Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1972 Super Beetle restore...Fresh Air Box Help!?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: 1972 Super Beetle restore...Fresh Air Box Help!? Reply with quote

Pulled the fresh air box out of my 72 SB...the motor does not seem to function at all...had some nice mouse/rat nests inside of it! I put 12 volts to the wires, no nada! So, I am either looking for a good motor or a used box. Anyone know where I might look to find one??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Super Beetle restore...Fresh Air Box Help!? Reply with quote

Ebay occasionally has them pop up, the classifieds here, or a local junkyard.

They are not available new.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RichNJohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Super Beetle restore...Fresh Air Box Help!? Reply with quote

https://vimeo.com/1072065
https://vimeo.com/377760

Helpful videos on rebuilding them. Looks a little challenging to me but I'm a Klutz...
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Super Beetle restore...Fresh Air Box Help!? Reply with quote

RichNJohn wrote:
https://vimeo.com/1072065
https://vimeo.com/377760

Helpful videos on rebuilding them. Looks a little challenging to me but I'm a Klutz...

A few years ago I bought a Super air box with working fan. I just want to pass on that this doesn't pass on much air, even on higher speed.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
RichNJohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Super Beetle restore...Fresh Air Box Help!? Reply with quote

Cusser is correct. When I got my 72 Super Vert the air box fan was shot. I bought a new fan switch and found a box that does work but even with the fan on high it doesn't blow much more air than it does just moving down the road with the fan off. Unless you are in restoration mode and want everything to work there are probably more cost effective repairs you might want to tackle.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Super Beetle restore...Fresh Air Box Help!? Reply with quote

The vimeo videos are perfect for rebuilding the box and fan, I did that on my old '72. However, the others are also correct - the fan is not much more than a breeze, even on the "high" setting.

Now the curved windshield Super fans...those actually push a decent amount of air!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RichNJohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Super Beetle restore...Fresh Air Box Help!? Reply with quote

I'm currently replacing many of the dash switches and have run into a situation where I need to find some of those really small female spade electrical wire connectors like the ones that go to the fresh air fan switch and the brake warning light on the dash. Does anyone know what size the connectors are and maybe a good source for them?
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Super Beetle restore...Fresh Air Box Help!? Reply with quote

RichNJohn wrote:
I'm currently replacing many of the dash switches and have run into a situation where I need to find some of those really small female spade electrical wire connectors like the ones that go to the fresh air fan switch and the brake warning light on the dash. Does anyone know what size the connectors are and maybe a good source for them?

These, perhaps?
https://www.amazon.com/Uxcell-Connectors-Female-Spade-Terminals/dp/B00ACD9SQ2
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Super Beetle restore...Fresh Air Box Help!? Reply with quote

You will need to get the correct crimping tool for both parts of the connector. Give the crimper a small dab of dielectric grease. Makes for easy crimping and longer lasting connections!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
RichNJohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Super Beetle restore...Fresh Air Box Help!? Reply with quote

Thanks, the connectors on Amazon look like the correct size and I never thought about using dielectric grease. Good suggestion!
72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Super Beetle restore...Fresh Air Box Help!? Reply with quote

I think I have a rebuilt motor coming...we'll see when it gets here. Anyone know where to find the little rubber insulated bolt connectors? I think they're #12 or #11 on the air box diagram? Couldn't find them on McMaster-Carr...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alaitken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Super Beetle restore...Fresh Air Box Help!? Reply with quote

I just rebuilt my '72 SB Fresh Air Box, including its fan motor, and it is working great. I've installed it and here's my question. On the '72 SB, did VW use the padded wrap that goes around the junction between the fresh air box outlet and the joining vent duct. I've seen the wrap on other Beetles, and have
been advised to put it on mine as well. But I want mine to be just like it was when I bought it new, so I'd like to know if VW put the wrap on the '72 SB model, and if so, what was the purpose of the wrap?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Super Beetle restore...Fresh Air Box Help!? Reply with quote

alaitken wrote:
...On the '72 SB, did VW use the padded wrap that goes around the junction between the fresh air box outlet and the joining vent duct... and if so, what was the purpose of the wrap?

Yes, 72 SB did have the wrap, at least the yellow ones. Here are some pictures of the wrap on my Yellow 72 SB Vert after pulling back the cardboard cover over the dash area in the trunk. It looks like it is held on with some kind of rivet or button at each side of the wrap. I imagine the purpose is to seal and insulate the air flow. I did not know there was a cardboard tube inside as well so your pictures were informative that way. Looks like a beautiful build you have going there.

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
alaitken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Super Beetle restore...Fresh Air Box Help!? Reply with quote

Okay then...thank you Buggeee
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Super Beetle restore...Fresh Air Box Help!? Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
I did not know there was a cardboard tube inside as well so your pictures were informative that way.

I got my 1971 SB in 1976 and there were NO cardboard-type tubes inside those, just that snap-together padding.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
alaitken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Super Beetle restore...Fresh Air Box Help!? Reply with quote

The cardboard type tube inside is listed in Wolfsburg West website as VW part #113819717B for the ‘71 to ‘79 Super Beetle. Wolfsburg does not have it in stock and says it is no longer made. So I instead used a corrugated paper tube of the correct size to just nicely fit into the fresh air box outlets and the vent duct...just to ensure the two remain aligned and to provide a pathway for the airflow across the open 1 1/4” space between the two openings. The “cardboard” tube does cover most of the little square holes in the box outlet and the vent duct...but not all of them.

I wonder what the little square holes are for. To keep the corrugated paper tube from migrating into the air box, I fashioned a couple of 2” long xx “pins” from a length of thin steel wire. I slipped the pins through the little square holes on the air box side of the paper tube...that keeps the paper tube from moving toward the air box.
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Super Beetle restore...Fresh Air Box Help!? Reply with quote

The info on Wolfsburg West website is also incorrect. part #113819717B is for a 68 and later Beetle, not Super.
alaitken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Super Beetle restore...Fresh Air Box Help!? Reply with quote

Thanks for that info Raydog... but one of the many manuals I refer to in my restoration of this '72 Super is, "The Volkswagen Super Beetle Handbook"...A Restoration Guide For 1971-1974 Models, published by the Editors of VW Trends Magazine. On page 137 of that handbook is a photo of the corrugated plastic pipes known as "fresh air box hoses (113-819-717B)". And it makes sense to me to use something like that part number to keep the junction aligned. Mine had one of the two remaining when I took it apart during the restoration...don't know what happened to the other one of the two.

alaitken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Super Beetle restore...Fresh Air Box Help!? Reply with quote

After several good suggestions found on thesamba.com, I fashioned a covering for the fresh air connections from the fresh air box to the dashboard vent ducts on each side...left and right.

Volkswagen had originally put covers on those connections, but I was not very pleased with their appearance. They were made out of some style of thick jute...but it looked more like wall batting insulation...and was kind of ugly I thought. One good suggestion I got was to cover the jute with a layer of black vinyl to dress it up.

Then I started researching what the real purpose of the coverings was...why did VW engineers put coverings on in the first place? Turns out the generally agreed-to reasons are insulation, absorption of moisture from humid air, and covering of the duct perforation holes to keep air from escaping.

As for the insulation reason, I see no actual use in that. The fresh air box pulls ambient air from above the hood, accelerates it and sends it to the vents in the dashboard. It neither cools nor heats the air in that process, so I see no need for the insulation. But the covering does prevent air from escaping through the perforation holes...and that’s important to providing more airflow through the dash vents.

And in preventing the loss of air through the perforation holes, it also allows the jute to absorb moisture from the air, minimizing humidity in the cabin. But if the jute is absorbing moisture, I want the moisture to have a place to go rather than staying in the jute and creating mold and mildew. So I figured a vinyl covering would not be good. I need something that would be black, look good and allow moisture to wick and evaporate through it and out of the jute. So I used a black cutaway backing material normally used for embroidery. It’s porous and sturdy. And together with the jute, it covers the perforated holes in the ducting and provides a significant increase in airflow to the dash vents...more than I remember getting some 48 years ago when the Bug was new. Here's some photos of the result:

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Super Beetle restore...Fresh Air Box Help!? Reply with quote

Think about this for moment: why would VW put a bunch of small holes in the ductwork in the first place, and then wrap the whole thing with batting material? Your first clue is they used a similar holed duct and covering material for the heater ducting under the rear seat. Your next clue is to take a look inside a stock peashooter tailpipe. If those clues don't make things click into place, look up the official nomenclature for the wrap (part number 113 819 697). Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: