Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 63 Subhatch Flipseat
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Alright, now that I'm pretty sure getting this puppy titled will only be a hassle and not impossible here are some pics to satisfy. There will be more to follow and I'll likely add more back story when I'm not so wiped out. It's been a rough few days...

So, without further ado... my 1963 Westy Flip Seat Subhatch. (SO34, I think... please correct me if this isn't right)

This was the first pic I ever got of her. I found out later, this is a picture of a picture. Sent this to Major Woody (who I know from other venues and lives around the corner from me) who promptly told me if I didn't buy it, he'd come to my house and kick my ass.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Some shots from the seller

Loading up at dusk. Thank goodness for a headlamp

Couple of shots of it on the trailer at various stops.

Oh yeah... M Plate and Engine Bay tag

Dumb question on the engine bay tag... Type 23? What does that mean and is it related to the SOxx numbers?

That's all the cool stuff... not for the not cool stuff. The rust. More than I had hoped for, but less than I feared (some of you are crazy with how much you do!). Looks like I'll be learning to weld...

Last edited by Thompson2 on Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:09 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

The 23 in the VIN tag is model 23.
23 = Kombi
Westys were made from Kombis so that is totally normal.

Rust looks fairly normal except for the last pic of the cross-beam rust, that is a bit nastier than most Buses

It looks like maybe the center heater duct broke off the end too

M-code 056 is steering lock, pretty normal on Tourist Delivery Buses

M-code 121 is Ambulance fans, does it still have that in place?
Edit: I see it in the back to front pic, cool
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

2313 is kombi, left hand drive, cargo doors on the right.

The original color is blue white over turkis, which is a GREAT color combo.

Gonna need a lift or borrow a rotisserie for those rusted frame pieces but it really doesn’t look that bad to me.
J Flare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Very nice, congratulations!

Quote:
Sent this to Major Woody (who I know from other venues and lives around the corner from me) who promptly told me if I didn't buy it, he'd come to my house and kick my ass.

Better buy that man a beer!!
Dewayne Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Nice purchase! Congrats to you and especially Major Woody for encouraging you to go for it...

Drive 'em if ya got 'em, and don't brag if you didn't do the work yourself...

'64 SO34
'60 SO23
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Congratulations!! Flipseats are great. Looks like most everything is there. Are those rear cabinet doors still with the bus? Looking forward to more pics!
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Nice score. Seems like a typical German delivered Westy:

No port code
No Westy code
Two tone paint scheme
Steering lock

Bonus:
Ambulance fans
1500cc upgrade

Where in CA did this come out of? Did you get the tent/poles?
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Flipseats are awesome! I'm glad Major Woody showed you the light.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
2313 is kombi, left hand drive, cargo doors on the right.

Not the last of my uninformed questions, I can assure you. lol

Major Woody wrote:
The original color is blue white over turkis, which is a GREAT color combo.

Yup. Pretty stoked to see that. Noticed it first on one of the headlight buckets where it had been used as a foot rest. Is it normal for the whole body to be painted the base color and then interior and top to be painted the BW?

Major Woody wrote:
Gonna need a lift or borrow a rotisserie for those rusted frame pieces but it really doesn’t look that bad to me.

Not sure where I'd fit a rotisserie. Garage is pretty small. May end up having to hillbilly it in the driveway and weld on my back.

As for not looking too bad, here are some additional shots. The passenger side inner rocker (I think that's the right phrase) is roached down the entire length. Long side has some at the front and rear of the inner and down a large portion of the outer. the outer is pretty hard to grab a good pic of since it's mostly just showing as bubbles in the paint.

Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

J Flare wrote:
Very nice, congratulations!

Better buy that man a beer!!

Dewayne wrote:
Nice purchase! Congrats to you and especially Major Woody for encouraging you to go for it...

Z wrote:
Flipseats are awesome! I'm glad Major Woody showed you the light.

Yeah... He played a large part in me picking this up (actually pushed me off the fence). His "reward" will be a near constant stream of newbie questions, never ending request for help, long term loan of a welder and multiple tutorials on how to use it.

And yes... lots and lots of beer.

Laughing
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Whatever rust you think is there, there will be more once you start digging. Everything can be fixed with money/time and this is worthwhile project.

Missing items:

Tent/Poles
Water Bottles
Door cabinet with basin
Emka cups?
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
Congratulations!! Flipseats are great. Looks like most everything is there. Are those rear cabinet doors still with the bus? Looking forward to more pics!

Yeah, she's mostly complete. Rear doors are currently (and likely forever) MIA. Might be at the guys ex-wife's house (circa late 1970's), so odds are very slim.

I'll probably wait quite a while before looking for replacements since I figure about 10 minutes after I pull the trigger on some crazy priced, shipped from across the planet, super-cherry replacements, the OG set will show up. lol
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

The rockers are kind rusted bus parts level 1. Almost to be expected, but there are loads of threads and pics here and its a pretty good intro to bus welding. Also, the panels available today are WAY better than when I did mine many years ago.

Great bus, tho, looks like you're in good shape.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
Nice score. Seems like a typical German delivered Westy:

No port code
No Westy code
Two tone paint scheme
Steering lock

Bonus:
Ambulance fans
1500cc upgrade

Where in CA did this come out of? Did you get the tent/poles?

Steering lock is currently disconnected (not sure how effective it is if you can bypass it by unplugging it.. lol), ambulance fan is non-op at the moment (add it to the list) and I need to make sure the current motor is a 1500. Tips on how to determine that (when I have the time)?

This came out of Chester, near Lassen Nation Park. Beautiful area.

And sadly, no tent poles. And even sadder he's pretty sure he trashed them years ago....
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
Whatever rust you think is there, there will be more once you start digging. Everything can be fixed with money/time and this is worthwhile project.

Missing items:

Tent/Poles
Water Bottles
Door cabinet with basin
Emka cups?

I have no doubts that my rusty "treasure hunt" is far from over. Fortunately, I know a guy... lol

Add to the missing list:
Stove
Pendant light
Chair (hold down hole is present, pretty sure the hold down is gone too)
Table base (probably.. haven't checked the spare area for it yet), or would that not be included with this package?

I'm sure this list will also grow right along with the "to be fixed" list. Need to crawl the whole thing really carefully and make an actual list and prioritize. Otherwise it'll get overwhelming fast. I'm down to 1 or 2 panic attacks a day over the extent of the work. Laughing
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Great project and score!

You have a great foundation to start with there. I just went through all the MCodes, fun!

I just got my '62 on the road not long ago and it was in worse shape than yours appears to be!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611253

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Z wrote:
The rockers are kind rusted bus parts level 1. Almost to be expected, but there are loads of threads and pics here and its a pretty good intro to bus welding. Also, the panels available today are WAY better than when I did mine many years ago.

Great bus, tho, looks like you're in good shape.

Yeah, the rust repair threads can give me heart palpitations if I read too many of them. This bus is (thankfully) nowhere near what some of you guys have dealt with. But having never welded or done body work, it can be daunting... fortunately, this isn't a vehicle that I "need" so I can take my time and just pick stuff off the list a little at a time.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

First off, don't sweat it. Have fun with this or its not worth doing.

Second, you may want to consider just cleaning up the interior and getting the bus running/driving/stopping. Then attend a few shows/campouts and really enjoy the bus. That will get you charged up to then start tackling the rust.

I've seen many guys jump in and strip a bus completely and then lose interest.

Last edited by srfndoc on Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Great project and score!

You have a great foundation to start with there. I just went through all the MCodes, fun!

I just got my '62 on the road not long ago and it was in worse shape than yours appears to be!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611253

Yup.. I'm familiar with that one. Love your work on the cabinets. I will need to pull these to clean them up and repair some of the veneer on the shelves.
It's starting to peel up. It looks like I'll need a lot of the same repairs that you did... better go re-read that one.

I had about 2 months to ponder my purchase (and freak myself out over how bad it *could* be) before I picked it up. So I spent waaaaaay to much time on here reading through a bunch of the split threads. Loads of great info.
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
First off, don't sweat it. Have fun with this or its not worth doing.

Second, you may want to consider just cleaning up the interior and getting the bus running/driving/stopping. Then attend a few shows/campouts and really enjoy the bus. That will get you charged up to then start tackling the rust.

I've seen many guys jump in and strip a bus completely and then lose interest.

x2

It looks super solid enough to do just this. Your to do list will form and order itself as you get into it, but keep it as usable as you can, and you'll feel a lot better about all aspects of it.

Lots of folks here who will help, too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 31

Jump to: