Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beetle feels like its running out of gas, then won't start?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TENNESSEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Beetle feels like its running out of gas, then won't start? Reply with quote

So I've had my Beetle for quite a while now and seldom had any problem out of it, until last week.

I'd suspected the battery/alternator were failing, and had them tested at an Autozone a couple days prior to this incident. Turns out that the battery was on it's last legs and the voltage regulator in the alternator had failed.

I was on my way back to my house from errands, and the car suddenly began sputtering and jerking.
I barely made it back into my driveway.

I suspected the battery had fully failed, so I replaced it
(along with the spark plug and coil/distributor wires, since one of those had failed several months ago)
(I also got a replacement alternator, but haven't installed it yet.)

No change, the car will turn over all day, and sputter like it's trying to start, but will not run.

I've checked the fuel pump, the plug wire arrangement on the distributor, and the fuse box just in case.
Next thing to check I guess would be the points, and compression

Anybody have an educated guess at what's going on?
Thanks
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle feels like its running out of gas, then won't start? Reply with quote

If it just cranks over and maybe sputters a bit, spray a shot of starting fluid down the carb to see if that gets it to kick over briefly. If it does, check for crud blocking the carb float needle valve, main or idle jets clogged, and things of that nature. If the starting fluid doesn't make a noticeable difference, check for a failing condenser, burned points, and a bad cap or rotor.
TENNESSEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle feels like its running out of gas, then won't start? Reply with quote

Thanks!
I'll check with starting fluid tomorrow, see what it does.

I have checked that fuel is getting to the fuel pump.
And taking the outlet hose off and cranking it over results in it sort of "belching" fuel out in spurts.
I don't know if this would be correct, or if the pump is, even when cranking, supposed to be a continuous flow.
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle feels like its running out of gas, then won't start? Reply with quote

TENNESSEE wrote:
Thanks!
I'll check with starting fluid tomorrow, see what it does.

I have checked that fuel is getting to the fuel pump.
And taking the outlet hose off and cranking it over results in it sort of "belching" fuel out in spurts.
I don't know if this would be correct, or if the pump is, even when cranking, supposed to be a continuous flow.

its not continuous flow
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TENNESSEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle feels like its running out of gas, then won't start? Reply with quote

Got it solved!
It was either a dead condenser, or the points had slipped.
Here's a video of what it had been doing:

Link

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: