Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 63 Subhatch Flipseat
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
velvetgreen wrote:
those brackets under the battery look suspiciously like cot brackets that go on a and b pillars although they are usually it raw metal not painted black IIRC

Door check strap brackets.

Good thing we weren’t taking bets... we’d all lose..

They’re horrible plastic nonsense... into the bin with them...

On the upside, where they were screwed in is solid. Actually took some effort to get them out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

The seam sealer that does the best job is in a tube, like what goes in a caulk gun. Unfortunately you have to buy a whole tube, and then use only a tiny fraction of it.
Try to find some that comes in a small toothpaste size tube. The brush-on kind is not what you want there. It just makes a mess. You want a neat bead of it.
I'd look online.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
velvetgreen wrote:
those brackets under the battery look suspiciously like cot brackets that go on a and b pillars although they are usually it raw metal not painted black IIRC

Door check strap brackets.

Nope. Door check brackets have a different profile.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211841389

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Got the fuel sending unit rebuilt last night. Went pretty easily if you just follow the step-by-step (I think it was in the Bay section). I should really post a link here too. Super easy. Went from 15 ohms with the float at the top to around 4... should be all better now. Gauge never read completely full but worked otherwise.

I hadn't yet re-inspected the tank after the Ospho treatment, so this was my first peek at it... not sure it did what I wanted it to do... and did it ruin the factory coating (or was never a coating, just an optical illusion)?

It looks like (and I've not verified it yet) that there are bits of stuff in there now where it was all smooth and happy before.

Pretty sure I should rethink the strategy... factory manual says to mix the p.a. with water and fill the tank with the solution. Anyone tried that before? It's a 10:1, so I'd have to pick up a gallon on my way home tonight... Might give a more uniform treatment.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Think you needed to use more phosphoric acid than you did or needed to shake it around better. Looks like there is flash rust in the right of your image.

Filling the tank with the other stuff is for really bad rust.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Think you needed to use more phosphoric acid than you did or needed to shake it around better. Looks like there is flash rust in the right of your image.

Yeah, I didn't use a lot since there wasn't much rust to start with.

Eric&Barb wrote:

Which other stuff? The water/phosphoric acid mix? That's what's mentioned in the manual under Rust Removal (or something like that) in the fuel system section specifically for treating a rusty tank. Or are you talking about something else entirely?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:

Eric&Barb wrote:

Which other stuff? The water/phosphoric acid mix? That's what's mentioned in the manual under Rust Removal (or something like that) in the fuel system section specifically for treating a rusty tank. Or are you talking about something else entirely?

Sorry was thinking the Muratic Acid.

Pretty sure the phosphate agent, Antox Extra M, was a concentrated (maybe dry) chemical that needed to be mixed with water.

If you add normal liquid phosphoric acid with water it is very likely to rust up again.

Better to use about 1.5 to 2 cups of phosphoric acid instead to get a good coating.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Thompson2 wrote:

Eric&Barb wrote:

Sorry was thinking the Muratic Acid.

Pretty sure the phosphate agent, Antox Extra M, was a concentrated (maybe dry) chemical that needed to be mixed with water.

If you add normal liquid phosphoric acid with water it is very likely to rust up again.

Better to use about 1.5 to 2 cups of phosphoric acid instead to get a good coating.

I've got a bottle of Ospho, so that should be okay I think. I'll not skimp tonight to see if it looks better when it' all done.
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Throw a length of chain in there tonight when you shake it around with the other stuff in it. It should dislodge that crystallized stuff, whatever it is.
I have some Picklex if you want to apply that instead. Just a fog of it through the sender hole is probably sufficient. More than that will just result in a similar mess to what you have now.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

More Ospho and a bag of 200 stainless set screws that I always wondered what use I was actually going to have for...

Much better....

Oh - one note for those who haven’t been into one of these before - there are baffles on each end to keep gas from sloshing around too much as you go around corners... so if you decide to stuff a towel down the neck to soak up extra phosphoric acid, be prepared to spend some extra time fishing the damn thing out... or at least that’s what I’ve heard... Laughing

Last edited by Thompson2 on Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

That looks good. That should work fine for the rest of your lifetime.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Gas tank made it back in yesterday. Dumb question on the felt pads - WW sells them in a 10 pack, but I could only really find homes for 8 (4 underneath at the ends and 4 to keep the straps from digging into,the tank)... so where do the other 2 belong! Or are they extras for a different application?

And the engine is ready to go back in. Made sure the generator brushes were in reasonable shape and moving well in the holders, got all the tins back on properly and cleaned out some oily buildup on the fins on one of the jugs. It’ll need attention later, but should be good until I can get to it...

Question on the oil bath air filter - manual only says to clean the bottom half... is that best practice for an unknown filter or should I wash the element in the top half before it goes back in!? If so, what’s the recommendation for doing that? Gentle detergent soak or kill everything with brake cleaner?

Thanks! And she’s close...so close... to being on the road again... just in time to hibernate in the garage to avoid the rain... Laughing

And hopefully this winter or early next year, the rust repairs can start...
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
Question on the oil bath air filter...should I wash the element in the top half before it goes back in!? If so, what’s the recommendation for doing that?

Bring it over to Major Woody's place this weekend and soak/flush it using the parts washer. Then blow clean with compressed air. Douche it with light oil and reassemble.

If the oily buildup was at #3, good chance you need to renew the oil cooler seals next time you have the engine out.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

If the air cleaner element is not all coated till clogged up with gunk on the bottom, would just fill it and go. It is self cleaning. Check out the 1960-64 replacement OM for more info.

Would avoid brake cleaner, it may remove paint.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
Thompson2 wrote:
Question on the oil bath air filter...should I wash the element in the top half before it goes back in!? If so, what’s the recommendation for doing that?

Bring it over to Major Woody's place this weekend and soak/flush it using the parts washer. Then blow clean with compressed air. Douche it with light oil and reassemble.

I would have taken you up on that, but I was under the weather all weekend... I cleaned up all the sheet metal bits and did a very scientific test to see if the filter element was plugged... blew the exhaust of a shop vac through it to see if the "note" of the motor changed at all.. it didn't so I'm saying it's probably good enough for this monster of a motor. Laughing

Major Woody wrote:
If the oily buildup was at #3, good chance you need to renew the oil cooler seals next time you have the engine out.

Pretty sure it was, although the pic I took was horrible. I thought I'd captured enough of the motor to figure out which cylinder it was, but alas, I did not... It's either #3 or #2...

And next time I have the motor out, I'm planning to go through all the seals and get rid of some of the pesky drips I'm getting. Valve cover gaskets are really high on that list since both heater boxes are pretty saturated...
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
If the air cleaner element is not all coated till clogged up with gunk on the bottom, would just fill it and go. It is self cleaning. Check out the 1960-64 replacement OM for more info.

So I had seen the maintenance procedure (Bentley and the OM agree) but I’ve not found “the mark” that they refer to when refilling it with oil. I assumed it’s the step in the lower portion since there was no actual mark on the housing.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

So I had seen the maintenance procedure (Bentley and the OM agree) but I’ve not found “the mark” that they refer to when refilling it with oil. I assumed it’s the step in the lower portion since there was no actual mark on the housing.

It was painted originally
Example of a 1500cc air cleaner from the Gallery

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Thompson2 wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

It was painted originally
Example of a 1500cc air cleaner from the Gallery

Yeah... on mine, most of the black paint below the line is gone so it’s all red/orange... but it’s pretty much the edge of the step, so I think I’m good.

Thanks for the clarification... it’d been nice if they’d had a similar pic in any of the manuals... Laughing
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

I’ve been pretty fortunate. Weather has been great a few days for me to put more miles on the bus. Aside from not believing my repaired gas gauge and having to hoof it for some fuel, it’s gone pretty well.

Got her polished up and banished the bat pee stains for good. The paint job is still pretty crappy, but only if you get up close, Laughing

One functional question

There’s some weirdness shifting into 3rd. No grinding, but I have to push it up to where 3rd should be, take pressure off the shifter then push it back into the same spot and it goes in smoothly. Is there just an adjustment I’ve missed, or is there something more sinister? Gear oil change is in progress, in case that’s a suspect.... the old stuff was brown and stinky, but not glittery. Drain plug had a bit of really fine metal, but nothing too concerning...

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Sounds like a tight syncro. Hopefully with the new gear oil it will loosen up. We had to change to a 607 Almsol gear oil to get our 2nd gear to work well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 25 of 31

Jump to: