Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1987 Vanagon GL syncro: Fuse 12 short... need approach
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
torpedo51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:20 pm    Post subject: 1987 Vanagon GL syncro: Fuse 12 short... need approach Reply with quote

Hi,
I took my Syncro in to have some work done. The tech lowered the fuse panel. He was startled by a few of the unplugged wires, thinking that they came apart when he lowered the panel (even though its normal to have some of them disconnected) and so he started plugging them in randomly without asking anyone...and now fuse S12 blows every time I insert a fuse.

Fuse S12 controls all of these appliances: rear wiper motor, rear underseat auxiliary heater, power mirrors, and A/C. The power to S12 is fed by the Load Reduction Relay - which I tested and it functions perfectly.

Because there are so many circuits downstream from this one fuse, I'm having a hard time isolating the short. I can't seem to find a convenient "branch" where I can simply remove all 5 circuits and start adding them back until I find the bad one. Any advice? The wiring diagram I found on the Samba is for an 1985, and doesn't quite match my 1987.

Worth noting: the yellow/black power lead with the yellow plastic single connector in the top right of the photo should be connected, but is currently disconnected which makes me think the tech plugged the other end of this connector into something else by mistake, but I don't know what the other end looks like or what this is for. Help?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1987 Vanagon GL syncro: Fuse 12 short... need approach Reply with quote

You need to scroll down further in the 1985-86 "Vanagon Wiring Book (PDF)" until you reach the book for the 1986 models. This should cover your 1987 fairly well. The Bentley covers the various years in even better detail, and I wouldn't dream of owning a rig this old without one.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1987 Vanagon GL syncro: Fuse 12 short... need approach Reply with quote

What makes you so sure that yellow connector on black/yellow wire is supposed to be plugged into something?

Why was the tech lowering the panel?

Mark

torpedo51 wrote:
Worth noting: the yellow/black power lead with the yellow plastic single connector in the top right of the photo should be connected, but is currently disconnected which makes me think the tech plugged the other end of this connector into something else by mistake, but I don't know what the other end looks like or what this is for. Help?.....
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1987 Vanagon GL syncro: Fuse 12 short... need approach Reply with quote

Looking at page 97.118. Fuse 12 powers pin G1 that has a black yellow wire supplying power to the front blower switch. It supplies power to pin E8 that is power for the rear window wiper motor. It also suppllies power to pin G3, but that pin shows vacant in the 87.

Your results may vary.
torpedo51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1987 Vanagon GL syncro: Fuse 12 short... need approach Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
What makes you so sure that yellow connector on black/yellow wire is supposed to be plugged into something?

Why was the tech lowering the panel?

Because on my wiring diagram, and in a few other posts here, the purpose of this wire is to power the rear auxiliary heater or the power windows. I have both accessories installed in my car. These accessories and the others related to fuse S12 were all working perfectly before I dropped the car off at this shop, and now none of them are working. Seems like perhaps this wire should be connected, and perhaps serves power to all 5 of the accessories that are currently non-op.

The tech was lowering the panel to get behind it for another purpose - not for any electrical work.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1987 Vanagon GL syncro: Fuse 12 short... need approach Reply with quote

You said fuse 12 blows every time you insert it.
Those things that use fuse 12 wouldn't be expected to still work with the fuse blown.

Inside that loose yellow connector, what exactly do you see?

Mark
torpedo51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1987 Vanagon GL syncro: Fuse 12 short... need approach Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
You said fuse 12 blows every time you insert it.
Those things that use fuse 12 wouldn't be expected to still work with the fuse blown.

Inside that loose yellow connector, what exactly do you see?

Mark

It’s not melted or burned. I’m thinking the tech should have connected some wire to this connector, but instead he errantly plugged that other wire into a wrong connector elsewhere that is shorting the circuit on S12.

wanted: Wire “W” <—> BLK/Y
maybe got this: Wire “W” <—> ??? AND BLK/Y <—> unconnected
torpedo51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1987 Vanagon GL syncro: Fuse 12 short... need approach Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Looking at page 97.118. Fuse 12 powers pin G1 that has a black yellow wire supplying power to the front blower switch. It supplies power to pin E8 that is power for the rear window wiper motor. It also suppllies power to pin G3, but that pin shows vacant in the 87.

Yep - I see that. Something simple was accidentally done that disabled all these and is shorting them all out. It's got to be simple. Something that they all have in common.... ??

From 97.102:
Fuse 12 - Heater fan, rear wiper, cruise control, A/C, outside rear view mirror adjustment . . .. . 20amp

From 97.118, etc:
S12 -> G3: not used (no track)
S12 -> G1 (track 164) warm air blower switch (track 152) linked to ground (track 69) via T7 ground
S12 -> E8 (track 163) rear wiper motor
(track 162) rear window washer/wiper relay (Relay slot 11)

From 97.185:
S12 -> G1 (track 1) power mirrors

From 97.197:
S12 -> G1 (track 1) power windows

I'm not including the A/C diagram, due to complexity, and I don't have cruise control.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: