Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CLK wheels [01-03]
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: CLK wheels [01-03] Reply with quote

I decided to make a special thread regarding the specific year 01-03 CLK320 wheels. Same rim size 16x7.

No these are not the superior "CLK" wheels, aka "Fuchs" that are sought afterwards.

I scored my set from a vanagon owner, with fresh tires for $350.

I am running 225/55 R16 on a 01-03 CLK320 rims. 10mm spacers in front and back, with longer lug studs and lug bolts. The last picture shows T3's center caps on these wheels.

This post is simply to start a dedicated thread/information regarding the 01-03 CLK320 rims.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels [01-03] Reply with quote

Plastidip black vs original silver

shagginwagon83 wrote:
Aryana wrote:
I prefer the 01-03 CLK wheels over the earlier ones.

10mm rear spacers and 5mm spacers up front from T3 Technique has my tintop sitting nice and handling awesome.

215/55-R16 Michelin Primacy mxm4 to keep the diameter as close to stock as possible. This way the gearing and suspension geometry is unchanged and the van still drives like it should.

Aryana wrote:
We also put a set on my brother’s Flash Silver Syncro tintop with some BFG tires that are just perfect.

Aryana wrote:
I’m getting a few PMs asking what tires I ran on my 01-03 CLK wheels so I wanted to post up the details.

I installed 215/55-R16 Michelin Primacy mxm4 to keep the overall diameter as close to stock as possible, with the goal of keeping the gearing and suspension geometry unchanged so the van still drives like it should. The one thing that did change was that it feels like it’s on rails compared to the 14” alloys and there was a huge improvement in controllability in crosswinds too.

A 10mm rear spacer left 5mm clearance to the sliding door when open. 5mm spacers on the front made the track front to rear look perfect on my 2wd tintop.

crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels [01-03] Reply with quote

I have put those on 2 of our family vans.
No spacers, stock length studs, special nuts all around.
215/65R16 XL tires.

Slight clearance grinding needed up front for the rim lip and the tire width.

The lug bolt holes have been bored to match what VW 14" alloy rims have for thickness at the holes so stock studs can work.

Here is a photo from my recent trip along the Croatian coast. More scenic overall than PCH.

Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: