Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

smoke coming from valve cover
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1882vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: smoke coming from valve cover Reply with quote

Hey everybody! First post here so im hoping you guys can help me! i just finished doing some maintainence like valves, valve gaskets, oil, timing, and carb adjust, and when i got to adjust my carb my car would just not run right, and i could smell a somewhat burning smell from the motor. soon, some white smoke was coming from only the pass side valve cover/exhaust area. the car had only idled and not driven and the dip stick felt quite hot. anyone have clues? its a 1600dp, svda w electronic ignition, and 34pict3
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: smoke coming from valve cover Reply with quote

1882vw wrote:
Hey everybody! First post here so im hoping you guys can help me! i just finished doing some maintainence like valves, valve gaskets, oil, timing, and carb adjust, and when i got to adjust my carb my car would just not run right, and i could smell a somewhat burning smell from the motor. soon, some white smoke was coming from only the pass side valve cover/exhaust area. the car had only idled and not driven and the dip stick felt quite hot. anyone have clues? its a 1600dp, svda w electronic ignition, and 34pict3

It is probably just oil being burned off from you having removed the valve cover.

Do a good visual inspection. If you can visually see oil dripping from the valve cover, fix it. Or if it is dripping from some where else, fix it. Or post some pictures, so that we can give you food for thought.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
1882vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: smoke coming from valve cover Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
1882vw wrote:

It is probably just oil being burned off from you having removed the valve cover.

Do a good visual inspection. If you can visually see oil dripping from the valve cover, fix it. Or if it is dripping from some where else, fix it. Or post some pictures, so that we can give you food for thought.

nothings leaking. could it be linked to my car running poorly? i can’t adjust the carb properly and when i floor it the car almost slows down because it doesn’t “catch”
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: smoke coming from valve cover Reply with quote

1882vw wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:
1882vw wrote:

nothings leaking.

Something is leaking, it is a VW!

Quote:
could it be linked to my car running poorly? i can’t adjust the carb properly and when i floor it the car almost slows down because it doesn’t “catch”

Could be. Sounds a lot like a vacuum leak. Might be time for a carb overhaul.

Also, could be a distributor that has a bad vacuum can or the weights are frozen. Might be a bad condenser, a bad coil or poorly timed distributor.

I would be sure the valves are good, adjustment wise, cold. Warm it up and do a compression test. From there I would decide which direction to venture off into.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: smoke coming from valve cover Reply with quote

Well, usually when you have the valve cover off the engine to adjust valves and install new valve cover gaskets a little oil gets on the Heater Heat exchanger and if it's really hot because there is no fresh air hose connected to it then it will smoke. Best to use a shop rag carefully folded an laid on the top of the heat exchanger just under the bottom edge of the valve cover before removing it. Also if the car is not level or is over filled with motor oil, oil may run out more than normal when the valve cover is 1st removed. Valves should be adjusted when the engine is cold.
More troubling to me is that you adjusted or (did you adjust the valves?) and Also the timing. If the timing is set wrong they will overheat and run poorly. If you set the valves to tight then it may not idle well and would have less power. If you set the valves wrong say, too loose or you adjusted one to have .006" clearance when it was open, you would likely hear a lot of knocking, a valve tappet racket sound. It's not too big a deal if that happens as long as the car is not driven that way. Just set them right. Remember adjusting valves is pretty simple, just make sure the engine is in the valve closed position for the valve you want to adjust. Typically valves get adjusted when their piston up, the valves close every other stroke. TDC for #1, #3 and BDC for #2, #4.

::::Flywheel::::
::::::::::::::::::
#3********#1
#4********#2
:::::Pulley::::::

The timing when set Static sets at -5' on a Dual Port and +7.5' Single Port Before the first mark on the pulley to align with the split on the case when the pully is turned clockwise. Don't run the engine with the fan belt off they over heat really quick that way.
If your using a timing light the max advance when revved will be over 30' but not over 40' much on a Dual port depends on the Distributor. So you need to read the numbers on the side of the distributor and see if you have a Dual Port or a Single Port and also answer the question of the Model of Carburetor it has. Single Port's Had Pict-30's and Dual Ports have Pict-34/3.

Dual Port with a 009 distributor Moving between 7.5' and 29':

Link

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: