Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Small car big brakes sold out -- what are the parts?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Small car big brakes sold out -- what are the parts? Reply with quote

Hey! So, I have the GW hub kit and I want to use the small car kit to go with it minus the VC hubs.

Small Car says that they are sold out of their big brake kits. Can I not just buy the calipers, rotors and pads that are the replacements and make my own kit using the GW hub kit that I have and the later style spindles that I bought?

If so, what are the parts?

Thanks!
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Small car big brakes sold out -- what are the parts? Reply with quote

It isn't as simple as buying the parts and bolting them on. The caliper carrier brackets have to be modified to fit the Vanagon spindle uprights. The 2 large mounting bolt holes do not line up right. The 2 holes in each carrier bracket have to be reworked to match the locations on the Vanagon spindle upright.

Mark
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Small car big brakes sold out -- what are the parts? Reply with quote

Thanks -- good to know -- I hope it's worth all the $$ and trouble.

I guess I'll have to wait.
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Small car big brakes sold out -- what are the parts? Reply with quote

Here's a parts list:

http://www.syncro.ca/tech/audibrakes.htm

Mark's quite right, the holes need to be modified, and you need an 8mm spacer to offset the calipers to match the Vanagon hubs.

Perfectly possible, but you do need a milling machine (a drill press won't work) for modifying the calipers.

Finding calipers with the carriers is a bit of a trick, too.

Robyn
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: