Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 63 Subhatch Flipseat
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
crofty wrote:

You also want the V channel engine compartment seal.

I’m assuming that’s the one on the rear of the compartment that has the chunk out of it in the pic?

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111813705A

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Thompson2 wrote:
crofty wrote:

I’m assuming that’s the one on the rear of the compartment that has the chunk out of it in the pic?

That's the one I found. It's in my ever expanding cart at WW. Going to wait until I have more stuff identified to replace. Already have shift rod bushings (all of them) at the house and a swing lever kit and tie rods on the way. Hopefully all of that will get installed today / tomorrow.

Speaking of WW - I'll be doing an oil change shortly as well. To minimize the time is everything is open, should I order a screen or just gaskets and figure the screen will be okay with a good cleaning? I'm assuming it hasn't been out in 10 years. I have oil change receipts, but none mention gaskets...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
crofty wrote:
Thompson2 wrote:
crofty wrote:

That's the one I found. It's in my ever expanding cart at WW. Going to wait until I have more stuff identified to replace. Already have shift rod bushings (all of them) at the house and a swing lever kit and tie rods on the way. Hopefully all of that will get installed today / tomorrow.

Speaking of WW - I'll be doing an oil change shortly as well. To minimize the time is everything is open, should I order a screen or just gaskets and figure the screen will be okay with a good cleaning? I'm assuming it hasn't been out in 10 years. I have oil change receipts, but none mention gaskets...

The screen should be fine but you can find them elsewhere cheaper. Id get the gaskets or even better just get a complete engine seal kit (Elring) and you'll have everything engine wise in that kit.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

The screen should be fine but you can find them elsewhere cheaper. Id get the gaskets or even better just get a complete engine seal kit (Elring) and you'll have everything engine wise in that kit.

Thanks! I'll poke around for a US distributor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Wouldn't that only apply at idle? At speed the vacuum the engine creates through the carb pulls the flap into the fully open position.

Exactly, but figure VW thought it helped at idle. Thus the previously noticed drop in idle RPM when weather gets warmer.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

First hurdle getting this thing ship-shape. Need to replace all of the shift rod bushings and boots.

I cut the shaft coupler apart because the head of the set screw was long since gone. Soaking it in PB Blaster for a few days and slotting the stub didn’t suffice to get it loose.

Coupler is off, but the two shafts are still firmly attached to each other. There’s not a lot to grab onto to twist and really nothing obvious to tap/pound on to slide the front half away from the back.

Any super stealth moves to get this moving?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As a side note, the steering pin replacement is going smoothly so far (knock on wood). I’ll post some pics of that later. I installed the bushings a bit differently than I had seen in other posts.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
First hurdle getting this thing ship-shape. Need to replace all of the shift rod bushings and boots.

I cut the shaft coupler apart because the head of the set screw was long since gone. Soaking it in PB Blaster for a few days and slotting the stub didn’t suffice to get it loose.

Coupler is off, but the two shafts are still firmly attached to each other. There’s not a lot to grab onto to twist and really nothing obvious to tap/pound on to slide the front half away from the back.

Any super stealth moves to get this moving?

As a side note, the steering pin replacement is going smoothly so far (knock on wood). I’ll post some pics of that later. I installed the bushings a bit differently than I had seen in other posts.

Your best bet is applying heat but its a tight space so be careful. The long shift rod is solid but the front is not so you could try vice grips on both and try to work it loose that way.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
crofty wrote:

Thanks! I'll poke around for a US distributor.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C24%2D113%2D198%2D007%2DGER

Canada, but you might find it on ebay as well.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

You could soak those ends with phosphoric acid at least over night. Would need a thin pour able kind like Ospho, not the gel type like Naval Jelly. So it will work its way via capillary action into the joint and eat out the rust that has swelled up in there causing a press fit that will need way too much force to pop loose. Would paint the joint with the acid, and then wrap a section of paper towel over the joint to be painted over that with the acid. To keep the acid from drying out and hardening like concrete, wrap tightly with Saran wrap. Take off the acid wrap to inspect and see if loose about every 6 to 12 hours depending how hot and dry your climate is. Then if not loose, reapply the acid and wrap.

Those shift linkages are hollow tubes with steel plugs just in the ends. Applying force with toothed wrenches especially offside of the end plugs can soon result in the need to buy new parts. New parts that might not be as well made as the OG ones.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

Your best bet is applying heat but its a tight space so be careful. The long shift rod is solid but the front is not so you could try vice grips on both and try to work it loose that way.

That's looking like the route I'll take. Hopefully I still have the flame proof mat I had for doing in-wall plumbing work.

I found this thread and will add to it when this is out.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=602951

There's a couple of other non-flamey things I'll try first, but I have a feeling I'll be back at this same point.

Eric&Barb - I'd try the phosphoric acid (I have multiple flavors), but I'm in a bit of a time crunch to get her back down on the ground. Why weren't you up at 11:00pm checking for new posts??? Laughing

Oh - and an etiquette question. When is it more appropriate to start a new thread (for something like this generic sort of problem) versus adding it to the existing thread? I'm sure I'll have 487,962 things like this and I'd like to keep the content in the most consumable form.

Thanks!
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

I think most of the things your going to run into have been covered. check the FAQ section or search keywords. Theres a ton of info on here.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

If a particular question comes up for you, do a search for such info. Then post in that thread that covers that question as best as possible.

If no luck with your search results, post in your present thread, and post that you did this and that for search. Likely someone will probably have either the thread in mind that you need or the other search words need to find such, and will respond back with that.

Only should post a new thread on the toughest nuts of questions or something brand new like a newly released item like a fire suppression system, or bus movie or lookie at the new VW I got. Otherwise the forums are flooded with questions like "How to tune up?", or "What oil to use?" Which have been gone over for dozens or even hundreds of pages.

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

I slotted my front shift tube and then I was able to pull them apart. I then placed a piece of brass inside the shift tube and then I closed the slot by welding it.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

mdege wrote:
I slotted my front shift tube and then I was able to pull them apart. I then placed a piece of brass inside the shift tube and then I closed the slot by welding it.

I did the same. Tried heat, tried vice grips, felt like I was about to start changing the shape of the tube, and had read about problems with poorly shaped repros. I figured I could slot it, spread it, then reweld it and have the best chance of a functional rod at the end.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:

Have you pulled up the carpet to see if the original sisal mat is still under there? Dying to know!! It's also possible that all the original plaid fabric could be under that re-cover..
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

oakman wrote:

Have you pulled up the carpet to see if the original sisal mat is still under there? Dying to know!! It's also possible that all the original plaid fabric could be under that re-cover..

Alas, there is no sisal to be found (although there may be a few fibers hiding in the dust pile in the corner).

And I'm 99.5% sure the small flap of OG material next to the fold down seat is all that remains. The seats have been redone at least twice and I think the first person was very thorough. The light green is likely the last layer. But it was done pre-1970, I'm pretty sure. So it may be age-appropriate, just not OG.

Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

I was able to get the shift rod apart without heat. These were my weapons of choice. I used the anvil to back up the rod so that I wasn't pounding against something that likely wasn't supposed to see that sort of abuse. It was actually pretty simple.

I'll be adding this method to someone else's thread, when I find a good one.

The rear coupler I got from WW didn't fit when I went to install it. There's a lip inside on end that keeps the shift rod from sliding in to the depth it needs. I'll be following up with them today. Sad

I did find that a 5/16" 8-point socket is the bee's knees for getting those set screws out. The little 8mm wrench was just slipping off. Although you have to be careful with the front rod coupler... it's apparently not as stout as the shift coupler and I think I stripped it out. Not looking forward to taking it apart again.

And as with most new tasks, I learned a few things along the way.

First, when you need to cut off the shaft coupler, two cuts on either side of the set screw will make it easy to remove since the set screw is the only thing holding it in place.

You can't do the rear shift rod bushing without pulling the transaxle, or maybe you can slide it out the front if you've got everything apart to replace the center link pin. I won't know because I had finished the link pin before I re-tackled the shift rod. The reason you can't swap it is because there are "nubs" inside the bushing that have to go into a hole in the shift rod that's about a foot back from the end (I'll have to upload the pic of the hole later)

Oh - and be careful when you separate the front and rear shift rods. You might meet a lesser known cousin of Beetle Juice... Bus Dust.

Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

And the center link pin went in pretty smoothly.

Learned a few things with this one too:

-A 6" C-clamp had plenty of space to compress the parts together, so you'll be okay if you don't have an 8".
- An alternative to the Hazet tie rod tool is an OTC 7315A. I'm sure it's available from other vendors as well. (pic below)
- If you can remove / disconnect the front shift rod, it'll make life easier. If you don't you'll have clearance issues when you try to install a puller and also when you ream the new bushings. It also makes it easier to correctly set the C-clamp to compress everything.
- You *may* be able to remove the rear shift rod while the center link is out. It'll be close, but I think it's possible.

I went a bit backwards from what I had seen and installed the lower bushing first, then pulled the top bushing in to the right height.

The new top seal is very different than the original oring. It works nicely and went in fairly easily (after a soak in boiling water).

Oh - and when I put the upper bushing in, I used a sharpie and a triangle file to mark the location of the U so I could orient it correctly (facing the front of the beam). I had problems initially with it moving/falling off and struggling to keep it aligned right. Don't use just a sharpie since it will wipe off pretty easily f your hands are greasy (which they probably will be.)

A clean room is a sign of a sick mind, right? I guess I'll be okay. Laughing

Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Looking good, man. You should have seen my face after a day of cleaning the underside of my bus when my friend let me use his lift. I looked like I had been buried in grease and dirt and had to claw my way to sunlight. I had crap coming out of my ears for a few days afterward, too.
Looking forward to seeing how that thing turns and shifts when you're all done.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Second thread... lots of pics - 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
I think most of the things your going to run into have been covered. check the FAQ section or search keywords. Theres a ton of info on here.

True... lots of info on shift bushings, swing lever install, etc. in the FAQ.

No, you cannot remove the rear shift rod with the tranny in, unless you hack (which causes more damage than its worth) You can replace the front and middle bushes with the tranny in. This helps shifting.

That intake manifold is garbage, don't drive with it like that. It is bad for your engine.
There are some differences in 1500/1600 manifolds, but they are interchangeable.

Do you have the original cab door/ cargo door panels? pics?

Do you have the booze bottle holder in the lower cupboard? pic?

Your bus is about as complete as could be expected. Generally the og plaid is missing, or is thrashed is still there.
The eight track player generally needs a new band to work. Somewhere I read they are 6 bucks and change.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 31

Jump to: