Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I have the hardest time...
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: I have the hardest time... Reply with quote

...making myself lay down enough paint. Spent most of my life with rattlecans, so when I fire up the HVLP I subconsciously expect it to be like rattle cans.

I'm painting some odds and ends with lacquer today and kept catching myself trying to do really light coats. Then it's, "Oh, yeah... You can go way wetter, idiot."

What's funny is I've been spraying with HVLP for years now, but only occasionally. I still rattle bomb for most stuff because I don't want to deal with cleaning the gun or tarping the garage. HVLP has way less overspray but it will still get everywhere if I'm not careful.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: I have the hardest time... Reply with quote

I too have been a rattle can fan. They’re just too easy.
Recently, since I’m refreshing my 70/71 Bastard Child, I bought an Eastwood Concours kit and some paint for my new wheels, engine bay and trunk area.
I started with the wheels just to ghost the car color in the recesses
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then moved on to the engine bay and trunk areas.

Actually my favorite new to me product is high build primer. Works like magic for minor pits and scratches.
I found the HVLP guns very easy to control and adjust. The color was easiest. The clear is a little more funky as everything I looked at said two or three light coats, then a “flow coat” which basically means thick to the point of running.
That was the trickiest.
I also learned that the real reason for a proper paint booth is so that you can see what you’re doing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: I have the hardest time... Reply with quote

Like that color.

For me the paint booth mostly is just to keep the trash out of the paint. Since I don't have one... When the 64 gets painted I'm going to use a party tent. Tape it all off, get a couple of squirrel cage blowers with filters taped on them to overpressure the tent, and go to town.

Better lighting would be nice, but not really possible in my situation. And being out in the sunlight, it should be bright enough. I'll have a few big handheld LED bars for checking the finish though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: