Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do you identify 16" split beetle wheels?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: How do you identify 16" split beetle wheels? Reply with quote

I need some help from the experts. I know that there are some 16" wheels out there that look like split beetle wheels but are really from an Opel or other German car. I know if you see the VW stamp, it is VW. However sometimes you see the brand names, and the date stamp like in these pics? But are these still split beetle wheels? help!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thebubblehead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you identify 16" split beetle wheels? Reply with quote

Its vw👌
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you identify 16" split beetle wheels? Reply with quote

They look like they came from a Sand Colored split.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
Porsche904
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you identify 16" split beetle wheels? Reply with quote

...the Opel ones I’ve seen all had “OPEL” on it, you could also try to fit a VW wheel cap on them...wont fit
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you identify 16" split beetle wheels? Reply with quote

Porsche904 wrote:
...the Opel ones I’ve seen all had “OPEL” on it, you could also try to fit a VW wheel cap on them...wont fit

... i'm no expert, but I once was looking at this 1951 Opel Olympia in Tulsa - it had two 16s and 2, 15 inch wheels. It also had ribbed Semaphores - the wheels and semaphores looked exactly like VW...

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: How do you identify 16" split beetle wheels? Reply with quote

That is why I asked the questions. I had two 16" wheels once that I was told were Opel and after inspection would the Opel stamping on them. Dang! I was taken but maybe by accident but they doid look exactly the same to me??

Ok, I was pretty convinced these were the real deal. Thanks for the info.
So buses were wider? and Porsche were wider right? what about the older KDF cars?? same size??
Lars B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: How do you identify 16" split beetle wheels? Reply with quote

Hubcaps will not fit Opel 16"

Opel Wheels

I swapped the center on a pair of Opel Wheels.

"New" 16" wheel on the left

They are Kronprinz Wheels for Opel 07-49

3,25" Wide I will add another inch or two on the outside, think you call it banding in UK.

I have also found unmarked wide five wheels, with "opel" hubcap dia.
But i only pay 5-10£ for them, if im not 100% shure they are vw
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: How do you identify 16" split beetle wheels? Reply with quote

Related: Does anyone know when the "VW" stamp was first added to wheels?
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you identify 16" split beetle wheels? Reply with quote

vintage fiberglass wrote:
That is why I asked the questions. I had two 16" wheels once that I was told were Opel and after inspection would the Opel stamping on them. Dang! I was taken but maybe by accident but they doid look exactly the same to me??

So buses were wider? and Porsche were wider right? what about the older KDF cars?? same size??

i once bought a 6/52 bug that came with 5, 1954 Porsche wheels... the car cost me $2K in 1995... the Porsche wheels were slotted and were 3.25 inches wide. It also came with 4 bug 16s, which I put on the car.
Sold those Porsche 16s in 2010 for $2750... not stock, but a much more interesting wheel.
Once painted, how would anyone know the Opel wheels were not VW, other than you? They look exactly the same.
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lars B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: How do you identify 16" split beetle wheels? Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:

i once bought a 6/52 bug that came with 5, 1954 Porsche wheels... the car cost me $2K in 1995... the Porsche wheels were slotted and were 3.25 inches wide. It also came with 4 bug 16s, which I put on the car.
Sold those Porsche 16s in 2010 for $2750... not stock, but a much more interesting wheel.
Once painted, how would anyone know the Opel wheels were not VW, other than you? They look exactly the same.

Except you cant use VW Hubcaps.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: How do you identify 16" split beetle wheels? Reply with quote

Lars B wrote:
ZENVWDRIVER wrote:

... I never tried to put any hub caps on the Opel wheels, but the ones on the Olympia I saw looked exactly like VW wheels, clips and all - couldda' actually been VW wheels, for all I know - I looked no further and just formed an opinion, that they were the same.
Weird thing was this '51 Opel had 2, 15s and 2, 16s and originally that year stock Olympia had fifteens. So, probably had VW wheels on it... is why they appeared to be the same to me - that's funny... guess I was wrong - oh well.
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Lars B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: How do you identify 16" split beetle wheels? Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
Lars B wrote:
ZENVWDRIVER wrote:

... I never tried to put any hub caps on the Opel wheels, but the ones on the Olympia I saw looked exactly like VW wheels, clips and all - couldda' actually been VW wheels, for all I know - I looked no further and just formed an opinion, that they were the same.
Weird thing was this '51 Opel had 2, 15s and 2, 16s and originally that year stock Olympia had fifteens. So, probably had VW wheels on it... is why they appeared to be the same to me - that's funny... guess I was wrong - oh well.

Your not the first and probably not the last one.
been there done that.

This is a VW hub cap on an Opel 16"

Last edited by Lars B on Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you identify 16" split beetle wheels? Reply with quote

interesting - thanks for the picture - is worth a thousand words.
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you identify 16" split beetle wheels? Reply with quote

Quote:

They look the same but when you look at the holes for wheel bolts, you notice that they are different. The same for Tempo Matador wheels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: How do you identify 16" split beetle wheels? Reply with quote

In addition, in the pic above it looks like the hubcap does not fit properly?
Porsche904
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: How do you identify 16" split beetle wheels? Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
In addition, in the pic above it looks like the hubcap does not fit properly?

right, center circle is slightly smaller, thats why....and once again, the Opel rims are marked with an Opel sign
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: