Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

So it'll shift into third at light acceleration around 37-40, but runs screaming into 45 at full accel over a quarter mile before I have to come to a stop. I also enjoy knowing that the road in front of my house is a quarter mile, for testing purposes obviously Twisted Evil
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:

But back to Otto, I drove him around a bit today and he runs fantastic! But I've noticed a bit of an issue with shifting, it seems sometimes he won't go into third, just keeps revving in second while I drive it. This is an occasional problem, sometimes he does go all the way, but it may be my speed. I know elsewhere people say that it shifts around 45-50 from car to car, I can only get to 45 on my testing stretch of road while the car is screaming at me. The ATF after running around while in N and parked is a little low, about 1/4 above the bottom line of the stick, I'll pick some up and top it off.

So, have you topped it up yet? Get the car really warmed up, then check it in "N" on a flat surface, and see where the level is. If it's between the 2 lines you're ok, but if you're below the bottom line you'll need a half quart of fluid. Top it off, run it for a blast and see how it shifts. Keep in mind that as long as your foot is floored, you won't shift into 3rd until you're at 75mph. This is because the kick down switch is activated. Once at 75, then the trans will shift regardless. The top speed of an AT car is 88mph, according to VW.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

So, have you topped it up yet? Get the car really warmed up, then check it in "N" on a flat surface, and see where the level is. If it's between the 2 lines you're ok, but if you're below the bottom line you'll need a half quart of fluid. Top it off, run it for a blast and see how it shifts. Keep in mind that as long as your foot is floored, you won't shift into 3rd until you're at 75mph. This is because the kick down switch is activated. Once at 75, then the trans will shift regardless. The top speed of an AT car is 88mph, according to VW.

Must make a good time machine then! Very Happy But no, I've not topped it off yet, I had read about the full / normal accel before leaving and decided to test it. I think it's just because I was trying to fully accelerate it. I'm still going to top it off tomorrow when I can get to the store. I did check it after coming back around that same way, and it's like I said about a quarter above the bottom line.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

I think the full-throttle 2-3 shift happens a little lower, maybe 60mph, but it's been a bunch of years since I drove my auto '71. That's with the kick down switch closed from a full pedal. And top is about 81mph, though VW rates them a little conservatively.

Last edited by KTPhil on Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Actually, Mike, I've got a friend who can build me a bigger motor for Blue for a great price after we helped him out. I'm very excited to get blue back on the road! But my 66 bug takes priority for saving money to fix as the wedding car. Plus now I'm getting a '50 Willys from my Uncle that I've got to take care of as per a promise to him (long story short his health is failing.)

But back to Otto, I drove him around a bit today and he runs fantastic! But I've noticed a bit of an issue with shifting, it seems sometimes he won't go into third, just keeps revving in second while I drive it. This is an occasional problem, sometimes he does go all the way, but it may be my speed. I know elsewhere people say that it shifts around 45-50 from car to car, I can only get to 45 on my testing stretch of road while the car is screaming at me. The ATF after running around while in N and parked is a little low, about 1/4 above the bottom line of the stick, I'll pick some up and top it off.

Fuel Injection is designed for 1600 cc & won't work over 1776 cc. You might have to spend $500+ on dual Weber 40, 44 or 48 carburetors depending on the cc's & heads & exhaust.

Your AT sounds like it's shifting okay, but you're not even getting it warmed up to operating temperature in 1/4 mile!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:

Fuel Injection is designed for 1600 cc & won't work over 1776 cc. You might have to spend $500+ on dual Weber 40, 44 or 48 carburetors depending on the cc's & heads & exhaust.

Your AT sounds like it's shifting okay, but you're not even getting it warmed up to operating temperature in 1/4 mile!

The plan was carbs, yes,but we'll see. And no I had been running around town and up and down the road a few times, probably good 30 min run around. But I'll do it again today going further.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

Topped off the ATF after about an hour's driving it was still how it had been before, about a quarter over the bottom most line. Topping it off hasn't had much affect but I feel there was no problem to begin with and I simply didn't understand the automatic transmission. We definitely get all gears when I'm not trying to stomp it Very Happy
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

The plan was carbs, yes,but we'll see. And no I had been running around town and up and down the road a few times, probably good 30 min run around. But I'll do it again today going further.

You need to put 11 miles without shutting off the engine to get the trans warmed up properly. Ideally at speeds over 45, so it gets into high gear. This is mainly because ATF expands when warm.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

You need to put 11 miles without shutting off the engine to get the trans warmed up properly. Ideally at speeds over 45, so it gets into high gear. This is mainly because ATF expands when warm.

Yup, ran to wilsonville and back (probably about 16-18 miles) and like I said definitely get all gears, and does it well! Up to speed on the highway with ease, no running issues, though I think I need to lessen the idle speed a little bit.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

More fancy pics! I got the rear bumper on, I want to put the front on but it lacks mounts as of right now, and I'd like to find another used overrider for it as it's missing one.

I also installed some sun visors I had gotten from Mike long ago and always put off installing. Thanks, Mike! Weather permitting, I got to do a minor buff and polish today at work. It's not perfect and the job isn't great but it's much shinier now, I enjoy it a lot!

I've run into another problem however, I was testing lights and tested the brights. They're now on and can't be turned back to normal. It makes the click, but won't turn off the brights or the gauge indicator. Suggestions?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

Buy some yellow spray paint for that rear fender. It could be Texas or Shantung yellow if it is original paint? Put up a WTB ad for the overider etc parts you need.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Buy some yellow spray paint for that rear fender. It could be Texas or Shantung yellow if it is original paint? Put up a WTB ad for the overider etc parts you need.

I was thinking of painting it when I bought it, I think it's Texas but I'm not sure, either way the blue fender has grown on me and I think I'll keep it. I also may mount Blue's 69 front bumper for now since he's down and out. I hate to rob parts off him but he'll come back to life when I've got some cash, and he'll come back better than ever Very Happy
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

Still rockin around town great! I continue to work on his paint while I have time, as well. Sure is good working somewhere I can detail my paint free and with help! Borrowed a pressure gauge again and we're still good at 31 PSI. I do want to get a timing light on it when I have a chance to check and make sure we're good there, but I've got a transfer case to pick up and no money to spend on anything else. I'm hoping to take it to Cars and Coffee soon! Still having a bit of a water issue, though, I think it's coming in from the fresh air for sure, but I'm making sure to get it off the floor as soon as possible to avoid rust or messing with the sound deadening.

Also - my heat doesn't work. It blows a little air but it's never warm nor quick, yet the heat elements and channels are all in good condition. Could it have to do with the heater elbows and the "pre heat" pipes running off them?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

That blue fender is growing like a wart! You could probably paint it with your bosses compressor/spray gun? Primer/paint/clear it 1 fender at a time to practice/learn.
Buy a 8.5" X 11" magnetic rubber sheet & cut out ovals to block your intake vents.
The heater elbows are just elbows, so they can't be a problem. Block/tape off any 'pre heat' pipes if you don't have all the pieces & they are blowing or sucking air.
Make sure both your cables are fully opening the spring loaded flaps.
Check your interior cables & flaps behind the seats are set where they need to be for front heat & defroster.
There are more heater/defroster slide levers on the front kickpanels.
Ning didn't even like driving or riding in our squareback until I got both sides of the heaters working good. Cool
Our squareback heats up faster than my Dodge pickup!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
That blue fender is growing like a wart! You could probably paint it with your bosses compressor/spray gun? Primer/paint/clear it 1 fender at a time to practice/learn.
Buy a 8.5" X 11" magnetic rubber sheet & cut out ovals to block your intake vents.
The heater elbows are just elbows, so they can't be a problem. Block/tape off any 'pre heat' pipes if you don't have all the pieces & they are blowing or sucking air.
Make sure both your cables are fully opening the spring loaded flaps.
Check your interior cables & flaps behind the seats are set where they need to be for front heat & defroster.
There are more heater/defroster slide levers on the front kickpanels.
Ning didn't even like driving or riding in our squareback until I got both sides of the heaters working good. Cool
Our squareback heats up faster than my Dodge pickup!

I think it's got all the pieces for it, I can see the pipes run forward but can't see past the trans area to see where they actually go. Is there anything forward into the cab for the pre heats I should check? And yeah, my '72 warmed up quick when he ran, so I was a bit disappointing when the heat in this one's not working quite right! It should all be good as the tubing on both sides is brand new and connects to the elbows well, and the pipes off the elbows are all there. It does seem to defrost the window a bit but when I feel the air blowing from the foot well it's not warm at all. Maybe I just don't run it long enough around town.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

Did you crawl under the car & see if your 2 heater cables are fully opening the hot air flaps? Twisted Evil
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Did you crawl under the car & see if your 2 heater cables are fully opening the hot air flaps? Twisted Evil
I did just yesterday! They both open well but I noticed occasionally when they open they get stuck a bit, I'm going to work on that once the rain let's up a bit. I think if I laid on the floor today id be washed away!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:

Yup, until you check that you're getting full stroke of the cables at the flaps, you're not going to get full heat.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

So for now he rests, I've been driving the bug around and collecting supplies to do body work on that. The belt came a bit loose so it drained the bat. Bat is charged and ready just got to get around to replacing the belt. I gotta find a good 1600 for the bug, too. Little 1300 just won't do for long distance Razz
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
So for now he rests, I've been driving the bug around and collecting supplies to do body work on that. The belt came a bit loose so it drained the bat. Bat is charged and ready just got to get around to replacing the belt. I gotta find a good 1600 for the bug, too. Little 1300 just won't do for long distance Razz

You do know that you have to move the shims that are in between the pulley halfs to adjust it right? You take a shim or 2 out, to tighten the belt, and add a shim or 2 to tighten the belt. Those that you remove, you place under the pulley nut. It should be covered in both the service manual and the owners manual.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: