Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lifted Spindles or adjustable beam
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Lifted Spindles or adjustable beam Reply with quote

I went with raised spindles to keep the suspension geometry the same, the steering was heavy.
I believe that an adjustable beam to raise it keeps better stering geometry but worse suspension.

Which is better.??

i HAVE 205X15 TYRES SO HAVE REASOBABLE GROUND CLEARANCE.

SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS LOCK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted SPiddles or adjustable beam Reply with quote

Lift spindles are the better way to go, in my opinion. Heavy steering could be from the larger tires and changing the offset of center line from the wheels.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikething
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted SPiddles or adjustable beam Reply with quote

where do you buy lift spindles?
Hyatt181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Spindles or adjustable beam Reply with quote

I was just comptenplating this subject.

I have a beam with adjusters in it.

But I have a better condition beam in my basement.

I also have a set of 2 1/2” higher spindles in my basement.

Was trying to decide if I add adjusters and use a stock spindle or skip the adjusters and use the raised spindles.
66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Spindles or adjustable beam Reply with quote

Raised spindles for a thing or raised spindles for a bug? They're different, but, I'm sure you already know that...

If you use 2.5 raised bug spindles you'll be at stock thing height... and they won't just bolt up to the thing arms...

I just added adjusters to my thing beam. I'm contemplating on how I'm going to do bump stops and limit straps... I don't like the hook and rod cuz of all the clanking of metal on metal... anyone ever do it without hook and rod? I'd like to see some examples.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Spindles or adjustable beam Reply with quote

Ummm, you dug up a pretty old thread to respond to.

Have you ever used hook & rod limiters? I’ve pounded the shit out of mine & never heard them “clank”.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: