Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 transporter, possible overheating, could use some advice...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 transporter, possible overheating, could use some advice... Reply with quote

have you put a real mechanical gauge on this?

those VDO gauges suck ass, and the dual pole senders trigger the light at a higher pressure ( I think stock vw is 4-5 psi, the VDO is closer to 8-10 PSI)

I don't think I would string the builder by the balls....

how does the pump fit? if it is NOT tight, you WILL have problems. I have had to have pumps o-ringed to fit snug in the case. if you were able to simply shimmy that pump out, it's too small for the bore. a proper pump fit WILL require the puller, and possibly taking some torque off of the case nuts to remove it

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 transporter, possible overheating, could use some advice... Reply with quote

@skills, I haven't received the new pump yet. I get it on tuesday. I paid for 3-day shipping but didn't see the info about how long it takes to get the item out of the door. I had planned on doing the work this Friday or Saturday but oh well. Instead, I'll weld in my new, center heating pipe Smile

Also, I've only put a hand-held mechanical oil pressure guage on it but I didn't test long enough to reach these points of heat and low pressure. I'll need to redo that test and give it more than 10 mins.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 transporter, possible overheating, could use some advice... Reply with quote

I was asking about the pump fitment of your current pump...if it was loose, chances are the new one will be as well

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 transporter, possible overheating, could use some advice... Reply with quote

hylomatt wrote:
@asiab3 yeah I've read quite a bit about how that kit isn't what most people think it's for, along with the adjustable relief plugs and a few more gizmos. I'll check out that link. And I'm glad they tend to line up well. I'll double-check things though, just to be safe and sure.

What I'm worried about is how much damage (if any) has been done to this brand new case, the bearings, etc.

Would anyone care to offer an opinion about the pump size choice by the builder? Is this a huge oversight or not so much? Do you think it's his responsibility to look at the engine or should I just roll along and move on with this? An opinion is all I'm looking for here, just to temper my own.

if you haven't had debris in the oil, I would wait to see what kind of pressure it build with the new pump. That should answer many of your questions.
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 transporter, possible overheating, could use some advice... Reply with quote

I spoke with my engine builder today and he said that a 26 mm pump was never stock and that a 21 mm pump was the correct one to be using. And then, of course, I've heard and read conflicting information here.

Found this in another thread:
21mm for 1500 single relief
26mm for 1600 dual relief

I know we've already gone over this but with the builder emphatically stating that 26 mm is a heavy-duty pump and not the stock size I wanted to ask again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 transporter, possible overheating, could use some advice... Reply with quote

hylomatt wrote:
I spoke with my engine builder today and he said that a 26 mm pump was never stock and that a 21 mm pump was the correct one to be using. And then, of course, I've heard and read conflicting information here.

Found this in another thread:
21mm for 1500 single relief
26mm for 1600 dual relief

I know we've already gone over this but with the builder emphatically stating that 26 mm is a heavy-duty pump and not the stock size I wanted to ask again.

Have your builder call me, I'd love an opportunity to educate him as to the exact reason that Volkswagen indeed did install a 26mm pump in the dual relief engines, starting in 1970.
Colin
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 transporter, possible overheating, could use some advice... Reply with quote

Okay I'll have some feedback for you soon. I just got the pump in last night and reassembled this morning but I had to break for work. I have been doing a little driving with the adjusted Springs and the 20 50 weight oil and the pressure while driving is correct now so the spring adjustments and the thicker oil to combat the smaller oil pump have been a good patch for any time but idle.
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 transporter, possible overheating, could use some advice... Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

The new VW cases and new Shadek pumps line up fine.

My 'new' (circa 2003) Brazilian AS41 case requires porting on one hole with a new Schadek pump. Colin saw it too.
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 transporter, possible overheating, could use some advice... Reply with quote

I'm getting really good at disassembling this much of the engine! And of course I didn't look for problems as closely as I could have. Damn. Ok, I guess it's coming apart again.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 transporter, possible overheating, could use some advice... Reply with quote

blue72beetle wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

The new VW cases and new Shadek pumps line up fine.

My 'new' (circa 2003) Brazilian AS41 case requires porting on one hole with a new Schadek pump. Colin saw it too.

Iiiiiinteresting. Do you consider your 2003 case to be “new?” Razz
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 transporter, possible overheating, could use some advice... Reply with quote

Where do new cases come from now?
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 transporter, possible overheating, could use some advice... Reply with quote

Mine says Brazil on the side of it
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 transporter, possible overheating, could use some advice... Reply with quote

you never did answer my question, and if you did, I missed it.

how tight is the pump in the bore? it should be a mofo to remove and need a rubber mallet to get back in there.

if it slid right it, it's wrong

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 transporter, possible overheating, could use some advice... Reply with quote

@skills, sorry about that, I never did answer your question but I only just removed it this weekend so I had forgotten you asked. The pump that I removed was wedged in well enough to begin bending my puller until I loosened the case nuts above and below the pump. Once the case nuts were loosened, the puller was able to do its job.

Same thing for the new one as well. It's quite snug unless I loosen the case nuts.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 transporter, possible overheating, could use some advice... Reply with quote

Are T4 oil pumps just as tight? My experience is no
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 transporter, possible overheating, could use some advice... Reply with quote

Well I'm going to take it apart again just to check all the stuffs. Tang engagement is at its minimum so I'll adjust that. And endplay is .006 maybe .007 which is good and within spec. I'll check the oil gallies as well for line up with the new pump.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 transporter, possible overheating, could use some advice... Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:

you mean T1? yes, it should be pretty hard to install. when I built my 1904 I had 4 shitty shadeck pumps sent to me that would fall into the bore. it was so bad, I had to get an o-ringed pump

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 transporter, possible overheating, could use some advice... Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
aeromech wrote:

you mean T1? yes, it should be pretty hard to install. when I built my 1904 I had 4 shitty shadeck pumps sent to me that would fall into the bore. it was so bad, I had to get an o-ringed pump

Nope I'm talking T4. Are they supposed to be just as tight a fit as a T1?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 transporter, possible overheating, could use some advice... Reply with quote

re T4 pumps - the NOS one in my case was loose by .0005" or so. All the 10 to 15 pumps I had were the same to the 4th digit and both cases I measured were the same to 4th digit. All the specs were within the published Bentley. There is some overlap in Bentley meaning a case can be perfect in size, and the pump be perfect in size, and the two be slightly loose by .0005" to .001"or so. Funny thing is that over time varnish etc build up and the clearance goes away. Some folks break the ears off trying to get them out.

Bore for the oil pump housing is .03 mm (.00118") variance (2.7559" to 2.7570".
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 transporter, possible overheating, could use some advice... Reply with quote

Okay so it's update time. This weekend I pulled the engine out and did some checking, etc.. I retorqued the case and the heads. The case had a few loose nuts and the heads definitely needed retorquing. I checked the oil pump for how well it matches the case oil galleys. It's not perfect but it was really close. I made an adjustment on the drive gear to ensure the tooth was fitted into the camshaft slot properly. Then I measured the end play on the pump which is now .06mm.

I also used a good Permatex product to fill all unnecessary holes in the fan shroud and air gaps around the driver side elbow which had been reoriented for air conditioning way back when. In the process, I found what I believed to be a leaking oil cooler with no foam around it. So I purchased a new oil cooler and added an additional strip of expanding foam. I also found a broken Hoover bit when I pulled the engine so a lot of those things weren't helping me maintain temperature. So a new oil cooler, a Hoover bit and a new seal kit for any seals that I had to break while I was doing all this work.

After disabling the coil to distributor connection and priming the oil ways I then let the vehicle warm up for a little bit and took a short 20-30 minute test drive. The temperature was looking pretty good and the pressure was a little lower than what I expected around the end of the test drive. At ~3,100 RPM I had ~25 psi oil pressure at just a hair under 200 F. I had also switched back to 10w30 oil.

So, I'm going to try straight 30 weight oil. I heard a little bit of clicking in the passenger side valve cover so I probably misadjusted one of the valves and I need to reset the accelerator cable tension because I set it a little tight. I'll go ahead and dump the oil and go around and do another tune-up probably tomorrow night.

I'm not certain if I should fight for that extra 5 to 6 PSI. I need to give it a good highway test and see if that oil light ever flickers. I have currently gone back to using a T-fitting with the original pressure sensor and the vdo sender.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: