Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

RHD dual master cylinder.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
balljoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: RHD dual master cylinder. Reply with quote

Need some help finding a 67 onward Rhd dual circuit master cylinder.

Only place in the US I have come across one so far is cip1 which says their German quality is a brand called vewib for $184 But I'm not sure of the quality of this part and for that kind of money I'd rather get an ate/fte.

I've even thought about using Lhd Ate and bend the lines to suit as I am replacing all the hard lines anyway but im not sure if I will have enough clearance from the tunnel??....what do you guys think?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: RHD dual master cylinder. Reply with quote

Here are a couple of options:
https://www.vwheritage.com/114611015bcr-brake-mast...e-vw-spare
https://www.vwheritage.com/114611015bc-brake-maste...e-vw-spare
Sorry, finding a RHD master cylinder (MC) in the US is difficult. VW Heritage is a well established retailer and does ship to the US.

Here is a pic of a RHD master cylinder from my old Beetle.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you WERE to replace with a LHD model... while you might be able to fit the brake lines they would have harsh bends and you would never be able to remove them w/o removing the MC.
Worse, the brake switch switches would not fit as they would contact the center tunnel. I suppose you could try to add an angled adapter between the MC and the switches to angle them away from the tunnel. But that is one (two?) more places to spring a leak.

Note: the replacement RHD MC typically come with just a single brake switch as pictured. The spot for the second switch is a blank in the casting. I'm really not sure why every replacement RHD MC I've ever seen is a single switch-only unit??
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: RHD dual master cylinder. Reply with quote

Call Cipi1. I did, and Chris (I think that was his name) was very helpful. He went out to the warehouse to look for an item’s origin for me. Great service. I’m sure he could tell you more about the RHD master cylinder they offer.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: RHD dual master cylinder. Reply with quote

I purchased mine from Heritage VW in the UK. They give free shipping over AUD250 to the ex-penal colonies down under, but not unfortunately to the US. (mumble...mumble, something about 1776).

There are a few that you can get from them but you need to check the shipping cost to you. It's only a small item so it might be OK.

Cheapest works out at about USD60 which I guess is Chinese or USD170 for the UK made one. I actually bought an ATE from them but they don't seem to offer them in RHD at the moment.

Go here, but remember to turn off the VAT togglle at the top of the page (tax exempt if it is leaving the UK to US). Edit: Just noticed that the link on a phone does not have the VAT toggle. I was on a computer and it appears different. Wink

https://www.vwheritage.com/beetle/beetle-brakes/brake-hydraulic-system-wheel-cylinders

Vewib stuff is very good. They are not manufacturers themselves afaik, but source OEM quality usually German equipment.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: RHD dual master cylinder. Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
I purchased mine from Heritage VW in the UK. They give free shipping over AUD250 to the ex-penal colonies down under, but not unfortunately to the US. (mumble...mumble, something about 1776).

Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: RHD dual master cylinder. Reply with quote

balljoint wrote:
Need some help finding a 67 onward Rhd dual circuit master cylinder.

Only place in the US I have come across one so far is cip1 which says their German quality is a brand called vewib for $184 But I'm not sure of the quality of this part and for that kind of money I'd rather get an ate/fte.

I've even thought about using Lhd Ate and bend the lines to suit as I am replacing all the hard lines anyway but im not sure if I will have enough clearance from the tunnel??....what do you guys think?

I may have one for sale. Bought one (114611015BC) I was told was for a Super, but it was not. Where are you located?
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
balljoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: RHD dual master cylinder. Reply with quote

Thanks guys.
The Lhd cylinder is definitely out of the equation as even the front line will be impossible to fit given that the cylinder is designed the same way and protrudes out the same amount just on the other side.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And yes...the one from vw heritage is not Ate and for the price and shipping I might as well get the Vewib from cip1.
balljoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: RHD dual master cylinder. Reply with quote

Anyone ever bought from Machine7 in the UK?
I see they have Ate/Fte.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: RHD dual master cylinder. Reply with quote

Why don't you rebuild your MC? That's what I did.
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
balljoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: RHD dual master cylinder. Reply with quote

Is that an option??..
I never heard anyone mentioned that before. Everyone just seems to get a new cylinder. Shocked
Are there 19mm kits available specifically for the beetle?
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: RHD dual master cylinder. Reply with quote

Contact this company, I've had them resleeve and rebuild cylinders. I bet they'd do it for $120ish and it would last forever
http://brakeandequipment.com/machine-shop/
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: RHD dual master cylinder. Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/itm/W-German-FAG-RK19544-VW-O...1165334990

This is for a 71-on dual master cylinder for drum brakes.

111698183A is 67-70 Disc and Drum, and 70-on disc brake set up.

Both are 19.05mm cylinder size.
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: RHD dual master cylinder. Reply with quote

From recollection there is a difference between disc brake and drum brake master cylinders. I think there are differences in the orifice sizes to allow for the different brake setups. Edit: drum brakes require residual valves.

Euro models including those in Australia went to discs at the front in 68 whereas I think the US kept drums for some time after this.

You need to be careful therefore in which MC you buy. Does your 67 have drums or discs?
veedweeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: RHD dual master cylinder. Reply with quote

balljoint wrote:
Anyone ever bought from Machine7 in the UK?
I see they have Ate/Fte.

I don't know if they ship to the US, but here in the UK, Machine 7 have a reputation for good service and extremely fast delivery.
andy198712
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: RHD dual master cylinder. Reply with quote

VWheritage and limebug are the two i use most

but also used machine 7 and coolair, both are as good an any other Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: