Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Squish and rpm
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

I think the 1.7 heads have about 60-65ccs. I have some in the garage that I could use to verify.

I would advise against decking the case so much. Turn the cylinders and mill out domes in your pistons.

No one has touched on how a tighter deck will actually perform in your engine because they're all different.

But you say your engine runs fine, cool, makes good power, so what's the reason for wanting yo teae down?
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
I think the 1.7 heads have about 60-65ccs. I have some in the garage that I could use to verify.

I would advise against decking the case so much. Turn the cylinders and mill out domes in your pistons.

No one has touched on how a tighter deck will actually perform in your engine because they're all different.

But you say your engine runs fine, cool, makes good power, so what's the reason for wanting yo teae down?
I've got an itch. Plus after tuning with afr it ended up weird. Plus that torque curve is silly. It niggles that it was built funny.

Engine calculator says 1.5 deck, which is as tight as I feel comfortable with with 104 pistons and 70cc chambers = 8:3

I thought original chambers approx 55-60cc, I'd be interested in what they actually are.because mine are already quite a bit bigger. Maybe already big enough? If they were already 70cc that makes my existing cr lower again at 7:1 - even more reason to make some changes. Smile
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

Your powerband is short because your heads don't flow nearly enough for such a large engine. I think using a set of higher-flowing valves and int/ex/chamber porting will go a long way.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

Why not go half way? Reduce the deck height part way , the deck height could be halved without upping the CR too much.

I still remember when I rebuilt the previous engine into an untouched AS21 case, I left in a 1mm under cylinder spacer that was because the previous case had been decked to make it flat as it was a Vege hack. I took that up my tuning hill and was disappointed I had to change down into third. Took out the spacer and reduced deck height to 1.5mm from 2.5mm and I could again go up the hill and make it to the top in fourth again.
No other changes. Thats the engine that lasted 30k miles probably because I recycled the heads and valves and one stainless valve had enough one day after 60 k miles.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
Your powerband is short because your heads don't flow nearly enough for such a large engine. I think using a set of higher-flowing valves and int/ex/chamber porting will go a long way.
The heads are ported, seats heavily worked and larger valves fitted. My 2l T1 had no problem revving off the scale with similar valve sizes and though this is bigger, my target rev range is far lower, almost half. I realise that's not a very technical comparison!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anyway, I'm stuck with these heads -;much as I'd like a pair of 42/36 412 heads the price is out of my range.
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

mikedjames wrote:
Why not go half way? Reduce the deck height part way , the deck height could be halved without upping the CR too much.

I still remember when I rebuilt the previous engine into an untouched AS21 case, I left in a 1mm under cylinder spacer that was because the previous case had been decked to make it flat as it was a Vege hack. I took that up my tuning hill and was disappointed I had to change down into third. Took out the spacer and reduced deck height to 1.5mm from 2.5mm and I could again go up the hill and make it to the top in fourth again.
No other changes. Thats the engine that lasted 30k miles probably because I recycled the heads and valves and one stainless valve had enough one day after 60 k miles.

I also "perked up" a 1600 in the same way. Many 1600's seem to be built with very low compression to get them through the warrenty period.
My builder, and I've read the same elsewhere, says there is "death zone" for deck height such that if 1.5mm or less is not achieveable it's better to jump to a big deck and give the fuel a chance of burning than be anywhere between 1.5 and 3-3.5mm where there is more risk of detonating unburned fuel at the piston perimeter. Who knows?
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

Where's Alstrup?
Have we gotta sacrifice someone to summon him? 5lug maybe Very Happy

Awesome discussion OP.
I have never heard of a 'death zone'.
Also I have never heard of a best CR for our engine... Some odd sounding info in this thread... I have my own opinions but they aren't as credible as some. (Tabari, Sled et al...)
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
Where's Alstrup?
Have we gotta sacrifice someone to summon him? 5lug maybe Very Happy

Awesome discussion OP.
I have never heard of a 'death zone'.
Also I have never heard of a best CR for our engine... Some odd sounding info in this thread... I have my own opinions but they aren't as credible as some. (Tabari, Sled et al...)
Well I attached "death zone" to this apparent phenomenon myself but it seemed appropriate and maybe there's some truth in it as 12,000 miles on I have great compression and no apparent case breathing so I assume the bores haven't been washed with unburnt fuel or the crowns burnt away?
It is a bit of a dog though all things considered. I'm pretty irked that the builder can't tell me the deck or combustion cc, maybe he's keeping stum so I don't find it has 6.8:1 CR ...or something. I missed my chance to look when I swapped gearboxes recently, there just aren't enough hours in one day so I'm back to guesstimating what I have.
I'd love some educated guesses on how many ccs my chambers may be, based on the photo above. Smile

CR for a bus. I read a lot. There seems a consensus that 8.3:1 is the upper limit for cool running. My own experience is very limited but the one performance engine I built myself, 2020 type-1 with a wasser crank, 40x35, C35 and....I wasn't paying attention (to the right advice)and built it with 9:1 compression. It certainly went very well but couldn't sustain any speed much above 50-55mph without the oil temps rising dangerously. So my upper target is 8.3 and a mild cam. I'd prefer to keep it just under 8.

Any views on decking the case 2mm? I'd prefer this to shortening the barrels so I can swap them every 10,000 miles when they distort. Very Happy
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

Oil temps aren't necessarily a reflection of head temps, where you would be seeing elevated temps if cr was set too high. 9.0:1 is fine for a C35. Your high oil temps may have been from the oil used, springs, or overly-large pump you used. Just speculation though. Idk what parts you used.

What valve sizes do you have? If you still have somewhere around 39x33, your heads are too small, unless they were sent to a really good head guy.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

Alstrup told me he'd rather run 9:1 with a tight deck than 8.6:1 and a 1.47mm deck.
That's a 69x92 type one in a bus.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
Alstrup told me he'd rather run 9:1 with a tight deck than 8.6:1 and a 1.47mm deck.
That's a 69x92 type one in a bus.

I agree with this 100%. I just finished the cam break-in on a 1835cc for my own baywindow. It is 9.0, with a .038" deck and a CB2232 cam.

Your elevation should also play a large part in your compression decision.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

Hi guys. Whatīs up Very Happy
Havent read the entire thread, but commenting on Zedīs assumption that his CR was too high for the C35 cam.
As Bugguy is onto, it is not the static CR that is the problem. It is just about everything else. As you have already been discussing, deck height, chamber efficiency, port efficiency (a poor mix creates much higher cylinder head temps than a good mix) exhaust size, scavenging effect/efficiency, Cooling capacity/quality, ignition, is the timing precise or is it flickering 4-5 degrees from 3000& up. Proper spark? And of course improper tune, oil cooling, oil pressure control, you name it.

The death zone wrt deck height is from approx 1,55 to 2,8 mm. The area from "perfect" around 0,95 to 1,2 mm dependant on engine, up to about 1,55 reduces perfect squish which results in the need of more timing to get the burn to evolve enough and properly. HP wise there is not that much of a difference, but torque is measurable reduced and cylinderhead temps rise especially under load. The death zone is where the squish is not efficient at all which results in too much mix in the outer part of the cylinder not getting burned or getting burned so late in the powerstroke that it almost only creates heat in the cylinder and exhaust port. Above approx 2,8 mm. the squish is not evident and the burn begins to react somewhat like a hemi head, because now there is so much room between the piston and the flat areas in the head that the burn can evolve out of the chamber during the powerstroke. If such a situation occurs (maby turbo engines run like this) you need a somewhat advanced ignition timing, but then you can make fairly decent power, and the cylinderhead temps are LESS than if you were in the death zone.

Wrt static compression. In general my opinion is that this part of the automotive world sets the static compression too low and have too much deck. By spending the time (and maybe a little money) to optimize these two things you will already notice a significantly better and cooler running engine. That alone does not do it, but it is definitely a step in the right direction.
Of course it is cam/Bmep dependant, but Luke is correct with what he wrote about deck versus CR. The more efficient you can make the burn so it is almost all over BEFORE you open the exhaust valve the cooler the heads will be and the more static compression the engine can handle, meaning more hp, better torque and a cooler running engine.

Hope this helps.

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

Zed999 wrote:

What happened to the bottom seat cut here?? Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

Zed999 wrote:
bugguy1967 wrote:
The heads are ported, seats heavily worked and larger valves fitted. My 2l T1 had no problem revving off the scale with similar valve sizes and though this is bigger, my target rev range is far lower, almost half. I realise that's not a very technical comparison!

Anyway, I'm stuck with these heads -;much as I'd like a pair of 42/36 412 heads the price is out of my range.
, ..thats ported?? big valves? wow that should be good for atleast 53 hp.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

I didn't notice where you mentioned larger valves. What valve sizes are you running?
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Hi guys. Whatīs up Very Happy
Havent read the entire thread, but commenting on Zedīs assumption that his CR was too high for the C35 cam.
As Bugguy is onto, it is not the static CR that is the problem. It is just about everything else. As you have already been discussing, deck height, chamber efficiency, port efficiency (a poor mix creates much higher cylinder head temps than a good mix) exhaust size, scavenging effect/efficiency, Cooling capacity/quality, ignition, is the timing precise or is it flickering 4-5 degrees from 3000& up. Proper spark? And of course improper tune, oil cooling, oil pressure control, you name it.

The death zone wrt deck height is from approx 1,55 to 2,8 mm. The area from "perfect" around 0,95 to 1,2 mm dependant on engine, up to about 1,55 reduces perfect squish which results in the need of more timing to get the burn to evolve enough and properly. HP wise there is not that much of a difference, but torque is measurable reduced and cylinderhead temps rise especially under load. The death zone is where the squish is not efficient at all which results in too much mix in the outer part of the cylinder not getting burned or getting burned so late in the powerstroke that it almost only creates heat in the cylinder and exhaust port. Above approx 2,8 mm. the squish is not evident and the burn begins to react somewhat like a hemi head, because now there is so much room between the piston and the flat areas in the head that the burn can evolve out of the chamber during the powerstroke. If such a situation occurs (maby turbo engines run like this) you need a somewhat advanced ignition timing, but then you can make fairly decent power, and the cylinderhead temps are LESS than if you were in the death zone.

Wrt static compression. In general my opinion is that this part of the automotive world sets the static compression too low and have too much deck. By spending the time (and maybe a little money) to optimize these two things you will already notice a significantly better and cooler running engine. That alone does not do it, but it is definitely a step in the right direction.
Of course it is cam/Bmep dependant, but Luke is correct with what he wrote about deck versus CR. The more efficient you can make the burn so it is almost all over BEFORE you open the exhaust valve the cooler the heads will be and the more static compression the engine can handle, meaning more hp, better torque and a cooler running engine.

Hope this helps.

T
Thanks for taking the time for that excellent explanation.
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
Zed999 wrote:

What happened to the bottom seat cut here?? Shocked
It got a deep cut. Very Happy
I'm told, to help the bigger (42.mm) valves work better in the teeny seats. What would you have done with 39.3 seats. 41mm valves would have been better but weren't obtainable. Don't shoot the messenger...
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
Zed999 wrote:
bugguy1967 wrote:

, ..thats ported?? big valves? wow that should be good for atleast 53 hp.
Excellent! 53 hp x 4 cylinders = 212 hp...oh wait... that's not what you meant is it? :Lol:
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

Just for Mark as I notice he likes slapping his forehead in disbelief...

I had half a dozen engines built by a reputable builder. All great engines so I had him build one for me. I supplied a new ali case a c35 cam kit, a pair of mexi heads and 90.5 p & c's. He said get a serp pulley kit and a pair of ict's. He supplied the rest including a 76mm wasser crank.

It was a dog. It made a tapping noise. It leaked at the pulley. He was a sort of mate and I trusted him, he built me other nice engines., so... On his arvice I had the little ends rebushed. Still tapped. Sounded central to me. He said thrash it until something breaks. So I did and loosened an exhaust baffle. Relaced muffler, still tapped.

Meanwhile in an effort to contain the pulley end leak I went as far as having an og oil spiral wire cut from a pulley and fitted to my serp pulley. Much better but still leaked. Also unless rammed full of oil it had intermittent pressure loss. Hmmm.

So I shipped it back to him. He said he could find no problem to case the tapping. When it came back it went even more badly. He sent me ratio rockers that perked it up a bit. Still tapped. Jeez, I got him to build it because I didn't want to even atempt to learn about engine building!

With no other option, I took it apart to at least find out what it was.
It had semi-hemi heads, a stock cam, 4mm+ deck height, a mullered oil thrower, a stock oil pump, ovalled rod big ends and the wrong size pickup rammed part way in the hole and stting at an angle best described as jaunty. The tapping noise was either the rods or crank whacking into the case roof in three places. The case had been clearanced...1" out.
Here are some pictures.

Oil pickup as found. It's securely fixed like this, it hasn't wandered.

Oil slinger - he dropped the crank in wrong then just carried on didn't he?

Oops, missed! Look also top right at the "neat" ledge for the tang on the wasser thrust bearing.

Oops again!

Lovely heads.

After seeing all this I thought I could do better. The case and crank hung in there but the rest was replaced. My version with the 40x35, c35, higher compression, j-tubes, vs exhaust, drla40's made 135hp flywheel but as said above got too hot on a long run. I decided a bigger more ploddy engine would better suit my next bus so I sold it to beetle owner who loved it.

So the funny part - I've come full circle back to an oversize low compression stock cam engine with too much deck. This one is better simply because it's bigger but really it's not what it should have been.;
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Squish and rpm Reply with quote

small seats with big valves do work good if done properly....(properly!!) most 40mm heads have sesta that are great for 42mm valve(type 1) I use the seats for 42mm valves for 44mm valve size as the 44mm seats are too big to get the right shapes and flow.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: