Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What will happen if I put Berrymans B12 Chemtool in my fuel tank
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: What will happen if I put Berrymans B12 Chemtool in my fuel tank Reply with quote

You're right, continue using whatever snake oil or witch's brew of your choice, I'll just continue dropping subframes, yanking oil pans, & replacing pick up tubes. Oh look, there's one now.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: What will happen if I put Berrymans B12 Chemtool in my fuel tank Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Immediate draining of the oil only gets rid of the particulate that is still in suspension (heavier particulate will settle much faster.) & it doesn't clear the screens or passages of particulate that has already been displaced & it doesn't do anything about the buildup that has been loosened that will be dislodged after the oil dump.

The product does exactly as it is designed, but it doesn't account for where all the byproduct ends up.

I have replace hundreds of oil pump pickup screens due to blockage, usually within 100 miles of a customer's visit to a chain lube shops upsell of their oil flush.

I’ve seen aircooled VW engines ruined because of engine oil flush and have firsthand knowledge having ruined one myself. A properly maintained engine would seldom require a flush if you use name brand oil and change it on schedule. A better approach might be taking rockers and pushrods apart for thorough cleaning, a series of oil changes will be a more gentle way to clean ...An oldtimer taught me a trick for newer stuff using hydraulic lifters that are noisy. Use a small amount of automatic transmission fluid mixed with engine oil as a cleaner followed by refill of fresh oil and filter, I’ve seen it quiet things down. In the end there really is no substitute for not letting engine get gummy in the first place .......😀
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: What will happen if I put Berrymans B12 Chemtool in my fuel tank Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
Immediate draining of the oil only gets rid of the particulate that is still in suspension (heavier particulate will settle much faster.) & it doesn't clear the screens or passages of particulate that has already been displaced & it doesn't do anything about the buildup that has been loosened that will be dislodged after the oil dump.

The product does exactly as it is designed, but it doesn't account for where all the byproduct ends up.

I have replace hundreds of oil pump pickup screens due to blockage, usually within 100 miles of a customer's visit to a chain lube shops upsell of their oil flush.

I’ve seen aircooled VW engines ruined because of engine oil flush and have firsthand knowledge having ruined one myself. A properly maintained engine would seldom require a flush if you use name brand oil and change it on schedule. A better approach might be taking rockers and pushrods apart for thorough cleaning, a series of oil changes will be a more gentle way to clean ...An oldtimer taught me a trick for newer stuff using hydraulic lifters that are noisy. Use a small amount of automatic transmission fluid mixed with engine oil as a cleaner followed by refill of fresh oil and filter, I’ve seen it quiet things down. In the end there really is no substitute for not letting engine get gummy in the first place .......😀

I’ve never used any additives in my cars. I agree with this post.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What will happen if I put Berrymans B12 Chemtool in my fuel tank Reply with quote

Isn't Buryman's an embalming fluid? Shocked

Bug Out!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: What will happen if I put Berrymans B12 Chemtool in my fuel tank Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Could not agree more with your statement! I had a valve cover leak on my new-to-me 230k mile Ranger last year, and could hardly believe the coked up deposits I found with the valve covers off. My understanding is coked oil and sludge comes from using a cheap conventional oil and/or extended oil change intervals. However it gets there.. you definitely don't want those chunks to start breaking off and circulating. The filter is after the pump.. for those of us using filters, that is.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What will happen if I put Berrymans B12 Chemtool in my fuel tank Reply with quote

Gasoline goes in the gas tank. Nothing else.

Oil goes in the crankcase. Nothing else.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What will happen if I put Berrymans B12 Chemtool in my fuel tank Reply with quote

Disagree, there are certain instances and conditions which warrant a chemical intervention. There is a sticky which covers this very topic and goes into much more detail.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What will happen if I put Berrymans B12 Chemtool in my fuel tank Reply with quote

Your thread reminded me of advice I got over 30 years ago. I had a carb-swapped '74 bus that seemed to always suck crap (this was only 10 years old at the time). But a neighborhood gas station mechanic poured a little of what sounds like this B12 product into my full tank of gas- and told me to drive it empty. I drove 240 miles round trip to a neighboring vacation town. Whatever magic and smoke was in there helped. The bus ran well and didn't cough at all once back at home. It ran great until the next Weber Progressive nightmare.

I think part of the good news lied in not having it stored in the tank- rather used up in a constant burn. ? I wonder what happens to it in an occasional-use tank.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: What will happen if I put Berrymans B12 Chemtool in my fuel tank Reply with quote

Ive used lots of the berrymans.it's good stuff, never had any issues with it. I wont use seafoam.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What will happen if I put Berrymans B12 Chemtool in my fuel tank Reply with quote

So what’s that mean? Last summer we got two vehicles from the estate of deceased relative. Neither had been driven much in last three years. Both needed fresh oil, batteries and even tires to be roadworthy, both ran rough and sluggish.

I thought fresh fuel and Seafoam might help and the Seafoam was on sale anyway. By the second tank of fuel and cleaner both cars ran better, much better in fact. So who can say? All I know is something positive happened and that’s really what matters. I’ve also seen BG brand cleaner which is harder to find retail and is applied direct injection to help clean dirty upper engine induction systems.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What will happen if I put Berrymans B12 Chemtool in my fuel tank Reply with quote

My 09 Pontiac was burning a little oil on long (coast to coast) trips.
This vehicle/engine to date has less than 82K on it and seldom gets driven.
I read up on SeaFoam and gave it a shot. The oil consumption ceased.
Whatever magic snake oil it is. SeaFoam worked for my situation.

Now, will I try it in one of my ACVW engines? Not likely. They are a little less mysterious than a 6.0L GM SBV8.

EDIT: I do place an once of MMO in the gas tank occasionally. Does it make a difference? IDK! I figure it can't hurt keeping the carbs from corroding in the bowels. JMO.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What will happen if I put Berrymans B12 Chemtool in my fuel tank Reply with quote

I have been using Seafoam with success. I put the recommended ratio in the gas tank of my small engines and run them to operating temperature for a while at the end of the season to prepare them for winter, and have done that with my VWs as well because they don't get used in the winter. It's a gas preserver in that application.

As a cleaner, have used it in a Vanagon engine that sat for a decade. I had replaced the whole fuel system, tank, hoses, injectors etc. So all that was clean. Driving it around It was smoking burning oil like it had bad rings and the hydraulic lifters were not pumping up. The next tank I put Seafoam in the gas tank to get at the top of the combustion chamber and rings and some in the crankcase to get at the bottom of the rings, as well as inside the hydraulic lifters and whatever else is in there. By the time I had used up that tank of gas the engine was no longer smoking at all and the hydraulic lifters were pumping up. I had changed the oil a couple times but this change got alot of dirt out. I'm changing the oil every week or two with this one if I'm using ithe van as I'm just getting to know it. I wouldn't have believed it if I had not experienced it but it did seem to clean out the deposits from my piston rings and hydraulic lifters.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What will happen if I put Berrymans B12 Chemtool in my fuel tank Reply with quote

Just for the record I like Berryman’s too. About 30 years ago they made a badass carburetor cleaner that would clean dirtiest old carbs spotless in about 15 minutes. Had a very distinctive smell probably shortened my life by a few years using it Very Happy
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What will happen if I put Berrymans B12 Chemtool in my fuel tank Reply with quote

Chased a random misfire code in my daughter's CRV for years. Tried everything. Eventually, because I keep B12 around for cleaning parts, I went ahead and dumped some in the tank. Did it for a couple tanks. Cleaned the injectors and fixed the problem the random misfire. I used it on my '78 with FI after I sucked the shellac out of the tank. Ran fresh fuel with a high dose of B12 through the system, sucked that out, and refilled with fresh can and an appropriate mix. I can just reach in , hit the key, and my Beetle is running instantly. Never believed in mechanic-in-a-can snake oil BS, but I changed my tune with this.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: What will happen if I put Berrymans B12 Chemtool in my fuel tank Reply with quote

I used to use Techron in my motorcycle's gas tanks on occasion, as in about twice a year. In between I used MMO every other tankful, so it wouldn't build up.

I use a little MMO in my Bug's gas, as well, again, every other tankful. IME, all engines have run a little smoother with it.

I never put additives in my oil.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: