Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Split Case Transmission not fitting correctly?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
McFunzeepants
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Split Case Transmission not fitting correctly? Reply with quote

I had my Split case transmission in my '59 Ghia rebuilt due to oil leaks and when I tried to reinstall it, the rear transmission mounts would not line up exactly to the transmission bell housing.
It appears the transmission is ~1/4" too far rearward, and should be forward ~1/4".
I was able to bolt it up by using the two horn bolts, but it really distorted the two rear mounts.
The transmission re-builder has a great reputation, and he cleaned and reused the same exact nose cone...same exact split case.
New German front and rear mounts were used, and there is no difference in thickness or orientation when comparing the new mounts with the old.

Does this look right or am I missing something?? Should there be a washer between the transmission carrier and the horns??
Thanks for any and all responses!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Split Case Transmission not fitting correctly? Reply with quote

post pics of the front mount set up, problem could be there?
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
McFunzeepants
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Split Case Transmission not fitting correctly? Reply with quote

Here are some photos of the front mount and shift linkage.
The transaxle has no oil in it, but I can definitely shift into reverse, 1, 2 and 3rd gear. 4th seems a little difficult.

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Split Case Transmission not fitting correctly? Reply with quote

Isn't that a tunnel trans nose cone?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
McFunzeepants
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Case Transmission not fitting correctly? Reply with quote

It's has ' 113-301-211' without a letter. A quick search indicated it's for a '59 split case. Which is correct. Bummer though, would have loved it to be that problem.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Case Transmission not fitting correctly? Reply with quote

McFunzeepants wrote:

is that gap supposed to be there in front of the mount on the pan? Looks like it is opened up and pushing the mount towards the rear?
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
McFunzeepants
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Case Transmission not fitting correctly? Reply with quote

I took another look and that space between the pan and the piece that the front mount bolts to appears stock...and this same transaxle did fit before.

Maybe I should change the front mount to the old one, even though they measure the same...kinda like 'turn it off and turn it back on again' logic:)?

But agreed, it does seem that the transaxle is positioned more rearward then it should- right? Am I making a problem where there isn't one?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Split Case Transmission not fitting correctly? Reply with quote

McFunzeepants wrote:
Here are some photos of the front mount and shift linkage.
The transaxle has no oil in it, but I can definitely shift into reverse, 1, 2 and 3rd gear. 4th seems a little difficult.

You need to remove those safety wires, and install new ones that are oriented so the wire is tightening each bolt head. The way you have them now will allow the bolts to at least loosen slightly and then wear the holes in the shift rods BIGGER, so thusly looser.

Did you install all the transaxle mounts loosely to begin with, as in ALL fasteners not tightened down? Then tightened the front mount fasteners first, and then and only then the rear mounts fasteners?

Is that a crack on the right side (left of image) of the front mount bracket??

Think you are going to have to wait to place the body on with just a few bolts to secure it to the pan. Then install the engine without the engine to body seal. That way you can see if the engine tin is closer to the rear than the sides, and go from there.

There are just too many factors in all the photos to get a cut and dry answer. Heck we have panels on our SO-34 Westie that do not line up correctly, but show no signs of being repaired/replaced since it left the Hanover factory. Could be someone did not get all the parts correctly in the jig fixture just right and a few mm off here and there can add up.
McFunzeepants
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Case Transmission not fitting correctly? Reply with quote

Thanks Eric and Barb-upon reassembly I'll re-route the safety wires as you suggested on the shift coupler. Thanks for that catch.
Yes when I installed the transmission I loosely fitted the front and back trans mounts, put on all the hardware and slowly snugged up the trans mounts starting with the front mount. Making sure everything seated slowly and squarely.
Here are some more pictures of the same pan after it's been media blasted and primed. top and bottom views

a view through the mount focusing on what looked like a crack, but is actually a welded seam.

Some of the rear horns- could the giant captured nut been welded in too deep, creating the ~1/4"that I'm short?

You can see the distortion on the old rear trans mounts as well

My next step maybe to get accurate measurements of the pan to determine if its off or not.
Any other Ideas?
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Case Transmission not fitting correctly? Reply with quote

I may well be mistaken, but I thought I read somewhere on here not too long ago about the cradle mounts are not symmetrical. Perhaps you need to rotate them 180 degrees and see if that helps?

*EDIT* - Found it....see thread below, post from Burlyhammer near the middle of the page regarding orientation of his mounts.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9156727&highlight=mount#9156727
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Split Case Transmission not fitting correctly? Reply with quote

Any update??
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: