Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

I just did a 2 day road trip to pick up a '64 (not '63 as previously reported) Kombi (details won't get posted until I get this VIN stuff sorted... sorry!) from the 2nd owner who bought it in 1970.

Do the deal, load it up and take it home. Drop in in the garage and unpack, eat dinner and get ready to go to bed...

"But wait", I thought to myself, "I still need to get a picture of the M-plate for the Samba crowd or I'll never hear the end of it." So out to garage I go. Locate the plate, snap a picture of it and then it hits me... the VIN that's on here doesn't match the title... not even close. So I check the engine bay tag... same VIN there... and still nothing to match the title. Quick text to a local friend... "don't forget to check for the stamp on the frame in the engine bay" Well duh! Of course that must be it... nope... no stamp to be found.

Now, before you start spouting off that the guy is playing me and I'm an idiot for not verifying this stuff first let me just state -
- known the guy for 7+ years.
- retired school teacher who still gets the "Hey Mr. P!" when he's in town and one of his former students sees him
- he has all of his old registration cards. Every. Single. One. Wrapped around the steering column and held on with a spring. I took those off and did a quick check. 1970, 1971, 2017, 2018 all have the exact same info as the registration card

So my first question is... if the title says the VIN is 0243487, where could I possibly find that stamped / tagged to the body / frame so I can prove the the DMV here that yes, this is in fact the right car?

Second question - if I can't find that number anywhere (and it doesn't looks like an actual VIN, now that I've dug around some), how can I (or the PO) convince the CA DMV that they screwed something up 50 years ago?

I really, really, really don't want to have to take this back to the guy for a lot of reasons. I like him and they've come upon some hard times which is the ONLY reason they sold it (his wife broke down crying and he was close to it when I pulled off with it). And it's a really cool bus. Needs some love but from what I can tell lurking around here, it's not very common at all.

So I'll thank you in advance for whatever help you can give. This is not my first VW but it is my first air cooled... and I'm dying to start work on it. But I don't want to put money into it if I have to haul it back to the seller....

Oh - and some pics to help with visualization and the title to show what I'm dealing with. I did realize that you will likely be able to glean some details from the pics despite my best efforts to redact the juicy bits... lol

M-Plate
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Engine Bay Tag

Area around the Engine Bay Tag

Title

Last edited by Thompson2 on Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

Hi. Is there a chance it was registered using the engine number instead of the VIN. I know that used to happen back in the day. Not sure what the proper solution to that is, but it's the case, I'm sure someone here will tell you how to rectify it.

Good luck with the new bus.
-Greg
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

The "real" VIN/Chassis # is the stamped-in VIN by the battery tray.

0243487 looks like the original engine number to me.
This is a 1500cc engine number from June, 1963.

This M-code plate says July 3rd but ignore for now that as the charts say your VIN is late June, 1963 too so they must be off a little for that month.

Does it have the engine in it and does the engine # match 0243487?

CA used to register cars by the engine # for YEARS.
This should be something that is easy to correct at the DMV but may require a police inspection.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

Thanks Greg. I was wondering the same thing. Even took a picture of the number stamped on the current (3rd or 4th) motor since it looked like a similar format but it's OH5538551 and I know they built a lot of motors, but 5 million seemed a bit high... lol

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

This M-code plate says July 3rd but ignore for now that as the charts say your VIN is late June, 1963 too so they must be off a little for that month.

Does it have the engine in it and does the engine # match 0243487?

CA used to register cars by the engine # for YEARS.
This should be something that is easy to correct at the DMV but may require a police inspection.

Cool. Another place to look. I was looking too far back, I think.

It does have an engine, but not the original by a long shot (see my previous reply for a pic). The bus is now in Oregon, so it may be trickier. If I can convince them that the original registration was done with the motor number and that it was swapped many years ago, maybe I can get the title updated to the actual VIN, it'll make life simpler in the future.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

I think an affidavit signed by the PO may be of help in OR. Perhaps one that spells out the engine swap- and that his title was based on that old number and not the bus itself? Obviously a condensed version of the info the letter should contain... A call to your DMV should help.

In Idaho title background checks delay the issuing of a new, bonafide title, but if it is a project, it's worth the delay to me. I went though this in ID- but it was a vehicle I'll have for life (just like all the others). Smile

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

x2

Do you need an inspection for OR registration? I would just change the title over and be happy.
At some point you can get the paperwork sorted out to register it to the VIN. I have done this before with VWs registered to the engine #. You can write off for the birth certificate, or use the VIN chart to show it was reg'd to the original engine number.

turkis/ BW standard with no port code so M 056. IS it US spec brought over long ago? Or euro spec?
or is it a westy?
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
I think an affidavit signed by the PO may be of help in OR. Perhaps one that spells out the engine swap- and that his title was based on that old number and not the bus itself? Obviously a condensed version of the info the letter should contain... A call to your DMV should help.

In Idaho title background checks delay the issuing of a new, bonafide title, but if it is a project, it's worth the delay to me. I went though this in ID- but it was a vehicle I'll have for life (just like all the others). Smile

Yeah, I'm assuming something like that will work, I know he included a receipt for at least one of the swaps, so there's a paper trail for that.

And she'll be a garage queen for a while, so if it takes some time to get it registered "correctly" I don't really care. There's some mechanical work to do before I'm comfortable driving her around much so I've got some time.

And yes, I plan to keep this for a long, long time. Smile
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
[
Do you need an inspection for OR registration? I would just change the title over and be happy.
At some point you can get the paperwork sorted out to register it to the VIN. I have done this before with VWs registered to the engine #. You can write off for the birth certificate, or use the VIN chart to show it was reg'd to the original engine number.

turkis/ BW standard with no port code so M 056. IS it US spec brought over long ago? Or euro spec?
or is it a westy?

I do need an inspection because it's an out of state transfer. If it was already registered here or I lived in CA this would be a non-issue.

Once I get it in my name, I may ping you on tips to get it registered to the VIN (if they can't / won't do that on the initial registration here).

And you'll have to wait on the details (but yes, your color combo is correct). I don't want to start a bunch of conversations on this if I don't get to keep it.... That would just make me sad. But I have high hopes I'll get it sorted out.
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

Old school Cali 'pink slip' that was registered to the engine number. Common now lets see some pics of the bus.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

You guys are gonna shit a brick when you see what he has.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

Ohhh! The suspense!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

Im leaning Westy...

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Im leaning Westy...

"Body Type Model - HSCR" is the hint. I think I'm leaning the same way as you, but it might be 'cause I've only got one shoe on...

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

California will only require a VIN inspection done by CHP/PD/DMV and fill out a statement of facts. No need to involve the seller at all as this is a simple fix.

Easy enough and you'll have a clean title with the correct vin.

Good luck and now post pics! As Crofty says i'm leaning Westy also! Very Happy
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:
crofty wrote:
Im leaning Westy...

"Body Type Model - HSCR" is the hint. I think I'm leaning the same way as you, but it might be 'cause I've only got one shoe on...

Housecar?
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

That's the CA designation given to RV's and campers by the DMV that allows you to drink in the back. My Westy is registered this way.

No port code, German delivered Westy is my guess.

BTW, here is the CA DMV vehicle code that covers this. I keep a copy of this in my Westy as documentation just in case. Smile

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&sectionNum=23225.
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

'Housecar' was a pretty common name for really early camper/RV type vehicles. Think of the 'tiny homes' trend but with old-school craftsmanship on truck chassis, etc. Funny to see it used in the 60s. Google it... some were nuts.

I'm hoping for a Dormobile, personally, but good luck either way with the DMV stuff.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
You guys are gonna shit a brick when you see what he has.

Just to be a jerk...

Final shot of VIN stuff. This is the stamp in the engine bay by the battery box. Matches the number on the engine bay tag and the M plate, so that's good. New Bill of Sale on it's way for Seller signature. DMV seemed to think they'd just issue the title under the correct VIN, no big deal (I'm prepared for a full day of nonsense...)

And the pic you guys are bugging me for...

lol... I'll build a separate thread after I finish up here with all the goodness, I promise (and add a link here). Just need to organize how I want to lay it out.

But dang, you guys are great at guessing. The things you've gotten right with pretty limited info
- Westy
- BW / Turkis
- 1500 (need to verify that the current motor is a 1500)
- German delivery

Love this place!
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: First Post - Not What I wanted it to Be.... Need VIN help Reply with quote

If this is the Washington one that lived on the peninsula in the trees for many years with a lot of other volkswagens, it’s totally fraudulent. Like legit tampering.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: