Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SO-34 Westfalia Folding Chair Found
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: SO-34 Westfalia Folding Chair Found Reply with quote

It took me only 13 years to finally find this for the Flipseat Westy I bought in 2005. This is a picture of the original owner's wife in their SO-34 back in late `60s. That is the chair I purchased in the picture. They sold the bus but kept the chair, tent and toilet which later was thrown out. Only the chair was saved and used in various other Westfalia campers through the years for camping up until I purchased it yesterday.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Samba Member #95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: SO-34 Westfalia Folding Chair Found Reply with quote

Talk about being patient. Nice score!
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: SO-34 Westfalia Folding Chair Found Reply with quote

Wow...that chair is a survivor. Congrats! How did you find it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: SO-34 Westfalia Folding Chair Found Reply with quote

Z wrote:
How did you find it?
See post #1
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: SO-34 Westfalia Folding Chair Found Reply with quote

That means you need to get it running. Tristan needs something to drive....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: SO-34 Westfalia Folding Chair Found Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
Z wrote:
How did you find it?
See post #1

Yeah, but are they neighbors who had a yard sale, put it on eBay? Not to pry, but HOW obscure items find the people who are looking for them is interesting.

Doh. Now I get it.

Last edited by Z on Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: SO-34 Westfalia Folding Chair Found Reply with quote

Z wrote:
easy e wrote:
Z wrote:
How did you find it?
See post #1

Yeah, but are they neighbors who had a yard sale, put it on eBay? Not to pry, but HOW obscure items find the people who are looking for them is interesting.

One way is to make sure you leave the sellers with all your info and well-demonstrated passion for anything they find in the future. I bought my '66 deluxe 10 years ago- and just two years ago the seller called to say he found a few spares: jail bar parts, manual, other small parts. Still hoping he finds old camping pictures, lit...

With my SO-42 the PO called to say he found the long aluminum tent-mounting strip for the rain gutter. A very cool call back.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Wolfsburg Classics
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: SO-34 Westfalia Folding Chair Found Reply with quote

Nice score Todd,and I guess that very faded upholstery confirms it is an original chair and not a close genaric copy.
Presume you didn't have to step up and pay the inflated price on it either.
Even better is it's going home to where it started,reunited.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: SO-34 Westfalia Folding Chair Found Reply with quote

Yup and if you look closely at the chair pics above, you will see the two faint white stripes of the plaid seat material in exact same place in both the early and current photos. Lots of details identify an original from a fake. There are many generic chairs similar in design out there but nothing matches an original one.

Price paid? Was the cost of a set of new fuel injectors for the Vanagon Westy in the back ground. But I was way overdue for this find.

This chair was heavily used for camping the past 50 years but luckily never damaged or modified in any way. It will be restored to better match it's return home.

Samba Member #95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: SO-34 Westfalia Folding Chair Found Reply with quote

Congrats and beautiful Westy!

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: SO-34 Westfalia Folding Chair Found Reply with quote

bastardbus wrote:
This is a picture of the original owner's wife in their SO-34 back in late `60s. That is the chair I purchased in the picture.

Hope she took off her shoes. Bet she plays Kumbaya. Super score on the Westy accessory. Check out those original steel can Pepsis.
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: SO-34 Westfalia Folding Chair Found Reply with quote

Z here is the story. The chair was found "out in the open" on the net. I was in a VW related forum and the owner of the chair posted a thread and the above picture of his mom in the old westy with the text "this is a picture from the late `60s of my mother in my parents first VW camper, does anyone know what make and model it is ?". No one on that forum had a clue except me. I posted a reply stating it was a SO-34 Westfalia and I had a `62 SO-34 as well, then posted pictures of mine. The fellow said thanks and some light chat in the thread continued about it. The owner stated his father owned several westfalias through the years, this one being his first. He only recalled sleeping in it once on this small child's cot that hung over the front seat. Later his father got rid of that SO-34 and purchased a `71 and so on but always had a VW Westfalia Camper through the years. He then said "interestingly enough I still have that camping chair in the picture!" Apparently his dad always had used it in the various Westfalias he had through the years. Later, when his dad passed away, he cleaned out his home and found what appeared to be the original tent, toilet and the folding chair from the SO-34. The tent was in terrible shape and he threw that and the toilet away in the garbage Shocked but he kept the chair because the always used it when camping. He currently was using it in his Vanagon Westfalia you can see in the background of the one picture.

I told to him these chair are quite hard to find and I had been searching for one for many years. I would love to own it and put it back where it really belongs in a SO-34 Westy. He said he didn't want to sell for sentimental reasons. I said not even for several hundred dollars? Shocked he said..."well I am not THAT sentimental about it !" LOL There being really no record of one of these selling on the open market and no idea of a market price he told me he did need a new set of injectors installed his Vanagon Westy. So I offered to pay for that in exchange for the chair and he agreed. So my westy got a chair it has been missing for decades and his westy got a well needed set of new injectors.

It took me a month or two to pick it up it was a good 14 hour round trip from my home but luckily was in his area last weekend and was able to get it. He wasn't home but he left it sitting outside leaning against his garage door for me.... Shocked I was a nervous wreck until that thing was in my van and on the way back to Ohio.

T
Samba Member #95

Last edited by bastardbus on Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: SO-34 Westfalia Folding Chair Found Reply with quote

Very nice find. Congratulations.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: SO-34 Westfalia Folding Chair Found Reply with quote

It's like you found each other the chair and you.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: SO-34 Westfalia Folding Chair Found Reply with quote

Great story.

Did you tell him how much the toilet was worth? Very Happy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: SO-34 Westfalia Folding Chair Found Reply with quote

Congratulations!!! Awesome score!
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: SO-34 Westfalia Folding Chair Found Reply with quote

Thanks for the story-it’s a good one! Knowing that chair was out in the open while you were on the road must have been nuts.

Congrats again on the great find. Your SO34 is fantastic, a perfect home for that chair. I need to go read your resto thread again.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: SO-34 Westfalia Folding Chair Found Reply with quote

Came across this recently. Thoughts on originality?

Wolfsburg Classics
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: SO-34 Westfalia Folding Chair Found Reply with quote

Definitely original,I have seen others with the same,The Atkinson so34 has one too,seems to be a '61 era thing and the chair is a gold colour just like the early flipseat mechanism.

So yup an early oddity,colour and fabric back.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: SO-34 Westfalia Folding Chair Found Reply with quote

Wolfsburg Classics wrote:
Definitely original,I have seen others with the same,The Atkinson so34 has one too,seems to be a '61 era thing and the chair is a gold colour just like the early flipseat mechanism.

So yup an early oddity,colour and fabric back.

I agree it's a '61 flipseat. It is red on the inside of the door and inside the back of the bus.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: