Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Old VW or Porsche 356 Tool What is it?
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeroexp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Old VW or Porsche 356 Tool What is it? Reply with quote

This tool was mixed into a lot of old VW and Porsche 356 tools. I don't know what it is and was hoping someone recognizes it. It is about 18 inches tall or long and the base is 3 inches by 3.5 inches. Any help would be appreciated.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Old VW or Porsche 356 Tool What is it? Reply with quote

Have you searched the flat parts of the tool for part number or manufacturer markings? It looks like a bearing press. Either way, that's an interesting tool.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Old VW or Porsche 356 Tool What is it? Reply with quote

I would guess a bearing, gear, hub something for use on a axle or shaft of some kind, does not look strong enough to press, then again maybe something light weight. Can not picture anything VW requiring the use of a tool like that. The way the split plate is and the devise for holding something that has a hole in for it appears a bolt goes through, no clue.

Looked through both of the Baum tool catalogs I have, there is nothing even remotely close to that listed.

My guess would be non automotive related, the previous owner bought at an auction for like most of us likes cool tools.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Old VW or Porsche 356 Tool What is it? Reply with quote

I would guess it's a front torsion bar puller, if it is a VW or 356 tool.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Old VW or Porsche 356 Tool What is it? Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:
I would guess it's a front torsion bar puller, if it is a VW or 356 tool.

Not a bad guess, since
(1) it has a long, though not strong pulling range
(2) the diameter of the big end appears to be about that of a torsion tube
(3) the moving pincer part looks to maybe have a threaded hole not unlike that which holds the torsion stack to the torsion arm.
zeroexp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Old VW or Porsche 356 Tool What is it? Reply with quote

Gary wrote:
Have you searched the flat parts of the tool for part number or manufacturer markings? It looks like a bearing press. Either way, that's an interesting tool.

Yes, we have looked pretty closely and do not see a number though it is possible that an existing number wore off.
I will look into all of the suggestions and see if I can find anything.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: