Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carpet to Hard floor DIY documentation for 2001 T4 Eurovan
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Carpet to Hard floor DIY documentation for 2001 T4 Eurovan Reply with quote

For anyone who's done a similar job, how is the plywood affixed to the floor? I'm pulling the carpet, and had intended to remove as a single unit, but the glue is just too strong, and heat is stretching the fabric. It looks like it's going to be an all day affair. Sucks.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Carpet to Hard floor DIY documentation for 2001 T4 Eurovan Reply with quote

To follow up on this, the plywood is glued with a butyl rubber like compound. I honestly don't know how anyone could pull the carpet intact, as it's glued and embedded into the plywood. My plywood is warped at the front edge and along the slider opening, so I think I'll have to screw it to the floor.

y u rune klassik?
Endopotential
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Carpet to Hard floor DIY documentation for 2001 T4 Eurovan Reply with quote

Just to add another twist on this great DIY improvement. Spent the weekend on my 2002 Weekender.

As mentioned above, the plywood is only glued on with some vicious tar glue and no screws. I wanted the new floor to sit as low down as possible, so I decided to eliminate the metal plates that serve to bolt down the additional jump seats (which I'll never use anyways). Forty minutes and 3 angle grinder cutting discs later, I had a nice flat surface on which to re-install the plywood.

This allowed me to keep the stock plastic footwell anchored directly to the nice new wood floors, without using any additional spacers or trim pieces.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

murso74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Carpet to Hard floor DIY documentation for 2001 T4 Eurovan Reply with quote

the wood on the side and the table, is that just a stick on laminate or something more fun?
Endopotential
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Carpet to Hard floor DIY documentation for 2001 T4 Eurovan Reply with quote

Definitely something more fun (or frustrating!)

I found some Karelian birch veneer and put some gloss varnish on it. Then 3M / Gorilla spray adhesive. I've been having a heck of a time not getting it to buckle and peel off with temperature changes.
nbrass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Carpet to Hard floor DIY documentation for 2001 T4 Eurovan Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
To follow up on this, the plywood is glued with a butyl rubber like compound. I honestly don't know how anyone could pull the carpet intact, as it's glued and embedded into the plywood. My plywood is warped at the front edge and along the slider opening, so I think I'll have to screw it to the floor.

What did you end up doing about the warped plywood. I have the same problem (from dog's water bowl at that spot). If you screwed it down, how exactly did you manage that?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Carpet to Hard floor DIY documentation for 2001 T4 Eurovan Reply with quote

I still haven't dealt with it. I think my plan is to use clamps to draw it down and then use either self tapping screws or drill and bolt the plywood down.

y u rune klassik?
nbrass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Carpet to Hard floor DIY documentation for 2001 T4 Eurovan Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I still haven't dealt with it. I think my plan is to use clamps to draw it down and then use either self tapping screws or drill and bolt the plywood down.

Thanks. I've been thinking the same thing. Post if you get around to it!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: