Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buying a Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Vanagon Reply with quote

and like magic, look what is listed today...

https://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/d/1987-volkswagen-vanagon-bus/6676367023.html

87 westy weekender that looks like a solid starting point...
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Vanagon Reply with quote

don't listen to Casey an EV is inferior to a vanagon in every way except the power plant..
and it's significantly easier to upgrade a vanagon powerplant to suit your needs and desires than get any extra interior space in a cramped EV.

I'm not just talking out my ass.. like Casey I have owned both. but I don't like that flavor of cool aid..

that's why we put a EV 5cyl into my mom's 86 vanagon.
and a passat 1.8T into my formerly air cooled van.

no one says.. nice minivan man.. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Vanagon Reply with quote

It would be way easier to install an AEB into a T4 than a T3. Almost plug n' play. I daily drive a T3 around town and love it very much, but out on the open road, the T4 is king. Lots of creature comforts that budget minded T3 owners can only dream of, and the '93 models are a downright bargain relative to any Westfalia T3s. I totally get the T3 mystique, but at my age I'm mostly concerned about where the rubber hits the road. I'll continue to putter around town in my quirky T3, but when we want to wander to destinations beyond, the T4 is our go-to machine. No contest. At. All.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Vanagon Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:

it's about the journey and connecting with my kids in a way that those other ways to enjoy the great outdoors doesn't foster.

I'll recommend challenging yourself on this assumption. Countless millions have done what you describe w/out a Vanagon. If you want a Vanagon because you like it then say so. If you want to connect with your kids take the $8K, throw the kids in the back of the Subie and hit the woods.

FWIW, YMMV.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Vanagon Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
It would be way easier to install an AEB into a T4 than a T3. Almost plug n' play. I daily drive a T3 around town and love it very much, but out on the open road, the T4 is king. Lots of creature comforts that budget minded T3 owners can only dream of, and the '93 models are a downright bargain relative to any Westfalia T3s. I totally get the T3 mystique, but at my age I'm mostly concerned about where the rubber hits the road. I'll continue to putter around town in my quirky T3, but when we want to wander to destinations beyond, the T4 is our go-to machine. No contest. At. All.

Not just mystique, let's do some Jeepage. 😂👍🏼😂

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Vanagon Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
dabaron wrote:

it's about the journey and connecting with my kids in a way that those other ways to enjoy the great outdoors doesn't foster.

I'll recommend challenging yourself on this assumption. Countless millions have done what you describe w/out a Vanagon. If you want a Vanagon because you like it then say so. If you want to connect with your kids take the $8K, throw the kids in the back of the Subie and hit the woods.

FWIW, YMMV.

I only very rarely discourage a potential buyer... in fact don't think I ever have... but in this case, and with your budget, I'm afraid I agree with Jim on this.

Ours cost $8.000 in 2013 for a rough Westy, and another ten in short order. If you really are willing to learn working on it, I revert part of my discouragement, just would hate you spending the wad and feeling bad if it doesn't work out -- future issues and expense-wise.

If my decision I'd call Tex's Teardrops and get a mondo trailer from him. Guy is Real Deal and not greedy so way below market on really sweet rigs! Just thought...

(Provided you have enough power to pull it, 150 hp or so should do it)

Totally respect your wanting to create memories for your kids, Goodonya!!! And by the way, we're career backpackers, too.

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Vanagon Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
and like magic, look what is listed today...

https://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/d/1987-volkswagen-vanagon-bus/6676367023.html

87 westy weekender that looks like a solid starting point...

So go look at it and make an offer if it is worth it. Your budget is maxed for now but that will change as time goes on. Get in the game.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Vanagon Reply with quote

If 8k is the max lump sum you can do right now, but you can put in a $500 here and there afterward it might work. But for 8k you might end up spending more time fixing it than actually spending time with the kids and camping. Its a gamble and you probably already know this by all your searches of what is in the 8k range.
greggarthurevans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Vanagon Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
If 8k is the max lump sum you can do right now, but you can put in a $500 here and there afterward it might work. But for 8k you might end up spending more time fixing it than actually spending time with the kids and camping. Its a gamble and you probably already know this by all your searches of what is in the 8k range.

Ive never been sad that I kept looking.

This is especially true for Vanagons and wives. Its got to feel like "oh man I'm glad I saved myself."

I just picked of a very well running Hightop that I love for $7,000 in Humboldt CA. Worth a plane ticket to pick it up and luckily my wife drove it from CA to OH without a prob. (I got the details in my blog below. )
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Vanagon Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

FWIW, YMMV.

we have car camped many times. i grew up car camping. i know it can be done with out a Vanagon, i have done it for nearly 46 years. i don't have to justify myself, but i have stated in this thread that i want one and why. i have denied myself many things i want over the years, it's part of being a responsible adult. i'm now at a point in my life that the convergence of my wants and the needs of my children can work together.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Vanagon Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
jimf909 wrote:

FWIW, YMMV.

we have car camped many times. i grew up car camping. i know it can be done with out a Vanagon, i have done it for nearly 46 years. i don't have to justify myself, but i have stated in this thread that i want one and why. i have denied myself many things i want over the years, it's part of being a responsible adult. i'm now at a point in my life that the convergence of my wants and the needs of my children can work together.

Deferred gratification is a sign of maturity; waiting until age 30 to buy a motorcycle, for instance, or waiting until more work is done on a fixer upper home in retirement before buying another one. Good for you. In case you decide to consider a T4 but still want a Weekender, look at this one. Dead A/C might be a dealbreaker here in the muggy East.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/cto/d/classic-vw-eurovan-mv/6670556542.html

Classic VW Eurovan MV Weekender (pop-top van) 1993 - $4500 (Columbia Heights)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1323 Harvard St. NW

1993 VW Eurovan me Weekender poptop

condition: fair
cylinders: 5 cylinders
drive: fwd
fuel: gas
odometer: 215000
paint color: white
size: full-size
title status: clean
transmission: automatic
type: other

For sale, classic 1993 Eurovan Weekender. Good shape for a 25 year old vehicle. Just went to old rag, and back with no issues. Sleeps four.

The good:
* Drives well; handles great.
* Cool vehicle.
* Body does not appear to have Seam rot.
* Everyone loves it.
* Transmission recently rebuilt (County Transmission in Vienna); Suspension recently replaced (Auto Tech Services in DC).
* Makes an awesome summertime portable sauna if you leave the windows closed. - good for your health.

The not so bad:
* Pop top Seal needs replacing ($100ish & 1/2 hour.)
* Radio re wiring needed. (Memory power disconnected)
* Ac is dead.
* Heater core leak? (Might be a hose)
* Idle air controller brains need sorting: Idles OK, but this is without AC. Recommend sorting prior to AC.
* Non critical plastic trim.

The deal:
This is a classic, but it needs restoration, or at least an in depth servicing.
I have been using it for years, but no longer have the time/patience to deal. Something something kids.

If you want to talk, email me and I will call you back.

Best offer by August 21st
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Vanagon Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Your budget is maxed for now but that will change as time goes on. Get in the game.

i have reached out to the seller, awaiting a reply. this fits my expectations perfectly. usable but needs some work. if it can pass state inspections with just a little work, all the better.

appreciate the encouragement.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Vanagon Reply with quote

Good luck! We bought one that was good enough for a shakedown camping trip the very next weekend, and good enough for an already-planned thousand mile weeklong trip the following Labor Day weekend.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Vanagon Reply with quote

E1 wrote:

If you really are willing to learn working on it, I revert part of my discouragement, just would hate you spending the wad and feeling bad if it doesn't work out -- future issues and expense-wise.

i think my expectations are in line with my budget and abilities. a Vanagon is first a 30 year old vehicle, then a cool camper. i am expecting some systems will need immediate attention (FUEL LINES!!!) and those are already budgeted (and in my busdepot and vancafe carts).

i'm not naive, i understand that things will break, i will cuss, and money will be spent. i think my purchase price cap represents a good balance between a good running van that needs some attention and the amount of work required to address the issues.

my dream is not for a showroom Vanagon, it's for one that has character, signs of use, and signs of being loved. it will get dirty, it will get dents and scrapes, it will be driven by my sons.

Last edited by dabaron on Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Vanagon Reply with quote

Worth taking a look. Hits a lot of marks. But no A/c or any bits and some body damage. The arb awning and road shower is a bonus if you get it in the deal.

https://yupyi.com/details.php?id=18003796
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Vanagon Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
Worth taking a look. Hits a lot of marks. But no A/c or any bits and some body damage. The arb awning and road shower is a bonus if you get it in the deal.

https://yupyi.com/details.php?id=18003796

that looks like a scam. states it's in MA but there is no inspection sticker on the windshield, no front plate, and those photos are not from MA.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Vanagon Reply with quote

Could be a scam or a guy who is pricing his van realistically. Saw a couple that looked suspicious and didn't post them here.

Give it a shot or not. Good luck with your searches.
SyncroHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Vanagon Reply with quote

For descriptions of the Vanagon models sold in the USA check out:
http://www.vanagons.org/

Still missing the 1982-1985 years, but otherwise quite complete source of information on what your choices/models are.

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Vanagon Reply with quote

SyncroHead wrote:
For descriptions of the Vanagon models sold in the USA check out:
http://www.vanagons.org/

Still missing the 1982-1985 years, but otherwise quite complete source of information on what your choices/models are.

Jim

thanks. i love the brochures. i've settled on the "weekender" interior configuration. camp cooking typically happens over a fire or in a dutch oven. mmmmm apple cobbler.....
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Vanagon Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
Could be a scam or a guy who is pricing his van realistically. Saw a couple that looked suspicious and didn't post them here.

Give it a shot or not. Good luck with your searches.

scammer.

http://uniclassiccars.com/volkswagen/218139-vw-vanagon-westfalia-subaru-conversion.html
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: