Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another Ragtop Question
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Another Ragtop Question Reply with quote

First off this site desperately needs to delete post that show a bunch of dead links.

My question is an old one and I’m sure it’s been repeated numerous times.

I have a ragtop clip that has been jaggedly cut but it does have some of the under support metal still left. I’d like to be able to graft this from underneath to hide the welds with the rails. I’ve seen this in a VW trends/hot vw’s article before but I cannot find it. Does anyone have side dimensions or front dimensions for doing this from the underside?

Here is what I’m working with:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"Traveling in a fried-out Kombi
On a hippie trail head full of zombie"
-Men at Work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OvalinAz
Samba Mini Tech

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Ragtop Question Reply with quote

I did my oval like that. easy and looks great. I used original 56 ragtop car for measurements, marked up my roof with the same measurements and cut, welded and finished it.
12/62 French 11 Window Bus
Wedge VW
Pandraggers C.C.
jitbba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Ragtop Question Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=523719
jitbba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Ragtop Question Reply with quote

Don’t know the side distance but from the top of the windshield rubber to the ragtop opening should be 5.5” at the center of the vehicle
Smurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Another Ragtop Question Reply with quote

jitbba wrote:
Don’t know the side distance but from the top of the windshield rubber to the ragtop opening should be 5.5” at the center of the vehicle

This is where I am confused. 6b photo says measure the outside of opening but clearly he’s measuring the inside. This throws me off and the clarity of the whole process lol.

-Men at Work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jitbba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Another Ragtop Question Reply with quote

I think you're caught up on technicalities with the article and not looking at the bigger picture.

Position the ragtop clip inside the car and support it like they did. As long as the ragtop clip is properly measured from front to back, the sides are the easy part. I would not be hung up on the side to side measurements in that article; as long as both the numbers are the same on your specific car, then you're set!

Also, you are lucky enough to still have the front braces on your clip. They should butt up to the inner support structure once you have the clip positioned correctly.
Smurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Ragtop Question Reply with quote

jitbba wrote:
Also, you are lucky enough to still have the front braces on your clip. They should butt up to the inner support structure once you have the clip positioned correctly.

They kinda are and kinda not

-Men at Work
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: