Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pump Timing Adjustment
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuzbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Pump Timing Adjustment Reply with quote

As posted in another thread, today I got my van through it's first MOT since I've owned .

Anyway, while I was in there, I took advantage of the situation to ask the mechanic what he reckoned to the still pretty rattly sound of my engine at lower revs and acceleration. And he confirmed my own suspicions [and those of some of you folks on the forum here] that it sounded like the diesel pump timing was slightly advanced.

So, given, I did the cambelt myself only a few months ago and know that everything is set spot on as regards those aspects of the timing etc. I'm pondering what the best way to go about tweaking the injector pump timing is.

I've watched a couple of vids on YouTube where people show you how to do it and it doesn't look too onerous a job. But obviously it requires a special timing gauge to screw into the pump, to take the readings etc. So basically I'm wondering:

1: Given I've not done this particular job before, do you think it's an easy enough job to justify me buying a pump timing tool and doing it myself?

or...

2: Is it the kind of job that's so basic it would actually work out cheaper for me just to drop it into a diesel place [or even, god forbid VW themselves as I have a VW Commercial centre about 5 miles from where I live] and let them do it, rather than buying the special tools?

or...

Is it the kind of job that you could do yourself without the special tools, just by listening to the engine?
1992 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
1993 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
1992 VW T3 1,6TD Syncro [SOLD]
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Pump Timing Adjustment Reply with quote

If you intend to hold on to that engine, I would get the cam and pump lock tools along with the dial indicator setup.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pump Timing Adjustment Reply with quote

I've manually adjusted pump timing on 1.6 NA engines by loosening the pump bolts slightly, and then using a huge pair of Channellocks to rotate the pump; toward the head to advance, and away to retard. I did this with the engine running so I could hear the changes in clacking.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Pump Timing Adjustment Reply with quote

Casey's method is very simple and you can definitely hear the timing differences as you rock the pump back and forth.

also, don't discount that you may have injectors that need service. i would notice more nailing as the injectors would deteriorate, evidenced by removing them and pop testing them and i'd find that they would be squirting instead of producing a nice fog. start by trying a tank additive for cleaning the injectors. i could notice a cleaning difference with Diesel Kleen.

https://powerservice.com/psp_product/diesel-kleen-cetane-boost/

if that doesn't help, a fresh set of injectors does wonders. i'd rebuild my own with new nozzles and set the pop pressure, but that is a bit deep for some folks.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stuzbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Pump Timing Adjustment Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
If you intend to hold on to that engine, I would get the cam and pump lock tools along with the dial indicator setup.

I got the cam and pump lock tools already, for when I did the cam-belt. So I'd just need the pump gauge to complete my collection.

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I've manually adjusted pump timing on 1.6 NA engines by loosening the pump bolts slightly...

How much rotation are we talking? Is it fractions of a mm? [or whatever that is in yankee cubits]

DanHoug wrote:
...also, don't discount that you may have injectors that need service...

That's the other thing remaining to be eliminated from my "possible causes" list. I'm suspecting that the injectors are pretty OK, as it starts on the button and runs clean as a whistle. But I'll be putting a few tanks with injector cleaner through it just in case they're a bit sticky from being unused for so long. PO had the van for 5 years and only put 200 miles on it. So I think it's spent most of that time standing in a yard.

The mechanic at the MOT station reckoned he could hear something in the way the revs dropped after he took his foot off the pedal that indicated the pump timing was advanced. I think he said something like "You can hear it struggling to come back down". Can't say as I particularly noticed anything myself. But then his ear would be more professionally attuned than mine.
1992 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
1993 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Pump Timing Adjustment Reply with quote

stuzbot wrote:
How much rotation are we talking? Is it fractions of a mm? [or whatever that is in yankee cubits]

Because it is rotation, the measurement would be angular - degrees is typical. 1/2° has a noticeable effect. If you want a linear measurement then you can consider where the pump case meets the pump bracket at the most visible 'corner' of the triangular flange with the three mounting bolts. At that point if you scribe a mark with a utility blade between the pump case and the pump bracket, then moving the pump 1 degree is approx 1 mm of linear movement. Yes, fractions of a mm is what is required.
stuzbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Pump Timing Adjustment Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
...Yes, fractions of a mm is what is required.

I've just been looking for the timing gauge on Amazon and eBay and they only seem to come as part of a kit with various other bits like the pump & cam locking tools [which I've already got] and seem to go for around £50 and up.

Seems a bit much for something I'll hopefully only need to do once. So I might have a go at 'playing it by ear'. If I scribe it first in its current position,at least I can always put it back if I make things worse. :?
1992 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
1993 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Pump Timing Adjustment Reply with quote

Yep, the scribe line should allow you to play with it and still have a safe return if you don't like the results.

I should clarify that you don't slacken or tighten the pump bolts with the engine running. You just rotate the pump when it's running, and once it's where you like, shut it down and re-tighten the bolts.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Pump Timing Adjustment Reply with quote

and don't get the bottom bolt and cone nut so loose it rattles off... that cone nut falls into a casting web that is a bugger to get out!

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: