Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Revisiting valve noise (maybe stupid questions)
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Revisiting valve noise (maybe stupid questions) Reply with quote

A while back I posted about valve noise on a 1600AH stock engine. I replaced pistons, cylinders and installed a new set of cylinder heads. I got a couple recommendations about solid rocker shafts and types of adjusters so I did these things. I installed solid shafts, very carefully shimmed the rockers for both overall end clearance and tip location in regards to valve tips, installed new ball type (mazda) adjusters for which I machined the rocker arms in the milling machine. I made a jig to hold the arm and cut .090 off each arm and installed the adjusters with one .015 shim under the rocker pedestals. Yes, the flat on each adjuster ball is on the valve tip. I also installed a new set of factory type pushrods, the aluminum ones and finally adjusted the valves cold. I ran the engine about 5 minutes to run things in and left it to cool overnight. I adjusted the valves again in the morning to .005 for exhaust and .004 for intake. I have the same problem I had to begin with which is excessive noise on the left side only after the engine warms up. The right side sounds great but I have noticeably loud clatter on the left side and I don't know what else to do to get rid of it. It's nice and quiet for 3 or so minutes until things heat up and then the clattering noises begin. Again, the right side remains quiet. I've pulled the covers hot and clearances are, of course, opened up to as much as .008-009 on exhaust and .007-.008 on intakes. This is the same on both sides. I see no damage or dishing to any valve tips or anything else that sticks out. The engine after top end rebuilding has maybe and hour on it either running in the garage or driving around my street. The oil strainer and oil are clean and I'm using castrol 20/50 non synthetic. Any additional suggestions are most welcome.
Thanks, Mike
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Revisiting valve noise (maybe stupid questions) Reply with quote

add .040 shim,probvably also need to clearance the pushrod cup's or machine the pushrod ends to be like a
aftermarket ball type end not half a ball witch can cause interfearance with the rocker arm cup.or listen to your fuel pump for noise.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Revisiting valve noise (maybe stupid questions) Reply with quote

What temps, maybe running hot? What is oil pressure? Good thing about chromoly pushrods, start making noise when your getting hot.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: