Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stock Engine eating cam gears
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

Dropped the oil sump cover for oil change #3 after a 10 mile drive and still have aluminum glitter. It's about the same amount as after the 25 mile drive. Is it possible for a case to distort after it's warmed up?
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

10 miles, are you serious? Put that oil back in the engine, drive it for another couple hundred miles then drop the oil.

At ten miles the case has not even warmed up, distort, hardly, unless you left the fan belt off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
10 miles, are you serious? Put that oil back in the engine, drive it for another couple hundred miles then drop the oil.

At ten miles the case has not even warmed up, distort, hardly, unless you left the fan belt off.

A couple hundred? I don't have that much confidence in this engine since the previous 2 cam gears lasted just 200 & 300 miles respectively.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

You will get particles with new parts, ten mile intervals are not long enough, put that oil through a paint strainer then run the engine for fifty or so, drain it, check it, strain it, do it again, you should get less and less, only if the particle count and or size increases do you have a problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

X2 ^^^^^^
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

Filter the oil through panty-hose and put it back in.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

One of the reasons I didn't go very far with that oil is because it was just conventional oil with no zinc. I have no idea how long I'm supposed to use zinc in this engine and how "non zinc" oil will affect anything at this point, so I figured better safe then sorry. I've researched this topic and found a wide range of data stating how long the zinc is needed.
vernonc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

Dwayne, I don't know if this helps or not but I've run Valvoline Racing oil in all my cars, both VW's and others, for over 60 years and have never had a 'lubrication failure'. I don't believe you'll have any problem running the 'High Zinc' Racing oil full time. Just my 2 cents.

mort

'69 sedan, low mileage, all original.....currently being 'freshened-up' for road trips and daily driving...just not every day

Freshening-up link http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=617386
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

Pick up a zinc additive, mix it in start racking some miles on the engine.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

if you didnt flush the oil system it may be the residue from the oil munch&lunch break....I dont add zinc to mine 80000+miles. but I do occasuonaly use semi syn quaker state deffy/high millage witch they say has higher zinc content.I started doing that around 70000 miles. I also go 2 years between oil changes& valve adjustments. the oil is cleaner than my wifes honda after 3 months, and the valves are usualy spot on.I adjusted the valves 2 days ago, most were dead on, 2 were a tad snuger. I hate the #1&4 ex there so effing hard to get my fingers in to feal the pushrod turn...so they take a bit more time.and I do my adjustments warm.
there are some other additives out that claim to replace zinc.and can be run all the tyme without the side affects of zinc.I havent used any and dont know if they work or not. they dont have zinc or phpsprous in them.some sort of ester....or easter..possiably rabbit eggs.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

Just wondering how this situation turned out. Running ok now?
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

I haven't changed the oil yet from that 10 mile run. So far it has about 500 miles on it since then. I adjusted the valves last week and saw no aluminum in the valve covers, and the oil on the dipstick is still a gold color but getting darker from use I expect. It's not the silver sludge that I've had in the past at this point. My fingers are crossed but it's running real well. Out of curiosity I might drop the oil this week to ease my mind.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
I haven't changed the oil yet from that 10 mile run. So far it has about 500 miles on it since then. I adjusted the valves last week and saw no aluminum in the valve covers, and the oil on the dipstick is still a gold color but getting darker from use I expect. It's not the silver sludge that I've had in the past at this point. My fingers are crossed but it's running real well. Out of curiosity I might drop the oil this week to ease my mind.

Fabulous, it’s normal to see some crap during break in. Sounds like this times a go. Very Happy I’m betting you’ll be fine.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

Here's what the sump cover looked like. About 600 miles since last oil change. I know the pic is a bit blurry but there is aluminum glitter on the cover but nothing like I had in the past. I didn't reuse the oil because there was to much glitter in my opinion floating around in the oil.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

Looks good! Get that new oil in it and go eat some asphalt!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

Happy days are here again 😀
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

oil is cheep, why bother taking the chance the small particulate clogs the filter and opens the by pass in the filter and sends it to the bearings......oh waite, 500 miles already...too late already bypassed. sorry. gallon of oil$12~16...FILTER $2~4..... ENGINE......WORE OUT SHEWS.....
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

The sump plate looks normal to me for a engine breaking in. I remember seeing glitter for a few thousand miles and then it was gone. Engine now has 12k and runs perfect with no glitter.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Alfredo Arbe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

Hi

Fact is you tryied different cams with the same result

Frome picture it emerges

1.certain areas are more "eaten than others"

2.hence, in deteriorated area was probably subject to harder effort than other.

So what about cranckshaft gear condition?

what about replacing cranckshaft and cranckshaft gear?

Hope you can solve the issue my friend! Good luck!

Alfredo
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

Alfredo Arbe wrote:
Hi

Fact is you tryied different cams with the same result

Frome picture it emerges

1.certain areas are more "eaten than others"

2.hence, in deteriorated area was probably subject to harder effort than other.

So what about cranckshaft gear condition?

what about replacing cranckshaft and cranckshaft gear?

Hope you can solve the issue my friend! Good luck!

Alfredo

I know it's a long thread but if you go back and read it through I went thru 3 different crank gears until Zundfolge1432 was kind enough to send me a true crank gear. I guess it was just my luck to have 3 bad cranks gears in a row. This was surely a learning experience for me and I will double check other peoples work and never take anything for granted.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: