Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 63 Subhatch Flipseat
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
First off, don't sweat it. Have fun with this or its not worth doing.

Second, you may want to consider just cleaning up the interior and getting the bus running/driving/stopping. Then attend a few shows/campouts and really enjoy the bus. That will get you charged up to then start tackling the rust.

I've seen many guys jump in and strip a bus completely and then lose interest.

For sure. Not sweating it too much. I just need to remind myself that I don't have to do it all at once and chunk off smaller bits to tackle a bit at a time. When I look at everything at once, it's too much - so I need to not to that. lol

Shifting, brakes and steering will all be addressed first (with cleanup sprinkled in among those) . Then I'll start looking into the rust repairs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Z wrote:
Lots of folks here who will help, too.

I've been utterly impressed with the community spirit here. I'm new to air cooled, but not to VW. I've had several before and the community around those was okay, but nothing like this.

Awesome crowd!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
Z wrote:

I've been utterly impressed with the community spirit here. I'm new to air cooled, but not to VW. I've had several before and the community around those was okay, but nothing like this.

Awesome crowd!

I think, among other things, there is a lot of desire to vicariously live busses other than our own, and TS forums facilitate that. I don't have room for my own flipseat at the moment, so I look forward to 'working on' yours!
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

The things you are missing wont have anything to do with the camping experience itself other than maybe the tent. You are very lucky to have such a great start on your project. Most subhatches have way worse rust than what I can see there.

I had amazing success using a "Magic Eraser" on the cabinets and the interior paint. I suggest putting on your favorite tunes, grab a cold one and hit that dash with the eraser. its a great place to get a bit of quick satisfaction!

Thompson2 wrote:
crofty wrote:
Great project and score!

You have a great foundation to start with there. I just went through all the MCodes, fun!

I just got my '62 on the road not long ago and it was in worse shape than yours appears to be!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611253

Yup.. I'm familiar with that one. Love your work on the cabinets. I will need to pull these to clean them up and repair some of the veneer on the shelves.
It's starting to peel up. It looks like I'll need a lot of the same repairs that you did... better go re-read that one.

I had about 2 months to ponder my purchase (and freak myself out over how bad it *could* be) before I picked it up. So I spent waaaaaay to much time on here reading through a bunch of the split threads. Loads of great info.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Your transaxle set up should be big-drum / small-nut 1963 only. You could probably sell the old California pair of plates, if you wanted, with some paperwork. They look to match the Los Angeles dealer distribution sector of 1963. Tell how you found it?
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Your brakes should be big-drum / small-nut 1963 only.

I'll take your word on the brakes for now.. lots and lots to learn. But they are high on the list to inspect / adjust / repair. A front disc conversion is likely in their future as well.

BarryL wrote:
You could probably sell the old California pair of plates, if you wanted, with some paperwork.

I'll be keeping the plates if I can convince the State of Oregon to let me have them. I may just take them off when I go to title it...

BarryL wrote:
Tell how you found it?

We bought a puppy from the owner several years ago and we visit them about once a year. They weren't using much (heat doesn't work for obvious reasons), so it was under utilized and they knew my wife and I liked it. So when they needed funds fairly quickly, they offered it to us. With some prodding, I realized that we couldn't say no...
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Nice project!!

Think that you should focus on getting rid of the rust underneath. Then sealing the steel with zinc primer and paint. Waiting much longer and driving it much more will probably result in more sheet metal needing to be replaced.
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

All--is the laminate on the cabinet doors the same stuff that is on the tabletop in an SO-42?
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
All--is the laminate on the cabinet doors the same stuff that is on the tabletop in an SO-42?

IIRC it is.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Major Woody wrote:

IIRC it is.

So if a guy was so inclined he could possibly make replacement doors for his SO34 from the table of a SO42... hmmmmm... anyone know off the top of their head what the sizes of the table and the doors are? Wondering if "a guy" would need just one table or he'd have to pony up for 2....
Wolfsburg Classics
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Rather than buying up old tables...
Check out www.nlavw.com thay have the correct formica in sheet form.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

I'd also check with Repro Westy as they make almost everything now:

https://reprowesty.com/interieur/
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
crofty wrote:
Major Woody wrote:

IIRC it is.

So if a guy was so inclined he could possibly make replacement doors for his SO34 from the table of a SO42... hmmmmm... anyone know off the top of their head what the sizes of the table and the doors are? Wondering if "a guy" would need just one table or he'd have to pony up for 2....

I can trace mine or anything else you need, just let me know.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
I can trace mine or anything else you need, just let me know.

Anything? Box 'em up and ship 'em to me? Laughing
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Wolfsburg Classics wrote:

So cool that they have produced this laminate now! It looks good from here in the photos. Would be great to see it laid up against original stuff.

https://nlavw.com/interior/601-westfalia-laminate-...x-06m.html

Thompson2 wrote:

Steering lock is currently disconnected (not sure how effective it is if you can bypass it by unplugging it.. lol)

The column lock works mechanically, the wires going to it are just the ignition wires. If you still have the key for it you can try it out and see if it will still lock.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
Wolfsburg Classics wrote:

So cool that they have produced this laminate now! It looks good from here in the photos. Would be great to see it laid up against original stuff.

https://nlavw.com/interior/601-westfalia-laminate-...x-06m.html

If you're patient (and Crofty welches on his "anything" offer Laughing ), I can do that... it may take a couple of years, but I'll get to it.

oakman wrote:

Thompson2 wrote:

Steering lock is currently disconnected (not sure how effective it is if you can bypass it by unplugging it.. lol)

The column lock works mechanically, the wires going to it are just the ignition wires. If you still have the key for it you can try it out and see if it will still lock.

I'll have to investigate tonight. There's a key to start the car, but I don't know if the same key (or one of the door keys?) will work in the lock. Guess I'll find out. If I don't have a key, can one be made?
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Be a shame not to use the ignition lock! A key can be made for sure.

Gabvwkey on here should be able to make them. Search for him and send him a PM. Perhaps it can be cut using the code on the cylinder? I have no idea but it would beat removing the lock and shipping it.

That laminate would have to come from Europe. Shipping would be an unpleasant experience, I'm sure. If I were you I would hit up the Seattle area and Portland area shows and see if you can bring home a couple tabletops. Early bay westy tables should have the same laminate. Occasionally you might come across a water damaged tabletop that is warped but you might be able to get the laminate off of it.

Post a WTB ad as well. Sometimes people will sell or even give you things out of their stash if they deem you and your bus to be a worthy cause.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Z wrote:
srfndoc wrote:
First off, don't sweat it. Have fun with this or its not worth doing.

Second, you may want to consider just cleaning up the interior and getting the bus running/driving/stopping. Then attend a few shows/campouts and really enjoy the bus. That will get you charged up to then start tackling the rust.

I've seen many guys jump in and strip a bus completely and then lose interest.

x2

It looks super solid enough to do just this. Your to do list will form and order itself as you get into it, but keep it as usable as you can, and you'll feel a lot better about all aspects of it.

x3

Personally, being able to drive around and camp in it makes me more connected to the bus. You might pick up a repro tent and poles, or an original. That is a great camping accessory! there is still some good weather this summer.
Quote:

Steering lock is currently disconnected (not sure how effective it is if you can bypass it by unplugging it.. lol), ambulance fan is non-op at the moment (add it to the list) and I need to make sure the current motor is a 1500. Tips on how to determine that (when I have the time)?

The steering/ignition lock locks the steering wheel when you remove the key in the 'halt' position. So if someone hotwires the bus, they cannot turn the wheel, it's harder to drive away. It seems helpful as a theft prevention. At least as good as a club, and a nice factory option besides.

The cabinet door laminate is the same as early bay westy table as well IIRC.
I would sort it out as a driver first. Give it a bath.
The roof wood around the hatch looks pretty decent. That area is often rotted.
Nice find Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
Z wrote:

x3

Personally, being able to drive around and camp in it makes me more connected to the bus. You might pick up a repro tent and poles, or an original. That is a great camping accessory! there is still some good weather this summer.

The plan is definitely to get it running driving properly before I even really think about cutting pieces off. I have had more than one project end in disgust because I went too far too fast and got overwhelmed trying to get everything back together. I will not be making the same mistake with this.

Clara wrote:

The steering/ignition lock locks the steering wheel when you remove the key in the 'halt' position. So if someone hotwires the bus, they cannot turn the wheel, it's harder to drive away. It seems helpful as a theft prevention. At least as good as a club, and a nice factory option besides.

I messed around with it briefly last night and found that the door keys (I have 2 different ones) fit into the column lock but neither are the correct key for it. Down the road, I'll look into getting a new key made for it (and figure out how one can go about that), but it's not anywhere near the top of the list yet.

Clara wrote:

The cabinet door laminate is the same as early bay westy table as well IIRC.

That seems to be the consensus. There is apparently some repop laminate available for not horrible money (looks like $80-$100 shipped for a sheet), so when the doors make it to the top of the list, I'll have a few options.

Clara wrote:

I would sort it out as a driver first. Give it a bath.

100% agree. It doesn't seem to need a lot to get it road worthy so that's where I'm starting (bunch of parts for the shift rod already on order.. steering is next, then on to brakes)

And a polish is in her near future. The PO would leave the garage door open and the bats would roost in his garage and pee/poop on the bus... so a simple wash won't get rid of the marks.

Clara wrote:

The roof wood around the hatch looks pretty decent. That area is often rotted.

It looks okay, but it's seen water. A better pic of the hatch area

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clara wrote:

Nice find Very Happy

Fell into my lap... how could I say no? Very Happy
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Sounds like you have a good plan of minimal intrusion, and your past experience will help keep you within manageable boundaries. Given how solid that bus is, I bet you can make it a reliable driver fairly easily/cheaply. Even the paint looks pretty solid - try TR3 polish/cleaner on it, perhaps, when you get to that point.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 31

Jump to: