Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 69
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
El
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: My 69 Reply with quote

Finally figured out how to post pics Idea I bought this a month ago, after a long search for what I thought was a good deal for a vintage bug in reasonable condition. It runs great (fingers crossed) and minimal surface rust under the fenders. I plan on new paint and thats all. It's now a show car but I love it! My question is, did I pay too much.... less than 3,000.00- with unknown miles- odometer was disconnected at some point during a 5 yr nap in a garage, and I have no idea, but it reads at 46,000, and I did have that fixed.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: My 69 Reply with quote

Yes you paid WAY, WAAAYYY too much.
That's a $400 car, but I'll take it off your hands for $500.

Joking aside, to find a bug in New England with very minimal rust, with a nicely running engine, and an interior in that condition, you got a steal. Loks like it was very well cared for. Looks like a miminal bit of work left to do to finish it off in the engine bay and up front in the trunk, but very nice as is.
Mine is a Royal red 1969 as well, and it has received lots of compliments.

Is it a matching engine #?

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
flat4olsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: My 69 Reply with quote

Nice bug! I have a -68 and I love it.
But please consider removing that fuel filter out of the engine compartment. A fuel filter on the pressure side of the pump and just above the distributor is like asking for a engine fire.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: My 69 Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Joking aside, to find a bug in New England with very minimal rust, with a nicely running engine, and an interior in that condition, you got a steal. Looks like it was very well cared for. Looks like a mininal bit of work left to do to finish it off

Agree.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
El
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 Reply with quote

That makes me feel better! Thank you!
I do not know really where to find the engine number, but I will look around if you point me in the right direction? Very Happy and where would the fuel filter be relocated to ?
El
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Yes you paid WAY, WAAAYYY too much.
That's a $400 car, but I'll take it off your hands for $500.

Joking aside, to find a bug in New England with very minimal rust, with a nicely running engine, and an interior in that condition, you got a steal. Loks like it was very well cared for. Looks like a miminal bit of work left to do to finish it off in the engine bay and up front in the trunk, but very nice as is.
Mine is a Royal red 1969 as well, and it has received lots of compliments.

Is it a matching engine #?

I'm going for the royal red as well! There is some yellow paint on parts of this bug, but I have no idea what was done to it previously.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 Reply with quote

El wrote:
That makes me feel better! Thank you!
I do not know really where to find the engine number, but I will look around if you point me in the right direction?

Engine number is stamped just below the generator stand. For a 1969 VW originally began with letter "H".

Zundfolge 1-4-3-2 is the firing order.

A fuel filter unsupported like yours can pull brass outlet tubes from the carb or fuel pump, or can break or leak, fire danger.

The outlet tube near the oil fill cap should connect to the air filter.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
El
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 Reply with quote

Zundfolge 1-4-3-2 is the firing order.

A fuel filter unsupported like yours can pull brass outlet tubes from the carb or fuel pump, or can break or leak, fire danger.

The outlet tube near the oil fill cap should connect to the air filter.[/quote]

Ut oh.. so my number is AE which if I read on JBugs right, is a 71? Is this a bad thing?
Thank you for the info on the fuel filter. I will get it to a mechanic next week. Its hot enough around here without having a bug fire!
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 Reply with quote

El wrote:
Ut oh.. so my number is AE which if I read on JBugs right, is a 71? Is this a bad thing?

No not a bad thing at all. It just means someone switched out the original 1500cc for a 1600cc. (Still single port though, very similar to what originally came on the car.)

What are the rest of the numbers on the block?

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
El
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 Reply with quote

What are the rest of the numbers on the block?[/quote]

AE 475958
next to that there is a black metal piece that has
vw 113.129.70---cant see the rest.
And one part says made in brazil.
El
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 Reply with quote

El wrote:
What are the rest of the numbers on the block?

AE 475958
next to that there is a black metal piece that has
vw 113.129.70---cant see the rest.
And one part says made in brazil.[/quote]

Dubious heritage! Very Happy
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 Reply with quote

El wrote:

Unless you're doing a 100% restoration, I think an AE 1971 engine is a GOOD thing, especially if it has the 1971 doghouse oil cooler/fan shroud. The engine pictured has single port heads, likely a 1600cc single port now, that's fine.

An AE engine is better metal alloy than the 1967-1969 "H" engines, and the AE engine is dual relief pistons where the "H" was single relief.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 Reply with quote

El wrote:
I plan on new paint and thats all.

What a nice find. Good solid bug. Yeah, be glad it's the 71 engine case it's pretty good somewhat better than the 68's mechanically speaking. An AE or later case would be best. You can always find a case for a 68 if you want it original. Looks like it's got the 68 engine tin etc on it.

Yeah, give your engine some attention. Get the Heater hoses hooked up as they move a lot of heat away from under the engine for you. Check your actual oil temperature, Hot and see how hot it is running. That 71 engine case was designed for a better cooling fan shroud etc.. The one called the Dog House. But since the car has single port heads it probably will do ok with the 68 non-dog-house fan shroud. The only weakness in the AE engines was the pulled cylinder head studs. Yours is probably inserted. You can look under the engine, may have to remove some engine tin to see though if it has the case inserts. You're looking to see where the cylinder head studs go into the case if it has inserts:

Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 Reply with quote

I think you got a good deal.

But as others have noted, hook up all the air hoses, and the breather hose on the engine.

One thing I see, and I'm curious about is in the pic of the back side of the dash. Right in the very middle of the pic, there's a hose coming out of the bottom of the fresh air intake - but it's routed to the side rather than to the drain in the center of the trunk. Find out where that hose goes - you do not want it dumping water into some part of the car where it can't drain away!

edit: did a quick google search to find a pic

That hose from the bottom center of the fresh air intake is supposed to go right down the middle of the trunk and to a drain hole, as seen in this photo. It lets water drain out of the ventilation system when it rains. Who knows where it's dumping water on your car the way it is currently set up.
El
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 Reply with quote

Amazing information! I was told the hoses in the engine were not needed since it won't be driven in the winter. That didn't make sense to me, because of the points you all made. I am ready to get all of this on a list for the mechanic to fix. The front compartment hose in the middle mentioned, the part stuck into the air vent, I will see where it leads to. Thanks for so much info! I will try to educate myself a little more before I ask too many annoying questions Very Happy
El
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 Reply with quote

edit: did a quick google search to find a pic

That hose from the bottom center of the fresh air intake is supposed to go right down the middle of the trunk and to a drain hole, as seen in this photo. It lets water drain out of the ventilation system when it rains. Who knows where it's dumping water on your car the way it is currently set up.[/quote]

OHHH ok! I found that plastic L shaped part in the glove box and didn't know what it was for. I stuck that hose in the air vent cuz it fit.. Thanks you!!!!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=211521&highlight=heater+vent

and

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=434051&highlight=heater+tutorial
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 Reply with quote

Get the fresh-air hoses from the engine fan to the two two-inch pipes sticking up out of the rear breast plate. There are also rubber gaskets that attach on those lower pipes.

The engine fan’s air is supposed to blow down those pipes to, not only supply heat in winter, but also to help cool parts of the engine—heat exchangers to heads.

Also, get a stock air filter. The small empty pipe that sticks up from your oil filler is a blow-by pipe. Oil and blow-by comes out of there. A rubber hose connects at the oil filler and is run to another small pipe to the air cleaner.

I think you got a great deal. Look below at my engine to see where the various hoses mentioned above are located.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
docdanracy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 Reply with quote

1970 engine compartment should look pretty similar to yours.

https://youtu.be/KoEY8K26KAM
Empi shifter, full compliment of gauges, 1679 with mild cam, stock induction

SOLD: 1974 Marina Blue Standard Beetle undergoing restoration/preservation
1679 with Kadrons and header/QP
914 sport wheels 5.5" ET40 wrapped in 195x65x15 Kumhos
El
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the advise, and pictures of what the engine should look like! I have some parts to order, and hoping I can install some of them myself.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: