Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake Booster Vacuum Line Replacement
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Lewalski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Brake Booster Vacuum Line Replacement Reply with quote

Anyone have any insight on where to get a new hose? This is the hose that goes from the intake plenum to the check valve for the power brakes. As I understand it, it's a specialty hose.

I want to replace them on both my 87 and my 89... interestingly, the 87 hose is about 12" and the 89 is only about 2".

Thanks,
Mark
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Vacuum Line Replacement Reply with quote

It's not that special. It just needs to not collapse with vacuum in it. So, a hose with thick walls would work best. At one time, there was a braided hose that had wire wrapped into it to strengthen it. Good hydraulic or AC hose with the correct inside diameter should work.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Vacuum Line Replacement Reply with quote

Also if I recall the factory hose and coupler used a clever little slightly tapered soft rubber tube like piece that helped the joint seal well. There's one up on the brake booster end IIRC, and one at the back end as well. So don't toss that little thing if it's going to help you join whatever you find. It seemed kinda squishy and when clamped provided a nice vacuum seal between the long run of hardish plastic tube the length of the van, and the shorter run you're working on replacing.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Vacuum Line Replacement Reply with quote

I found luck using 1/2 inch "PEX" tubing. Its used in the plumbing world. I just cant remember how I coupled it to the original tube.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Vacuum Line Replacement Reply with quote

I found luck using 1/2 inch "PEX" tubing. Its used in the plumbing world. I just cant remember how I coupled it to the original tube.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Vacuum Line Replacement Reply with quote

Timely, I was just looking for this same piece.
Mark Lewalski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Vacuum Line Replacement Reply with quote

I ended up using 1/2" ID heater hose from my local FLAPS.

It works perfectly and was only $1.50 per foot.

Mark
Marshj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Vacuum Line Replacement Reply with quote

I need the entire apparatus for my 1990, does anyone have suggestions, cup I need that check valve?

What I have ends at the hardline running through the van and the plenum.

I need everything from here down, will a 1/2” Hose work to run this length without an adapter? Looking for guidance on what all is needed
Nitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Vacuum Line Replacement Reply with quote

Was thinking of replacing that line myself. Does that check valve ever go bad? Should I put a new one in while I'm at it?
Chestercopperpot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Vacuum Line Replacement Reply with quote

I had mine go bad in the mountains! Seems to be that when they fail you lose all power assist and its hard to make any engine power with a vacuum leak.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Vacuum Line Replacement Reply with quote

Yeah, that would be rough. Did you just plug it and deal with lack of brake boost, or leave it and have boost but poor engine power?
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Chestercopperpot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Vacuum Line Replacement Reply with quote

Pump stopped it to a land line phone. hope to have it figured out this weekend.
Stevekirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Vacuum Line Replacement Reply with quote

I’m testing my brake booster vac line and check valve. The CV is good, should I be able to pull a vacuum on the line from the CV location back toward the booster? I cannot get any vacuum to build up. Does that mean the vac line is bad?
Thanks
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Vacuum Line Replacement Reply with quote

It would be ambitious to pull a vacuum with the hose connected to the booster using a hand pump. You could disconnect the vacuum line at the booster and cap it and then test vacuum at the other end. It should hold vacuum. You don't mention if its a syncro with locker.
Stevekirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Vacuum Line Replacement Reply with quote

Not a syncro. 2wd Subaru 2.5
My brake pedal isn’t returning all the way so I’m beginning to investigate why.
I’ve done a complete brake rebuild.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Vacuum Line Replacement Reply with quote

You can unbolt the master cylinder and carefully pull it away from the booster and make sure the pedal is free to move with out the master. No need to run the engine. Your symptom does not sound like a vacuum related problem.
Stevekirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Vacuum Line Replacement Reply with quote

Trying to rule out some things before I look at the servo.
Any thoughts?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Vacuum Line Replacement Reply with quote

Reread my above post. I don't think the problem is vacuum related. The booster uses vacuum to apply the brakes not release the brakes. The brake pedal could be jamming at the pivot, the master could be sticking, or the booster may be rusted internally or all 3.

The nuts that hold the master come off in a couple minutes. It takes longer to remove the cluster. The metal hardlines have enough give that you can move the master away enough that you can work the pedal and look in the booster with a flashlight.
Stevekirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Vacuum Line Replacement Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise I will check the things yiu mentioned
Stevekirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Booster Vacuum Line Replacement Reply with quote

I removed the brake master cylinder and depressed the brake pedal. It pressed in easy and returned all except about an inch (which was my problem that I’m looking to fix). Inside the servo was slight rust color but didn’t look to bad for what I could see. Put it all back together then did the servo test from Haynes manual. It passed the test I believe. My thought is that the pedal pin is sticking. Going to get a long spray tube and lube with PB blaster to see if I can free up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: