Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New 79 Vert bought today
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

So I've had the itch for another convertible (sold my 71 Super Vert several years ago and regretted ever since) and after looking at a lot and a ton of calls and pictures, I bought one today.

-1979 Super Convertible
-OG paint Florida Blue
-Full set + spare of 1972 Baja Champion SE wheels (only 1000 made by VW)
-Has the rebuilt 1972 motor from that same Baja special edition

The couple have owned the car for 30 years. Bought it in Oklahoma in the late 89s and was her daily driver. They lived in Oregon with it for 12 years and now in Florida with it for 10.

-Full pans were replaced 10 years ago and done well. Will clean up beautifully. --Vert rail supports are beautiful.
-frame head is beautiful.
-inner fenders all around beautiful
-Door jams, seals, A and B pillars pristine
-heat channels beautiful
-package shelf beautiful
-body and pan numbers match
-original interior great, only needs new pads in front seat backs
-white canvas top replaced 10 years ago. Perfect, just needs some cleaning
-headliner great, just some cleaning
-all window and top seal pristine. Seals great no air or water leaks.
-defogging fan works, rear window defrost works, VDO dash clock works
-STILL HAS THE FLORIDA BLUE color code decal under the hood.
-everything in the trunk is pristine. Including manual.

The paint is rough, but it's ORIGINAL. it's only original once. My goal is to make this a preservation not a restoration. I'll try to recondition the paint and tastefully deal with surface rust and touch ups minimalisticslly.

I also asked them to document their 30 year history with the car and I'd like to get copies of pictures with it through the years and make a scrapbook. The car and story deserve to be preserved.

The husband had the 72 Baja a long time too. Had its motor built then decided to switch them And the wheels before he sold it. Then the guy totaled the Baja a week later. I'd rather have a carb than fuel injection anyway.

In any event, here it is.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

Wow
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

Man, thats a nice Bug! Good job!

I have an itching for a convrtible project. Been trying to get the wife on board.

Love that Marina Blue on that Bug! Never seen one in that color.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

Official color is Florida Blue.

I named it Betty after the lady I bought it from who has had it the last 30 years. Seems fitting.
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

I'm not very partial to the 'verts, but that is a clean Vert! Very Happy

Good call to buy that one, Tom!
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

Funny thing is I've never been partial to Supers. And of them I only really liked the 71/72 Supers.

But when you find a really good car at a good price, AND it's local (1 hour away), sometimes you just gotta do it even if it isn't exactly what you set out for originally. And the history and story is cool.

It was also a 12/79 car. So one of the last to be imported to the US. One of the last 600 from what I can tell.

The time to buy something is when you see it. It was posted here on the Samba a few days ago. I took the day off work as soon as possible.

The guy sold me the super bug bar for $75. I was going to rent a tow dolly. Good deal on that too.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

HippyTom wrote:

I named it Betty after the lady I bought it from who has had it the last 30 years. Seems fitting.

Yeah it's brighter than marina blue if I trust the picture. But - is that a vw color??? Never heard of it.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
boundstaffpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

What a beautiful bug. Like you, I had not pursued Super Beetles, but when the price is right, and you find a car that has been taken care of, suddenly they are more attractive. Enjoy the wind in your hair.

Building a 73 Super Beetle with my kids.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
HippyTom wrote:

Yeah it's brighter than marina blue if I trust the picture. But - is that a vw color??? Never heard of it.

Yep. 1979 only A5A Florida Blue.

The OG paint is severely faded, so that may affect the picture here.
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

boundstaffpress wrote:
What a beautiful bug. Like you, I had not pursued Super Beetles, but when the price is right, and you find a car that has been taken care of, suddenly they are more attractive. Enjoy the wind in your hair.

That "wind in my hair" ship sailed a looooong time ago...unless my beard counts!!! It's fairly long. The rest...mostly gone and rest buzzed to near nothing.

But The dog can let her tongue and jaws flop in the wind!!! She loves going on Doodle Bug rides.

My 16 year old daughter has fallen in love with it. I've gotta rebuild the carb then start teaching her how to drive it.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

Heads up! My oldest daughter was going to get a restored 70 Bug, but she decided it was not for her. Something about it being more unsafe in an accident than a newer car.

Well, she has crashed two cars in two years. First one was a total loss. 2nd one has 2500.00 in damages. Both have been Jeep Liberty. I have felt a sigh of relief that she has been in those two jeeps, instead of a Bug.

Not saying your path will be similiar, just that new cars have way better systems to help avoid and then also protect the occupants from serious injuries. Although Bugs are fairly stout!

I like knowing she is in a well equipped car, with antilock brakes and airbags!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
garyloos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

Congrats on your find. Very nice vert.

1972 Super Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

You're gonna love it. I also have a 78, still FI. You'd like the FI if you'd give it a try. Anyway, I also have a 74SB and I enjoy driving the 78 so much more. The foam seats are way more comfortable, and comparing the steering on the 74 to the 78, the 74 steers like a truck compared to the R&P of the 78. I know may don't like Supers, but I wonder how many of them actually drove the 78-79 versions.
boundstaffpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

HippyTom wrote:

That "wind in my hair" ship sailed a looooong time ago...

My 16 year old daughter has fallen in love with it. I've gotta rebuild the carb then start teaching her how to drive it.

I have the same problem with missing and/or buzzed hair. Also a 15 yr old daughter. The two may be related. Very Happy

Building a 73 Super Beetle with my kids.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

So Being a 12/79 car and the last Karmann vert Bug was built on January 10, 1980, I did some research on production numbers. Just out of curiosity.

1979 = 43,633 were built. There were 1001 built in 79 after mine.

1980 = 70

So there were a total of 1071 Karmann Verts manufactured after mine.

Man, I'd love to find one of those 1980s. The last one is in the VW museum.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

Nice score! Remove the center caps on the Marathons before someone else does. Confused While VW might have called that Florida blue, that is most definitely Carolina blue. Laughing

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

I was born and raised in Hickory NC. It's definitely Tarheel blue. I just wonder what the German translation of tarheel would be. It probably sounded like a sneeze and they thought Florida sounded better.

Reading about those wheels last night, you're right. The center caps alone are worth more than the wheels and tires. Crazy.
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

So I drove the car to work Thurs and Fri and it wasn't running right. Hardly idling, not accelerating like it should, etc. But work had been crazy.

So this morning I got time to tinker a tad. It's got a dual vacuum distributor with pertronix electronic ignition. I suspected a distributor advance and/or carb issue.

So I capped off the retard vacuum port at the carb, then went through the carb adjustment process. Ran 100% better immediately. It still isn't advancing like it should, but not bad. Idles great.

So the carb had been richened up to an extreme trying to get it to idle. Capped off the retard port and it idled great!!! Dialed the volume screw to a mid point and adjusted the mixture screw (34Pict3). Went back and forth and got it dialed in pretty good. Then piled the family in it to go to a cookout. Ran way better.

Some firewall insulation was folding down, fixed that. And the belt was way too loose, so took out 4 shims and got it perfect.

I need to replace the struts and shocks all the way around. And a list of other little goodies to address. Mostly minor clean up stuff.

But I'm really liking being back in a Vert. Might go pick up a 70 Vert this week. We'll see. I think I can get it through the front doors and into my living room. Smile
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

So I had struck a price deal on the 70 Vert 2.5 hours from me and went to see it/get it yesterday. It had a 66 case single port motor in it that ran super strong!!!

But I guess my definition of "new canvas top, no rust, perfect pans" is different than others. The top was old vinyl and had issues/holes. The pans were slathered in tons of something (roofing sealer maybe) trying to cover up the bad patch work and holes. The heater channel cap and inner corner on rear passenger side inner fender well had holes in it. And the lower heater channel rail along the passenger inner fender well was rusted off, but someone had cut some thin metal and used that caulk or whatever to try to hide it and slathered more goop on it. Then covered everything with so much undercoat it was crazy. I peeled a loos piece back and took some pics. Bad.

So, No deal. I walked away from it. The man was very nice and likely didn't know these issues. He discussed adjusting the price, but my concern was if the person who did this work did other stuff the same way, what else would I find?

There was also bad filler work painted over on the car. Some other things too, but there was enough there that I wasn't willing to tackle unless the price would come down A LOT.

He had sent me pictures, but some of this just wasn't apparent in the pictures due to the amount of undercoating/slather stuff. But I'm glad I went to see it. I hope whoever buys it knows what to look for and negotiates the price down accordingly.

Now I just need to focus on my 79!!!!!!!!!!!!
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

The PO had 2 fuel filters in the engine compartment. So I put new soft lines in with no filters and safety wired the inlet hose.

Then I went under the car to clamp shut the fuel line under the tank to put a filter in front of the fire wall and there was another filter. Replaced it. Then I went under the back where I usually put the filters and there was another filter. Replaced it.

4 filters!!! And they all looked like they were 30 years old. Here’s one. They all looked about this bad.

You never know what you’ll find. Can’t wait to change the oil and adjust the valves later this week.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: