Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

D+W -> tahometer signal ? How?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pechaaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:54 am    Post subject: D+W -> tahometer signal ? How? Reply with quote

Hi, need help!
Soon I will get a speedo with tacho.
And at the moment I run 2.0L ADY engine with this generator- wich has D+W plug.

Question- is can i use this plug to get signal for my future tacho?

Thank you very much!!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: D+W -> tahometer signal ? How? Reply with quote

On gasoline engines you do not need to (and really shouldn't) use the alt. I'm not familiar with your particular engine, but you can pull the ignition signal either from the ECU or from the ignition system. It is diesel engines that use the W signal from the alt because they do not generate an ignition signal. The diesel tachs operated by the W signal are different from gas tachs in their electronics in order to turn the W-signal into a useful rpm reading.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: D+W -> tahometer signal ? How? Reply with quote

pechaaa wrote:
Hi, need help!
Soon I will get a speedo with tacho.
And at the moment I run 2.0L ADY engine with this generator- wich has D+W plug.

Question- is can i use this plug to get signal for my future tacho?

Hi.

On my Vanagon with ABA 2.0 I connected my tachometer to " 1 " inside the ignition coil. Image showing how I did that (130 kb):

https://tinyurl.com/y9kue9ts

The ignition coil shown here (1995 European market "Golf")

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/golf/go/1995-159/9/905-905010/

looks similar to my ABA ignition coil. Internet images of ignition coil part number 6N0 905 104 indicate that it might provide access to the same " 1 " connection.

If you can post images of the ADY installed in your Vanagon T3, particularly any images of the exhaust and engine mounting, I think people might benefit from seeing them.

Thanks

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
pechaaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: D+W -> tahometer signal ? How? Reply with quote

ADY using 1.6 diesel sump and motor support- easy instal.
Exhaust maniforld from 1.9 diesel
And intake from- 1.8 petrol engine?

And- I have these two connectors on my coil.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: D+W -> tahometer signal ? How? Reply with quote

thanks for those images and information.

Ok. So, the ADY coil has a different type of connections under the small cover. It is not like the ABA coil. Regardless, one of those soldered connections is " 1 " but even if you knew which one it was, soldering a new wire to it might be a poor idea, in my opinion.

As ?Waldo? suggested, there should be a wire from the engine computer (ecu) that would supply a tachometer signal but I'm almost certain that the output from that wire is not compatible with the Vanagon tachometer.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: D+W -> tahometer signal ? How? Reply with quote

Another idea. I edited one of your images to describe my idea.

Please refer to an ADY engine electrical wiring diagram to see if my idea is correct but on the 3 contact plug to the coil, wire from 1 should connect to vehicle frame (ground or "earth"), wire from 3 should be switched positive, wire from 2 might be a " 1 " signal connecting as an input to the engine computer.

With both connectors removed (dis-connected) from the coil, use a volt-ohm meter set to Ohms to measure for continuity between the male pin 2 on the coil and one of the soldered connection. If the meter shows continuity (0.00 Ohms), that might indicate that 2 is the " 1 " signal. If it is, it could be used for the Vanagon tachometer.

I hope that makes sense.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
pechaaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: D+W -> tahometer signal ? How? Reply with quote

might be like this.

I havent begin to work around speedo, but which pin i must find? Alternator?
https://www.vanagon.org/instrument-cluster-14-pin-connection-explained/
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: D+W -> tahometer signal ? How? Reply with quote

pechaaa wrote:

It's better not to use that much gasket sealer. A very light smear is just as effective, much easier to separate parts later, and doesn't run the risk of gobs of sealer coming loose inside the engine and causing disastrous things like blocking the oil pickup tube or blocking coolant passages. I've seen a head gasket issue caused by a gob of silicone getting lodged at the head gasket on an inline-4.

What's going on with your bell housing/transmission?
pechaaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: D+W -> tahometer signal ? How? Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
pechaaa wrote:

It's better not to use that much gasket sealer. A very light smear is just as effective, much easier to separate parts later, and doesn't run the risk of gobs of sealer coming loose inside the engine and causing disastrous things like blocking the oil pickup tube or blocking coolant passages. I've seen a head gasket issue caused by a gob of silicone getting lodged at the head gasket on an inline-4.

What's going on with your bell housing/transmission?

Thank you, I will pay attention to it.

I'm using diesel bellhousin/starter and adapter plate to renault gearbox.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: D+W -> tahometer signal ? How? Reply with quote

pechaaa wrote:

Cool!
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: D+W -> tahometer signal ? How? Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
pechaaa wrote:

Cool!

Agreed!

pechaaa:

What manufacture year is your Vanagon?

If you don't have a service manual with electrical diagrams for your Vanagon, this might help determine wiring to your instrument cluster:

https://docplayer.net/42857483-The-old-volks-home-...rofit.html

The Vanagon alternator D+ wire colour is blue. It should be present at the alternator and T14 connector to instrument cluster. At the alternator, that blue D+ wire should connect to D or D+ as shown in your image.

The Vanagon speedometer is mechanical only. No electricity is needed to make it work.

The images of the ignition coil look quite useful. If we assume your ADY has the same coil, it appears that I'm correct about wires 1 and 3 (GND and B+ in image you posted) but wire 2 (S+) may not be ok to use with the vanagon tach.

I'm being somewhat particular about this detail but its possible that B+ in the image you posted is actually 15 positive or what is sometimes referred to as "switched positive". i.e. you would only see positive (energized circuit) at that contact when key is turned to ignition on position. I am not certain of that though as i dont have a wiring digram for your engine.

I found a Russian web site that contains various service manuals. If you search the internet for "ady engine wiring diagram" you should be able to find it.

Please advise if my posts have too many words. Smile

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: