Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Squish and rpm
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

The Squish Effect ,squeezes the air/fuel mixture at TDC and pushes it out to the center of the cylinder. This mixes the air with the fuel. Race cars don't need this because at high RPMs the air/fuel is mixed good enough from the velocity of the air/fuel.
volksnhousin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

My thoughts: If you are ok with how it is currently, don't change a thing. If you want a change, use the smaller deck and a mild performance cam.

As mentioned, doing the performance cam and smaller deck together probably is the way to go. Just doing one thing or the other will make it not as good.

Search “dynamic compression” on the internet. A bigger cam “bleeds” off compression pressure. You can adjust the compression you run at with a cam... You won't need to carve up your chambers and pistons as much if you use the right performance cam with your smaller deck.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dawie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

Also keep in mind that, being in the UK, octane rating of fuel is much higher.
Lowest octane standard fuel 95ron- (91 US?), and super around 98ron. So compression ratio can be higher.

Knock sensitivity depends on chamber efficiency/squish as well. Tight squish can be critical, especially with that large bore.

Web 73 will tolerate higher compression.

Ideally, twin plugs should allow another point of compression, be more fuel efficient, and run cooler.
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

sled wrote:
apparently no one who has chimed in as of yet on the benefits of a tight deck is to be believed understood?

Fixed that for ya. Smile

Apologies if I seemed not to believe but it was understanding I was seeking. Never been good at blindly following instructions. I wouldn't have lasted a minute in the army.

Often in life when someone answers the question "why?" with "just do as I say, I've done xxx more times than you've had hot dinners" the reason is that though they know it's the right thing to do, they don't really understand "why" any more than I do.

By following expert advice on engine building the only non-standard engine I've built previously was fantastic - for a lightweight car. In a bus it was only good for going through the gears between 3,500 and 6,000+rpm and wouldn't cruise over 55mph without the oil temp continually rising. I sold it at cost to a beetle owner who was obviously delighted, abandoned plans for an ever bigger type-1 based engine and built this big lazy type-4. No regrets, even in it's present form it knocks the spots of the type-1 - as a bus engine.

I think I'm getting it thanks to everyone here's patience and good will. I wish I'd discovered the Samba a few years ago, you guys rock!

So thank you again. Smile
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

Zed,
You mentioned you wish you found this NG sooner. Recently I have been getting more inquires from Denmark, Germany, Israel, Sardinia, UK and Malta - - not only for Upright conversion but just T-4 questions in general. Was there any Magazine articles. Or are the prices of buses skyrocketing over there, like here in the U.S. and maybe guys are thinking fixing one up is money in the bank ???
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
The Squish Effect ,squeezes the air/fuel mixture at TDC and pushes it out to the center of the cylinder. This mixes the air with the fuel. Race cars don't need this because at high RPMs the air/fuel is mixed good enough from the velocity of the air/fuel.
not true. race cars need it too. tight squish make a happyer, eazey tuning,cleaner chambers better mpg engine. but any bodu can still screw up the tune if they havent clue then blame it on the tight squish, kinda like blaming the dead rod bearings on tight squish. " the piston hit the head it had to of been the deck was too high" nomater what you can not fix stupid. dead/spun rod bearing = piston hitting head.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

I thought that all of the open chamber/hemi designs took the squish area out in favor of high RPM flow.

For a second,marc , I almost used my spell checker. Laughing
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:
Zed,
You mentioned you wish you found this NG sooner. Recently I have been getting more inquires from Denmark, Germany, Israel, Sardinia, UK and Malta - - not only for Upright conversion but just T-4 questions in general. Was there any Magazine articles. Or are the prices of buses skyrocketing over there, like here in the U.S. and maybe guys are thinking fixing one up is money in the bank ???
I wouldn't know, I don't buy magazines or go to shows etc. I could hazzard a few guesses though.
People with buses here generally just go camping. Until recently bus owners here tended to be poor. We run a free tech weekend camp twice a year. It was aimed at new owners who had an interest in maintaining themselves because they were poor. There would be 30-40 crappy old rust buckets and we'd all oo and ah over the one shiney one. Roll on 10 years, £1,000 buses are now £15,000 and the ownership profile has completely changed. Now there are 40 shiney buses and one heap.
So what do these new owners want? They are generally busy professionals buying into an imaginary dream of freedom and their 1600's don't get them to their freedom fast or reliably enough. So after they load up for the first time and head for the surf then knock out the big ends on the way and ruin there holidays they want bigger stronger engines to replace them and 6 rib boxes. Actually these are now getting rarer here, it was kind of a phase. The fashion is now subaru engine and box for reliability. Even that's changing though, a few years ago it was na 2l, now 2.5l is becoming the transplant of choice. New owners like the quaint looks, as they like old houses, but want a fast reliable engine and a solid oak interior.

A type-1 simply won't do 70mph all day, loaded up for camping. A type-4 kind of nearly does so if you want to stay air cooled it's the way to go. We don't have wild open spaces for leisurely bumbling along here, the whole place is crammed with frustrated drivers and if you need to be fairly bloody minded not to feel the pressure.

You can of course make a big type-1, but lets face it, they aren't so strong and you're pushing the limits.

99% of the interest in non-stock engines here seems to be aimed at drag racing beetles, it's really quite difficult to find a builder to make you any engine that leaves a bit on the table and is designed for torque. I can almost guarantee that no builder here (ok there may be a few) even knows what torque their engines produce because their customers only understand HP.

My engine is typical in that it just wouldn't be built here, I had to fight for it! If you went to two builders asking for say a 2l spruced up engine, the one offering the most peak hp gets the job, so that's their focus. Who would choose a 100hp 2.4l engine when the competition was offering 160hp apart from me. Not many. The problem may be that torque is not undersood and not used for comparrison here.

Got side tracked there a little. If you want to stay stock a Type-4 is the obvious choice here, it's simply the most practical air cooled bus engine to have for todays traffic and the new owners have the money. I have no idea about the rest of Europe but I guess it's the same. I think the germans have always appreciated this, they have had fast multi-lane roads for decades longer than the rest of us.

You can't buy a cheap bus here, there are no barn finds. But over the past 2-4 years prices have actually plumetted and what was £15-20,000 is now £10-15,000. It's not posdible to sort out an old one and profit, firstly they all been restored and if not there's literally nothing left of them. On bus prices the UK leads the US I think. 10 years ago you could import an original beauty from the states all in for half the price of a restored one here. There are a LOT of US buses here now, thousands and thousands despite the steering wheel being on the wrong side. Maybe that's part of it too - US buses tend to have type-4 engines, UK ones, right to the end tended to start as 1600 panel vans with cardboard interiors converted by a man with a hammer and chisel. Westies here are on the rarer side because we couldn't afford them.
I bet the rest of Europe have also been busily importing bays too because you guys didn't value them until recently. Why would you when you're stuffed with splitties?

On that subject, 15 years ago, ANY split in ANY condition with a plate and chassis number EVEN if that was realy all that was left was £3500 minimum here. Madness, but that's why we got into bays before you guys. The UK climate and salted roads destroy all vehicles here in quick time. Smile
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

The reason that "I" would never build a big bore bus engine is that it - is - a recipe for disaster in the long run. Big bore cylinders just cannot keep sealed against the heads over time. Super low CR do help and choking the engine so that it can´t make more than X power helps too.
"our" 2165 bus engine pulls better torque and better hp than that 2,4, and will last about 100.000 km. before it needs any significant service. It is also somewhat more expensive to build.

With squish.
- In your case I suspect that you have a serius amount of deck height to keep the static compression down. My quess is around 3,5 to 4 mm. If I´m right I´d say when you have the engine you have, keep the deck there. Reason is, with that much deck height the chamber in total reacts more like a hemi head than a conventional squish type head. This means that the engine most likely wants something like 35-36 degrees BTDC to pull good and make - reasonably - decent numbers out of the exhaust.
Again, if I´m right then what you want is a very good and fat spark so that you can get the burn started and get the flame propagandation accellerated as fast as possible to get a complet burn soon enough to exploit it before the piston is too far down the powerstroke.
apart from upgrtading the ignition there is one thing I would definitely do too, and that was to replace thstock muffler with a freer flowing unit. VS has some nice ones for the type 2/4 bus. Turbo Thomas has too I think. By doing that you take some heat out of the cylinderheads when the engine is working hard and you release a few ponies too in terms of less restriction in the muffler.

If you decide to do this be aware that you need to rejet as this will make some change in the burn and breathing capacity.

WRT your comment on type one´s not capable of doing 70 mph all day in a loaded bus. - Well, sounds like you need to do a reality check. Even our 100 hp 1835 thickwall Kadron carbed engine or the 100 hp 1955 cc. std plus engine will do that with ease, and they will most likely still outlast a big bore type 4
Wrt longlivety. A 120ish hp 2110 or 2165 type 4 powerstroke bus engine is about the best you can build if you want some good power and want a lot of trouble free miles. These engines do pretty good with fuel efficiency too. About 25 - 26 mpg (US) on 65 mph cruise is quite common in Westfalia Bay window busses Wink

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

Thanks Alstrup.
Well yes, it might need rebuilding but rebuilding doesn't phase me too much, I'm looking at doing so after 12,000 miles just for the fun of changing it a bit after all.

But those pistons and cylinders are large and I take your point about sealing. It does occur to me that most people with these kind od CC's are most likely to be in persuit of lots of power so maybe yes there are big problems for them that my mild-for-it's-size engine would have more chance of escaping? I don't have a problem so far is all I can say. Maybe the wise thing to do to it would be nothing at all.

Thanks for the large deck/hemi analogy, that's very interesting. If I give it more than 29degs it pinks under severe load, by which I mean a hill it will barely accelerate up, hard to find but there's one I use 10 miles away for testing. It's steep! Someone random came up to me in a car park earlier in the year and said "I followed you up Parbold hill a few weeks ago in my car. I couldn't keep up. That must be some engine in their, well done!". Very British. Lol

Hmm. Maybe I really should just leave it, it does what I want really, maybe I'm just itching to do something "engine". It's been a few years and it's an enjoyable hobby. Smile
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

no they didnt mr plier, many/most hemis do have squish areas.and many have pistons that acheve this. squish does not have to be in a flat serface of the chamber like on vw's.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

I got it! Wink
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

Already mentioned this. Squish the damn thing, and stop asking over and over again. Are you just looking for the answer you want to hear?
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

Forgive my ignorance but, what in the world is squish?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

Power falls off after 4K rpm? what is that a diesel? Very Happy

That is one lazy motor if it is gas. Depends what octane fuels available you can put in the tank to decide how much compression you can run. If all you got is 87 octane available, raising the CR is not the way to go.

Here in the USA 91 octane is about the highest in some states. 93 octane in my area but go out of the way some and it is 91 oct...that can tolerate close to 9 to 1 but no more.

For a heavy bus, that can be tricky. I like stock bores 94mm max on busses. Increase stroke here and there but I like Mahle 94s. Anything bigger and it will be some kind of buggy.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

"Jeffrey 8164" Somebody, I think it was one of these guys explained that to me once, It's kind of like what it sounds like. It's about that flat area outside the combustion chamber between the head and the piston at TDC. It needs to be so so not more. What 35 thousandths.

But all this aside, I remember reading an article about type 4 engines back 20 some years ago in one of the VW magazines. It talks about how they could not get the engines to rev above 4000 like the 914 Porsche engine could. Turns out they realized the Porsche combustion chamber was different and the spark plug location was different in the Porsche's head. So they relocated the VW plug and Walla it would rev...
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
Forgive my ignorance but, what in the world is squish?

"Quench", or "squish" is what happens when the air is squeezed inward toward the combusion chamber. This happens because the flat surfaces of the head and piston crown come into close proximity of each other. The closer the proximity, the better the mixture homogeneity.

Read that long copy/paste from the previous page.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

it also helps cool the head&piston better as well as more compleate cleaner burn and a lot less unburnt residue in the chamber/on piston top , as well as reducing the chance of detonation/pree ignition.
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

If your going to re-use your cylinders... Remove barrel spacers or have them machined.

Be aware that the top ring may have started establishing a step (ridge).

That will have to be carefully inspected and possibly honed out. Either that or replace the cylinders if its excessive.

The compression ring seal is most important at this location. Not where you want to have an inconsistent surface / finish.

I don't use the P.M. service on here.
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
Already mentioned this. Squish the damn thing, and stop asking over and over again. Are you just looking for the answer you want to hear?

To be fair, I was trying to educate myself about squish/rpm because I'm getting conflicting info from sources I respect. Initially of course I was interested because of my own engine but I started a new thread specifically about benefits of squish in relation to rpm because I thought it a genuinely interesting topic.

Squish the damn thing and stop trying to understand isn't terribly enlightening. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: