Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reverse light switch mechanism in transmission not working?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rty1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reverse light switch mechanism in transmission not working? Reply with quote

Everything works except whatever is inside the transmission that switches the switch. Any ideas?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse light switch mechanism in transmission not working? Reply with quote

If you removed the switch and tested it for continuity

nO, closed when activated.....

It’s time to take the trans apart. Not.

Wire in a switch to the dash and bypass the trans switch.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse light switch mechanism in transmission not working? Reply with quote

The switches are finicky, and they require a washer like spacer. If it was removed and you tested it and the switch itself is good, don't go assuming the trans is the problem until you are sure that you've got the right spacer/washer.
rty1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse light switch mechanism in transmission not working? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
The switches are finicky, and they require a washer like spacer. If it was removed and you tested it and the switch itself is good, don't go assuming the trans is the problem until you are sure that you've got the right spacer/washer.

Thanks I was just reading that a spacer might be needed. Any ideas on size?
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse light switch mechanism in transmission not working? Reply with quote

My old transmission had a very finicky reverse light. It wasn't the switch itself, but the selector shaft that actuates it was worn. It was a matter of very fine adjustment to get the light to come on in reverse rather than (strangely) 4th gear.

As the transmission hadn't had the 3/4 hub thingy replaced, had 215,000 miles on it and leaked like a sieve out of the seals I just replaced it with a rebuilt one with beefier 3rd and 4th gears to accommodate the Subaru EJ22 that was being fitted.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse light switch mechanism in transmission not working? Reply with quote

I lost track of the reverse light spacer when I installed my "new" (rebuilt) tranny last summer.
Actually, I think I never got it off the old unit & returned the core with the spacer stuck to the case... Embarassed

Long story short, I found out shortly afterwards that my reverse lights were coming on...IN EVERY GEAR! Shocked Rolling Eyes Embarassed

After some Samba searching to verify the specs, I found a suitable washer (close as possible to 0.90mm...
...I think mine was slightly over that), popped it in place & it's been perfect ever since... Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse light switch mechanism in transmission not working? Reply with quote

Boy, the automatics are super easy to deal with the reverse switch. It's a gigantic 1940's looking heavy copper switch more befitting a train. Easy to get to by the shifter, etc.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
rty1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse light switch mechanism in transmission not working? Reply with quote

UPDATE:
i definitely have the washer spacer installed. i tried tightening and loosening the switch. nothing. i had the crazy idea of removing the washer and IT WORKS!

so yeah, sometimes you need the washer, sometimes you don't i guess.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse light switch mechanism in transmission not working? Reply with quote

Counter-intuition FTW!!! Wink

What are the chances you had (2) spacers on there before you removed one...???

<shrug>

- Dave

fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse light switch mechanism in transmission not working? Reply with quote

Check it doesn't also come on in other gears than just reverse - BTDTGTTS.
rty1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse light switch mechanism in transmission not working? Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
Check it doesn't also come on in other gears than just reverse - BTDTGTTS.

i'll check
Racin_jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse light switch mechanism in transmission not working? Reply with quote

any one have any secrets they'd be willing to share as to how to remove the switch while its still in the car?
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse light switch mechanism in transmission not working? Reply with quote

Racin_jason wrote:
any one have any secrets they'd be willing to share as to how to remove the switch while its still in the car?

"car" ???

Vanagon I hope. Automatic? Manual? Year?
Racin_jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse light switch mechanism in transmission not working? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Racin_jason wrote:

"car" ???

Vanagon I hope. Automatic? Manual? Year?

sorry i ended up here via the search function. looking for beetle info.. I'll see myself out.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse light switch mechanism in transmission not working? Reply with quote

No harm, no foul... Wink

- Dave

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: