

i'm worried i'll buy a nightmare and it does the opposite of what i want, to connect with my kids and build amazing memories... even if we break down and have to figure out how to deal with it... that's part of the connecting and growing and bonding. we made it on this trip and we can look back.

but not if the Vanagon is inoperable in the driveway.

Last edited by dabaron on Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: buying a vanagon Reply with quote

a vanagon with a A2 1.8l digifant engine is easier than a A2 jetta to work on
and more comfortable to travel in

and just plain cooler..

yes you can put a VW Inline 4cyl into most any vanagon. the parts and knowledge are out there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: buying a vanagon Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
a vanagon with a A2 1.8l digifant engine is easier than a A2 jetta to work on
and more comfortable to travel in

and just plain cooler..

yes you can put a VW Inline 4cyl into most any vanagon. the parts and knowledge are out there.

the A2 platform was easy for me because we took them apart in the salvage yard (crazy ray's in baltimore) and learned a ton about them. i'm not in my early 20's anymore and the stock of Vanagon to dissemble is lacking Smile

i want to start with a stock Vanagon engine. learn it, understand it, probably even rebuild it. and then think about a subie 2.5.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: buying a vanagon Reply with quote

My 83 1/2 cost me all of $400 and had problems from one end to the other. It went into service immediately as both a daily driver and a travel vehicle, including long trips to Mexico and the Grand Canyon. The number of breakdowns was low and they were easily fixed, and with time I took care of the more major problems. Today a dozen years later it is a pretty decent vehicle and I have put something like 100-120K miles on the clock.

I don't keep careful track of my expenses, but including purchase price, maintenance, tires, and such, I doubt my cost have exceeded $5000 at this point. Yes, I do have a lot of labor in it.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: buying a vanagon Reply with quote

Sounds like you can do regular maintenance and then some. Just find one that is not a rusty hulk and get to work. Do not let fear hold you back. Whatever you buy will need some level of work in the near future but you know this.

I have bought my last two vanagons from Denver due to the dry bodies. And I drove them home to MD.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Vanagon Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
a Vanagon is not the VW A2 platform i learned to wrench on.

It's closer than you think, and if you learned on A2's then you're already well ahead of a lot of people who buy Vanagons. A lot of owners, including me, have found their way to Vanagons via Rabbits, Golfs, Sciroccos...Find a good one and pull the trigger, knowing that you're going to have to spend some time and money making it yours.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Vanagon Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
dabaron wrote:
a Vanagon is not the VW A2 platform i learned to wrench on.

It's closer than you think, and if you learned on A2's then you're already well ahead of a lot of people who buy Vanagons. A lot of owners, including me, have found their way to Vanagons via Rabbits, Golfs, Sciroccos...Find a good one and pull the trigger, knowing that you're going to have to spend some time and money making it yours.

i've been reading thru the Bentley and the quirky VW engineering we all know and love is there so yeah, it's a VW!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: buying a vanagon Reply with quote

I thought you wanted to spend time traveling with your kids.. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: buying a vanagon Reply with quote

All the things you are doing pre-purchase are things you should be doing when buying any used car. It is a good thing that some of the things you see are discouraging you from buying a particular van.

You seem to know what you want. Wait until you find the right one. Don't rush yourself and end up with something you don't want.

Don't resort to importing one if you don't have to. If you do end up importing (LAST RESORT) do it in person. Make it a family vacation. Inspect it yourself, familiarize yourself with the purchasing process in that country so you don't get scammed, and book a freight forwarder. I imported a van using a service recommended here and I ended up selling it for a considerable loss. PM for more information on my experience if you want to go this route.

Expand your search radius. Make a trip out of the inspection and try to book a few inspections in the same area. Even if you don't end up buying one you end up with a trip with the family and some memories.

Good luck in your search.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: buying a vanagon Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
I thought you wanted to spend time traveling with your kids.. Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: buying a vanagon Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
My 83 1/2 cost me all of $400 and had problems from one end to the other...
I don't keep careful track of my expenses, but including purchase price, maintenance, tires, and such, I doubt my cost have exceeded $5000 at this point. Yes, I do have a lot of labor in it.

my budget is really limited. $8,000 USD is my absolute cap and must be usable condition for that price, and thus my struggle. i would minimize costs with labor, but that only gets me so far.

the dream is a pop-top weekender configuration, for 8k or less. making that dream reality is a different story.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Vanagon Reply with quote

not as powerfly satisfying as a 2.5l Subie. but the fastest easiest and best DIY approach is the ABA 2.0 from a 93-99 jetta/golf.
I'd go with the 96-99 OBD-II

of course there are pros&cons for every varied swap. the 50* ABA isn't w/o compromises. but the 115hp is actually quite enough power for eastern US highways & Byways. would only really be lacking in high altitude mtns.

I ran a 95hp 1.8l Digifant (A2) motor for years quite happily..

but the passat 1.8T is splendid.. and well you get to keep it VW that way FWIW.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Vanagon Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
not as powerfly satisfying as a 2.5l Subie. but the fastest easiest and best DIY approach is the ABA 2.0 from a 93-99 jetta/golf.
I'd go with the 96-99 OBD-II

of course there are pros&cons for every varied swap. the 50* ABA isn't w/o compromises. but the 115hp is actually quite enough power for eastern US highways & Byways. would only really be lacking in high altitude mtns.

I ran a 95hp 1.8l Digifant (A2) motor for years quite happily..

but the passat 1.8T is splendid.. and well you get to keep it VW that way FWIW.

i need a Vanagon first. Very Happy
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Vanagon Reply with quote

offer this guy $5k. https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/d/85-vanagon-pop-top/6652803034.html

the fiberglass isn't really that tough to repair..
$5k allows you to remove the roof for repair and update the canvas with a 3 window tent..

and buy a proper rear bumper..

it's been listed for 26 days at this point.

Quote:
For sale is a very nice Vanagon, with minimal rust issues. Come check it out, priced for a quick sale. Manual transmission.

I've used all German parts, when available:
New brakes (rotors, pads, bearings, hardware)
Flex lines
Fuel Tank re-seal
New tires
Radiator

Have driven it to Appalachian Mountains with no problems. There was nothing wrong with it to begin with, but I always do preventative maintenance. It's ingrained in me from working on aircraft.

Has top damage on fiberglass, which is why I'm only asking $7500.

dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Vanagon Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
offer this guy $5k. https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/d/85-vanagon-pop-top/6652803034.html

the fiberglass isn't really that tough to repair..
$5k allows you to remove the roof for repair and update the canvas with a 3 window tent..

i spoke with this seller and he sent me more pictures. the chassis above the kitchen window has a massive dent from a tree falling on the Vanagon. the pop top is heavily damaged in that area.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Vanagon Reply with quote

Ohh well hell... shoulda put that in the ad.. that's a $2500 camper if that for that kind of damage/bodywork. and I have a rolled over van my brother is rebuilding..

ad states fiberglass work.. shows the back little bit and omits that big ass issue..

seller needs a reality kick in the shin..
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Vanagon Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

and states fiberglass work.. shows the back little bit and omits that big ass issue..

if a seller is upfront and has reasonable expectations no one wastes time and energy. this is not that seller.
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: buying a vanagon Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
My 83 1/2 cost me all of $400 and had problems from one end to the other...

my budget is really limited. $8,000 USD is my absolute cap and must be usable condition for that price, and thus my struggle. i would minimize costs with labor, but that only gets me so far.

the dream is a pop-top weekender configuration, for 8k or less. making that dream reality is a different story.

it ain't your neck of the woods and is definitely a projec but-

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2179954
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Vanagon Reply with quote

For that budget, I'd consider buying a Carat and then camperize from that basis. They have the same basic interior as the Weekenders, so just add curtains and you've got an instant camper that can be modded for a poptop or hightop at a later date and budget. Then again, your budget is also in '93 EV Weekender range, which is a far far better vehicle for the money.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Vanagon Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
For that budget, I'd consider buying a Carat and then camperize from that basis. They have the same basic interior as the Weekenders, so just add curtains and you've got an instant camper that can be modded for a poptop or hightop at a later date and budget. Then again, your budget is also in '93 EV Weekender range, which is a far far better vehicle for the money.

i had come to the same conclusion with regard to getting a tin top Carat/Bluestar and possibly adding the pop top conversion as budget allows. i had looked at EV's but honestly, a large part of the appeal of the Vanagon is it is iconic and a part of my childhood - we lived near a VW dealership and when we'd drive past there would be a small row of 3 or 4 with the pop tops up out on the grass out front. i thought they were so cool and weird and modern. i never thought i could have one. but i can.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: