Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trash
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Trash Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can get these at a lot of FLAPs too. I use two of them, placed between the front seats and lined with plastic bags, one for trash, one for recyclables.

The point made above about excess plastic is well received though. I may start using paper bags if our trash/recyclables are dry enough to allow.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Trash Reply with quote

Reduce, don't store.

When the trash and garbage has to be rowed ashore in the rain each night, you get good about not making any.

In camp mode, we make so little we just small bag it and throw the bag under the rear seat.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Trash Reply with quote

For trash:

A small, hanging cordura bag, with liquid proof lining, that hangs behind the driver seat:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XRXBZJ9

I've used this brand for about a year and they are very good. They get emptied at every gas station.

We carry a recycling bin on the back of the van, in the RMW swing out tray, seen above. It's basically a milk crate with a plastic lid on it (actually, it's a Sparkletts water jug cage, which is taller, sturdier, and has a slightly smaller footprint). Paper, plastics, and bottles go in there and we recycle them whenever possible. My fellow travelers have been really positive about the recycling. They love to travel but hate abandoning an environmentally conscious life while traveling, so having the recycle bin really helps keep everyone feeling good about how they handle their waste. Having the bin on the back of the van also makes it that much easier to pick up found trash in our campsites. Whether it is recyclable or not, having an outside-of-the-van place to stow it is helpful.

I've looked into the Trasharoo but I don't have a spare tire on the back of the van, and I don't like how they hang from the spare tire anyway. The jug cage is perfect--nobody wants to steal it, and it's easy to use.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WLD*WSTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Trash Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
$6 at Mal-Wart (which I goto sparingly, but will buy some items if we're camping in the lot) Lined with the evil plastic grocery bag..
I hang the bad/stinky/headed out trash bags from the broken radio antenna to drive out to the dumpsters.

I have that one also. The colors match my early Westy interior, and it compresses flat for storage.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Trash Reply with quote

We have used this small flip lid can for years. We line it with two grocery bags and the can will hold a lot of stuff once compacted down. It usually lives under the end of the bed for easy access.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Trash Reply with quote

The Trasharoo gave me an idea to strap an old smelly military backpack onto my ladder. It also doubles as a firewood hauler (it will carry a 7-11 firewood bundle)

mikemtnbike wrote:
Coughlan's folding trash can. Two trash bags, use clothes pins to hang both in the trash can. Recycling goes in one, trash in the other. Zip it up and compress it down at night, put in the van. Repeat until full.

Thats pretty cool

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Coghlans-Pop-Up-Tr...lsrc=aw.ds
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Trash Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Plastic grocery bag hung off the table knob next to the kitchen

Agreed- remove it as often as possible, which you can do at gas stations. A Vanagon does not have enough space to carry garbage around.

Before it grows enough to block the fridge door, tie it up, and place the closed bag into the passenger's foot area where it may fall out when the door is opened and it's in the way as the passenger tries to get in. Passenger will take over from there.

I do like the idea of the external collapsible can, to keep a neat campsite without having to go back into the van. But then when you're in the van you have to go outside to dispose of stuff. But TWO trashcans is a bit much.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Trash Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Reduce, don't store.

When the trash and garbage has to be rowed ashore in the rain each night, you get good about not making any.

In camp mode, we make so little we just small bag it and throw the bag under the rear seat.

This parallels our style as well, except instead of rowing we learned it when backpacking with trash.

We use plastic shopping bags, doubled into a collapsible Canadian fire bucket required when building campfires Up Dere. Fire bucket doubles as a wash basin after using cooler ice water to chill beers. The lid is a Frisbee, doubling as the best wind-generating fire starter.

An average week leaves us with three bags of trash, but we buy almost no packaged anything (typically not real food anyway). Things like cereal and yogurt are transferred into storage containers right in the grocery store parking lot.

Recycling is great, but still takes energy... best to not generate new stuff to recycle.

— Colin Chapman
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Trash Reply with quote

Beers= recycling, E1.

Or at least that's the main reason we make sure to plan for it on the road.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Trash Reply with quote

True, was referring to excess packaging common in barely-food items (processed and over-packaged foods, not to mention bottled water).

Recycling is great, but especially so if minimized by not buying excessive junk-to-be.

— Colin Chapman
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Trash Reply with quote

Yup, reduce-reuse-recycle, the 3"R's." For beer though- I haven't figured out how to reuse it, except as rodent repellent around my garden and compost (rabbits etc usually won't cross a line of human urine). Reduce? Yeah, I'm not ready for that yet while camping, give me another couple years. So, recycle it is.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Trash Reply with quote

Agreed - same here. Decline to purchase items that include one-use containers that the earth must accept and store for you. Not that this is easy on the road, but if you buy food that has no container you might live longer.

We do not reserve any precious Vanagon storage space for recycling on the road. We would recycle but I NEVER see recycling infrastructure offered to auto travelers. There's no way auto travelers will have the patience for it, all 3 receptacles will be mixed garbage.

We recycle at home.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Trash Reply with quote

There's the rub. We tried to recycle in small towns early in our full-timing, but found ourselves being unpaid Waste Management truckers.

I'd love to recycle PBR cans into aluminum heads, but haven't room for the sand casts. Wink

We reduce volume, in what we buy, and what we re-use. Cereal boxes become fire starter, same for cardboard or paper bags. What gets pitched gets cut apart or compressed to take up less landfill space -- because toxins aside, it really is all about space.

mikemtnbike wrote:
Yup, reduce-reuse-recycle, the 3"R's." For beer though- I haven't figured out how to reuse it, except as rodent repellent around my garden and compost (rabbits etc usually won't cross a line of human urine). Reduce? Yeah, I'm not ready for that yet while camping, give me another couple years. So, recycle it is.

Yep, tough to live without until you have a mailbox on the roof. Wink

— Colin Chapman
thebigben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Trash Reply with quote

Loving this trashcan. Only issue I've had is that I like rotating the passenger seat 180 while in camping mode and haven't found a good spot to put the trashcan.

It has a really awesome liner too that is easy to wash out, and storage pockets on the side. I keep a canvas bag inside the front pocket for recyclables.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KQJKF2W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

'85 2WD Westy w/ Peloquin TBD + 2.2 Subi (Kurt Vannegut)
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Trash Reply with quote

WOW a post blast from the past,
nice seats theBigben

I just used this same pop up can this weekend. though we no longer have plastic grocery bags in NYS.. they've been banned.. and rightly so.. even if they are handy.. alot less of them hanging from trees and shrubs by the roadsides these days..
I fit in a small bathroom trashbag now, laced with fabreeze fwiw.

danfromsyr wrote:
$6 at Mal-Wart (which I goto sparingly, but will buy some items if we're camping in the lot) Lined with the evil plastic grocery bag..
I hang the bad/stinky/headed out trash bags from the broken radio antenna to drive out to the dumpsters.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Trash Reply with quote

For many years, we've used a 5-gallon hunting bucket with padded seat top. Inside, a plastic bag contains trash and another bag recyclables. The snap-on lid helps keep odors down.

Also serves multiple duty as a booster stool for getting into the upper bunk, and a footrest when loafing in the swiveled passenger seat. When one needs to keep the Westy roof down (cold weather, stealth, etc.), one can sit on the stool for kitchen tasks--I sometimes prepare and clean up entire meals for two while seated on such a bucket stool.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: