Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Considering an Autostick Bug
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Considering an Autostick Bug Reply with quote

HippyTom wrote:

The top will have to be completely replaced, including some wood bows. I've never done one, but I've figured out how to do everything else on these cars. I'll find out more this week. Just depends on what I can get it for.

I'll let you know how it goes.

HippyTom, in my perusing around on the internet I came across this website for an upholstery supply company that was clearing out its VW items:

https://www.dltcorporation.com/searchresults.asp?Search=volkswagen

It looks like they have some vert top headliner and bow replacement items if you scroll down on that page, I have no idea whether these price quotes are anything decent since I've never had to price vert parts, but you can take a look and see what you think.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Considering an Autostick Bug Reply with quote

To be perfectly honest, the autostick gets a pretty bad rep these days primarily from people who don't care enough to take the time to understand them, or that don't look at the context of what these cars were supposed to be back in the day.

I've test drove a couple, and one of them in particular was surprisingly peppy, and with the fact that I drive 150-175 miles daily as part of my commute, I would love one less pedal to fool with in gridlock traffic. If I found one in good shape for a good price I would gladly buy one!

The first time I drove one felt pretty gross, but I feel the same way in any automatic. It's sort of like that one girl you were ashamed to tell your friends you got with, It may sure be fun, but it's not for bragging rights, do it for you, man. Have fun.

Personally, a 71-72 autostick super beetle sounds like a fantastic daily driver, comfy ride, on top of the assisted shifts sounds pretty luxurious Surprised

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markj60616
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Considering an Autostick Bug Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
If you read the manual it says you may drive it using all the forward gears, low, 1 and 2 or skip low and do the 2 to 3,shift or simply leave it in high gear all the time which if You’re not in a hurry works too. Rather than make a decision off what other people think I’d go drive a few cars and see for myself. As for the newer 6 and 8 speed autos I love em having driven Audi A4 with tiptronic, butter smooth stays in the power band all the time. Wife and I also fans of CVT.

My 2014 has tiptronic and I agree!
original engine

1978 Type 2 Panel Bus
original engine 2.0L FI

2014 Beetle 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering an Autostick Bug Reply with quote

I drove an autostick ghia for several years through late high school & college + a few years after that. It was a great car, I always started out in the L (1)gear since I liked the little bit of extra oomph it had to get going.
Main problem I had with it was that wire that ran to the stick shifter was cracked and needed to be replaced so when it would short out, it wouldn't shift...a minor problem.
I had read somewhere about them that the clutch/tranny lasted longer since there was no 'human error' in the shifting, not sure if that's true or not.
johnjhazel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering an Autostick Bug Reply with quote

I have owned a 73 autostick Super Beetle and a 76 4 speed standard Beetle. My autostick had a 009(I have since learned there are better choices...such as a proper autostick distributor), 1641cc kit, and an extractor exhaust. It was no slug. I did not find much difference between starting off in LOW vs DRIVE 1. I never just left it in DRIVE 2. I read that constantly starting off in DRIVE 2 is a good way to blow out the trans seals. I do not know if that is true. I did enjoy not having to shift out of 1st gear as with the manual after going 50 feet. LOL.
My autostick kept eating drive plates as the torque converter was out of round. This all was before the days of the Internet. I would love to have another autostick beetle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ripperfarms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Considering an Autostick Bug Reply with quote

So........what does it take to convert a 4 speed to an Autostick.........or can it really be done?

Dave.......in central Illinois
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Considering an Autostick Bug Reply with quote

you need the complete autostick oil pump assembly, ATF tank and lines, transaxle, servo valve, shift rod, and all the assorted vacuum lines. In addition the carb you use needs to have the right vacuum ports as well.

Personally, If you go this route you may need a donor car to ensure you get everything. May be worth networking with a guy that wants to put a 4 speed in his car and arrange a swap project.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering an Autostick Bug Reply with quote

I would suggest selling your car and looking for a clean autostick that is in good working order-converting a 4 speed to a autostick is really not worth the time and effort. You will be reducing performance, mileage, and resale value. A 4 speed VW is so easy to drive, really-the clutch is light, the shifter is easy to use-that I don't really see the point. I live in Chicago and the traffic is terrible here, but driving a stick in a stock VW here is nothing. Just my opinion of course. I have had a couple of them, and they are ok but I would prefer the 4 speed without a doubt.
ripperfarms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Considering an Autostick Bug Reply with quote

chicagovw wrote:
I would suggest selling your car and looking for a clean autostick that is in good working order-converting a 4 speed to a autostick is really not worth the time and effort. You will be reducing performance, mileage, and resale value. A 4 speed VW is so easy to drive, really-the clutch is light, the shifter is easy to use-that I don't really see the point. I live in Chicago and the traffic is terrible here, but driving a stick in a stock VW here is nothing. Just my opinion of course. I have had a couple of them, and they are ok but I would prefer the 4 speed without a doubt.

Well I want to thank everyone for the help. I think I will take the above advice and look for an AutoStick.

I am 74 and having trouble with my legs/ankles/feet so although I can operate a 4 speed an AutoStick may help me out.

Given I now own two VWs am currently working on a deal on a Baja Bug.......I really like them but I have never seen one that is an AutoStick.......and I don't think I will.

Dave..........in Central Illinois Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: