Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 63 Subhatch Flipseat
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Yes, 3-60 is March, 1960.

No way is that original, a '63 Bus would have a speedo within a couple months of the actual production date.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
You should be able to move it with your hand but not super easily.

I've sprayed a crunchy one down with PB Blaster and worked it back and forth before to loosen it up.
I'm not sure this was the best thing to use but it worked.
It took a little while for the PB Blaster stink to go away afterward

When lubed it should be easy to move the heat from foot to defog. But should not move on its own. I like the smell of PB Blaster. Very Happy. You push it from side to side. Soak it and try again tomorrow.
Spray the BP in along the top of the part that rotates. The seam is above the part that sticks out, and below the screw in the tab on each side of the heat tube. Spray so the BP drips in between the inner and outer sleeves.

In damp weather, on start up I like it on defog. After a few minutes the windshields are clear, and I want foot heat. So being able to move that is useful.

Lube all your door hinges at every 3K service.
Squirt a few drops of oil down the speedo cable tube as well.
Generally, I find the lubrication has been neglected.

I would be all over detailing that blue white paint. Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
EverettB wrote:
You should be able to move it with your hand but not super easily.

I've sprayed a crunchy one down with PB Blaster and worked it back and forth before to loosen it up.
I'm not sure this was the best thing to use but it worked.
It took a little while for the PB Blaster stink to go away afterward

When lubed it should be easy to move the heat from foot to defog. But should not move on its own. I like the smell of PB Blaster. Very Happy. You push it from side to side. Soak it and try again tomorrow.
Spray the BP in along the top of the part that rotates. The seam is above the part that sticks out, and below the screw in the tab on each side of the heat tube. Spray so the BP drips in between the inner and outer sleeves.

In damp weather, on start up I like it on defog. After a few minutes the windshields are clear, and I want foot heat. So being able to move that is useful.

I'm a fan of eau de PB Blaster as well. Laughing Not sure how the Boss will feel about that though. I'll put a couple of drops of 30WT on it to smooth out the motion.

I'm more a fan of having one less mousey entry point at the moment. I'm quite a ways from having all these luxuries you're talking about. Heat? Ha!
Defrost? Pish-posh! Very Happy

Clara wrote:

Lube all your door hinges at every 3K service.
Squirt a few drops of oil down the speedo cable tube as well.
Generally, I find the lubrication has been neglected.

Door hinges weren't on my radar, but that's a quick one.
Speedo cable needs to be replaced. I'm pretty sure the one I've got is from a Bay. It's way too long and looks like it's just begging to get snagged on something.
Lubrication isn't the only things that's been neglected, but yes... that is high on the list of things to deal with. I really need to change the fluids in the engine and trans before I put any real mileage on it. Speedo is out and steering wheel is off at the moment, so I think I'm safe.

Clara wrote:

So when can I expect you? I did rob you of the joy of cleaning up the dash, but there's plenty left to spiff up. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Speedo and column lock removed for rework. Debating on whether to find a more age-appropriate speedo and having it restored instead.. 80mph and twin turn signal "lights" look like the main differences.

Column lock is off to Gabe to work his magic.

One question on the column lock... how would the ambulance fans have been connected to the switch? There are only 3 tabs on it and it is supposed to share terminal 30 with the main power coming from the battery. Both wires had their ends removed at some point, so I'm not sure how this is supposed to be plumbed. I forgot to grab a pic of the back of the switch, but it was pretty basic anyway. Here're what I've got on the aftermarket switch.

I'm pretty sure all of the wires were shortened when they swapped it over, so I'll have to extend them out...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
One question on the column lock... how would the ambulance fans have been connected to the switch? There are only 3 tabs on it and it is supposed to share terminal 30 with the main power coming from the battery. Both wires had their ends removed at some point, so I'm not sure how this is supposed to be plumbed. I forgot to grab a pic of the back of the switch, but it was pretty basic anyway.

Ambulance fan wiring:

Hmmm, good question when a steering lock was installed.
I don't think there is space for another wire to enter the steering lock wiring cover.
I don't know but:
I would guess they used an alternate power source, maybe off the fuse box directly or off the headlight switch? The headlight switch has a "always on" 30 terminal too. In fact power goes from the fuse box to the headlight switch to the ignition switch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Thompson2 wrote:
One question on the column lock... how would the ambulance fans have been connected to the switch? There are only 3 tabs on it and it is supposed to share terminal 30 with the main power coming from the battery. Both wires had their ends removed at some point, so I'm not sure how this is supposed to be plumbed. I forgot to grab a pic of the back of the switch, but it was pretty basic anyway.

Ambulance fan wiring:

Hmmm, good question when a steering lock was installed.
I don't think there is space for another wire to enter the steering lock wiring cover.
I don't know but:
I would guess they used an alternate power source, maybe off the fuse box directly or off the headlight switch? The headlight switch has a "always on" 30 terminal too. In fact power goes from the fuse box to the headlight switch to the ignition switch.

Based on the length of the remaining wire, I don’t think the fans were initially wired to the <edit>headlight</edit> switch but I like the idea. If I can’t find any good pics, I may go that route. I’d also like to see if they routed the fan power through the steering column bracket like i think they ran the other ignition wires.

Last edited by Thompson2 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

I think I found the answer to the fan power riddle in a container of bits and pieces that the PO cleaned out of the parcel tray.

I'm pretty sure this will slip over the terminal and give me two places to connector... well, I'm 100% sure it'll give me the two connections, but I'm only pretty sure it will fit under the plastic cover. I did a quick search but didn't find a source for replacement covers... anyone got a link?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Steering lock covers:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=594544
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:

Clara wrote:

So when can I expect you? I did rob you of the joy of cleaning up the dash, but there's plenty left to spiff up. Laughing

I would detail it ... if it were my bus. Wink
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
Thompson2 wrote:

Clara wrote:

I would detail it ... if it were my bus. Wink

I can always loan it to you for an afternoon. I’m nice like that. Laughing
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Steering lock covers:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=594544

Excellent! “Steering lock” versus “column lock” makes all the difference. Once I get my hardware back, I’ll get one of those on order.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
...but I'm only pretty sure it will fit under the plastic cover.

It won't but you could use it at the fuse block or back of light switch.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Thompson2 wrote:
...but I'm only pretty sure it will fit under the plastic cover.

It won't but you could use it at the fuse block or back of light switch.

Sounds like the voice of experience. Is that based on having just the steering lock and cover or also having the ambulance fans? I think I’ll post a separate thread to see if I can find someone with an identical setup.

If you have a cover, I’d love to get some measurements of the amount of clearance between the switch pins and the cover.... X-ray vision will likely help. Lol
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
Is that based on having just the steering lock and cover or also having the ambulance fans?

Just steering lock. Btw, the harness is merely moved from steering lock to speedo-pod and vice versa for each position and not a different harness.

Thompson2 wrote:
If you have a cover, I’d love to get some measurements of the amount of clearance between the switch pins and the cover....l

1.5 gnat's ass.

1.9 gnat's ass.

Thompson2 wrote:
.... X-ray vision will likely help. Lol

In the open without wires view.

Cover without wires X-ray end view.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Thanks Barry. Those are some very detailed pics. Looks super tight, but I think I see a way to make this work.

The only problem now is Gabe has found that the lock cylinder in mine is toast, so the cost to get it back into working order is much higher than anticipated. I need to see if i can find a replacement cylinder or I may have to put off this particular repair.

By the way, Gabe is gold! He spent quite a bit of time on the phone with me explaining what was wrong with mine and showing me what to look for in a replacement.

I don't suppose you've got a spare lying around do you? Laughing
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

My understanding is you can use some parts from a Bug steering lock too, although I don't know the exact details or years that are similar..

Gabe is the one that told me that though.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
My understanding is you can use some parts from a Bug steering lock too, although I don't know the exact details or years that are similar..

Gabe is the one that told me that though.

Yeah, I'm on the hunt. Looking at multiple options, but dang...
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Next oddity... Working on the rest of the dash wiring while I'l figuring out the ignition and speedo work and I'm stumped...

On the interior light switch on the side of the speedo pod, it all makes sense except that there seems to be an extra wire crimped into the factory wiring. There's the red wire on the bottom lug that heads off to the light, the black/violet wire on the next lug up that heads off to the wiper switch and then there's the top lug...

In the wiring diagram is looks like that black/purple wire that should head off to the fuse box (I need to verify that bit), but then there's a n extra black wire. It has a push on connector with a light socket and bulb, but that's clearly not right for a couple of reasons - first, the 6 lights in the speedo are all accounted for with the correct wire colors and second, if that black/purple wire really heads to the fuse block then that light would be on all the time (if it was properly grounded). That wire is less than 6" long, so it doesn't go anywhere too crazy... My first thought is the speedo, but I'm not sure where, especially since the speedo that was in there is a screw lug type, not spade.

Oh - and related to that... the schematic shows a black wires that heads around to the lights, but I don't see how they are supposed to be connected to the cluster....

Pic of the back of the interior light switch... please ignore the condition of the connections. I haven't gotten to those yet. Smile

Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

At some point, the DPO had a secondary power wire run from the fuse block (note the large wad of electrical tape on the red wire on bottom right side of the fuse box).

My plan is to remove this, assuming that bad connections on the tabs of the headlight switch led to starting problems. Couple of questions - is this a common modification or was this super-creative monkey business?

And second, this makes me wonder if maybe I should consider a relay in the starter circuit to reroute the load around the ignition switch? Anyone done this and have thoughts on it?
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:

And second, this makes me wonder if maybe I should consider a relay in the starter circuit to reroute the load around the ignition switch? Anyone done this and have thoughts on it?

I did this last year and I'm glad I did. My flipseat has the same steering lock as yours. You can hang it somewhere with double sided tape if you don't want to drill a tiny hole.

oakman wrote:
I bought a Wolfsburg West hard start relay. Easy to install and instantly cured my starting issue. It starts like a 12v bus now. Very Happy

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111998611

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 31

Jump to: