Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trash
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Trash Reply with quote

Where to you put it? Any elegant solutions?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Trash Reply with quote

We hang a plastic grocery bag off the passenger seat armrest. Definitely not elegant,
but it's cheap & easy to deal with, both on the road & while in camping mode.... Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Trash Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
We hang a plastic grocery bag off the passenger seat armrest. Definitely not elegant,
but it's cheap & easy to deal with, both on the road & while in camping mode.... Cool

- Dave

I agree with this comment (we do the same).

In addition, a Trasharoo bag is a wonderful addition to carry recyclable trash back home to recycle or to carry trash bags when doing dispersed camping.

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Trash Reply with quote

If you're talking daily trash, many have small trash cans either between the seats or on the floor behind one of the seats.

Camping trash requires large plastic trash bags, which I normally keep outside under the picnic table if it's not bear country. Otherwise in the camper it goes for the night.

Craig
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Trash Reply with quote

A carabiner or two clipped onto the metal posts from the headrest are also great hooks for plastic bags.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Trash Reply with quote

That's a good idear as well.

Craig
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Trash Reply with quote

I don't know about elegant, but I use a 3 gallon trash can with plastic bag liner (usually a 3-gallon bag, but sometimes a grocery bag). While driving, it's nested inside a second can, which is for gray water. A vinyl snap strap keeps them from flopping over during hard cornering (strap is screwed to inside of cabinet door where the old factory plastic door stay was).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Trash Reply with quote

During the day, we usually hang a garbage bag from the passenger rear view mirror... easy to reach from inside the van without taking up floor space. Doesn't look terribly classy though...
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Trash Reply with quote

When it's just the two of us our trash/recycle production is relatively low. I have acces to a great supply of poly bags similar to the one below at my employer (if you work at a place with a shipping account you probably do as well). We use one bag for trash and one for recycle. When they're full peel of the strip, seal the flap (just like putting it in the mail) and close it up. The bag itself is recyclable #4.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
IoWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Trash Reply with quote

Go to Walmart and buy a plastic cereal container with a closable lid.
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Trash Reply with quote

IoWesty has the right idea, all i hear is plastic, plastic, plastic, i think were all at a environmentally aware time, were all campers and love nature, we should be thinking about the future, and plastic bags aren't it
heidi85ho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Trash Reply with quote

We had a large Rubbermaid container for storing large amounts flour, like 10 pounds. It looked perfect for a sealable trash bin, and has been for the last 10 years. Seals good and washes clean.
Vilas69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Trash Reply with quote

Waterproof PVC Dry Bag: cheap, super tough, smell proof, spill proof, reusable, very easy to clean, and you can hang wherever you want
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trk...kw=dry+bag
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Trash Reply with quote

On daily traveling trash, we try to keep a neat ship.

Whatever bag a purchase came in we use for trash, wrappers, paper towels, tissues, whatever.

We dump that bag any chance we get at a rest area, a retail place, etc.
While traveling we've found McDonalds (GASP!) to have reliably clean bathrooms. We make frequent stops (we're old) and honestly, we will grab a drink or breakfast item while using their facilities.
We also drop off accumulated trash..... thanks Ronald!
BTW......
Any change we get goes into the Ronald McDonald house box. Possibly one of the (if not the) greatest charities ever run by a huge corporation. If you haven't known anyone that was helped by them, believe me, their help freely given to families of sick children is nothing short of amazing!
My daughter all but lived in one for a year when my grandson was born and had an extended stay at the Childrens Hospital in Aurora Colorado. (Denver)

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Trash Reply with quote

Keep all grocery/store bags. Hang them on drivers seat usually

mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Trash Reply with quote

Coughlan's folding trash can. Two trash bags, use clothes pins to hang both in the trash can. Recycling goes in one, trash in the other. Zip it up and compress it down at night, put in the van. Repeat until full.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Trash Reply with quote

$6 at Mal-Wart (which I goto sparingly, but will buy some items if we're camping in the lot) Lined with the evil plastic grocery bag..
I hang the bad/stinky/headed out trash bags from the broken radio antenna to drive out to the dumpsters.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Trash Reply with quote

I usually hang a grocery store bag wrapped a couple to times on the sliding door handle when I am camping with the door open. If I close the door, I remove the bag, close it up and just put it on the floor. I would put it in my trasharoo if I had a trasharoo if I had a spare tire on the back, but I don't. When rolling, it usually gets left just inside the door for disposal at the nearest trash can.
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Trash Reply with quote

We've used this Thule seat back bin for trash for a couple years, now. There is a provision to insert and retain a disposable plastic shopping bag. The cargo net I have strung across to keep our dogs out of the front seat area also holds the lid down preventing the dogs from sampling the contents of the bin. Easily accessible from the rear when camping or the driver's seat while driving.

I checked Amazon and Ebay and could not find this particular model (Thule 7033). It's probably discontinued.

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Trash Reply with quote

Plastic grocery bag hung off the table knob next to the kitchen or the front seat armrest or the awning clip on the outside of the B pillar depending on where we need it at the time. Empty it every evening so no trash inside overnight. An actual trash can/bin just gets in the way too much.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: