Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New 79 Vert bought today
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

Stripped the driver’s seat back and the original fiber pad and all the springs/support were disintegrated. Dust and remnants of wires.

Wire wheeled frame, ospho’d and painted. Manufactured a new spring/support system out of couch wires and old seat return springs. Much better than original. Also made some seat release cables. Wrapped and glued a piece of thin black furniture bottom material around the frame and hog ringed a piece of thin carpet to the front to support the foam pad. Placed the pad, covered with a kitchen trash bag and slid the new cover on.

The metal tabs were gone, so I used hog rings. Worked great. Trimmed out the grommets for the release lever and headrest and installed them.

Installed in the car and feels great!!!

Now the passenger seat next.
63 Sunroof Bug, Former Herbie, Dad bought in 66
79 Super Beetle Convertible, OG paint and interior
69 Weekender Bus
77 Bay Window Bus, OG paint
69 Bug Convertible - SOLD
71 Super Beetle Vert - SOLD
64 Karmann-Ghia, barn find - SOLD
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

Also changed diff oil and adjusted brakes all the way around.
69 Weekender Bus
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

boundstaffpress wrote:
HippyTom wrote:

That "wind in my hair" ship sailed a looooong time ago...

My 16 year old daughter has fallen in love with it. I've gotta rebuild the carb then start teaching her how to drive it.

I have the same problem with missing and/or buzzed hair. Also a 15 yr old daughter. The two may be related. Very Happy

Where did you doppelgangers come from? Surprised I'm nervous about my 15 yr old daughter driving the 64 we're doing together...

To Tom: My back hurts just reading what you've done so far. Did you try to polish the OG paint first? I saw a couple of patina spots, but thought it might overall be worth trying to preserve, but I'm not there in person...
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

I tried compounding a small spot and made it look worse. Might try a polish. There are a lot of spots with paint missing and surface rust I ospho’d. And worse areas. It could be improved as a patina driver but the paint can’t be saved if you want more than that.

I’m in no hurry to paint the car. Enjoying it being a “beater” driver I don’t have to worry about. Just chipping away at stuff.
69 Weekender Bus
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

So I finished both front seat backs. Huge difference. Took some pics along the process. I put a new cover on the driver’s side and re-used the original cover on the passenger seat.

Stripped frame and built new spring system. Ospho and painted. New seat release cables, covered frame with thin strong felt type material and hog ringed some carpet over the springs. New foam, covered, and both seats feel and releases function like new!!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

69 Weekender Bus
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

Nice.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

How do you rate those seats now as far as comfort compared to your other Bugs?
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:

Far more comfortable. I’m old and fat, those low back 60s are rough on me for more than a short ride. Even after them being completely rebuilt.

The suspension and steering are far better too. I’m loving the Super. Runs and shifts fantastic. This will essentially be my winter daily driver.

A guy offered me crazy money for it yesterday while I was getting gas. We’re gonna talk more about it, but dang, I love it. We’ll see how serious he is.
69 Weekender Bus
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

HippyTom wrote:
Dwayne1m wrote:

Far more comfortable. I’m old and fat, those low back 60s are rough on me for more than a short ride. Even after them being completely rebuilt.

The suspension and steering are far better too. I’m loving the Super. Runs and shifts fantastic. This will essentially be my winter daily driver.

A guy offered me crazy money for it yesterday while I was getting gas. We’re gonna talk more about it, but dang, I love it. We’ll see how serious he is.

Agreed. I love my 78. I like my 74SB but it doesn't compare to the 78 for all the reasons you stated. I don't understand the hate some have for Supers. It would be hard for me to sell my 78. The price would have to be exorbitant, but then I could get that epilog triple black 79 that I crave. Very Happy
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

I used to be a “I don’t like Supers” guy. Then I had a 71 Super Vert and liked it pretty good. But this 79 blows it away. The guy is talking exorbitant $, but he may be talking out of his butt too. I don’t figure he’ll follow through, which is fine with me.
69 Weekender Bus
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

I’ve heard a number of these guy-at-the-gas-station offers to buy a bug. The problem is, I’ve never heard of one that followed through and actually bought the car.

Why these strangers offer to buy a car they have no intention of buying is a mystery to me. Perhaps it’s a method some people use to feel out how much this or that kind of car is worth. As if, what you’d sell the car for, as opposed to it’s true value, has anything to do with one other.

Some people just seem to want to shoot the shit, too, I suppose.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
I’ve heard a number of these guy-at-the-gas-station offers to buy a bug. The problem is, I’ve never heard of one that followed through and actually bought the car.

Tim

Funny you mention that. I take pics of my Bugs at interesting places and keep a photo album, but during this pic at an old train station a woman came flying into the parking lot and thought I was taking the pic to advertise it to sell so she wanted to buy the car on the spot, but I told her it wasn't for sale so she never offered a price. Would she have followed thru? I'll never know but she was driving a nice BMW so......
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

15 years ago at a car show a guy had to have my Herbie replica. Legit cash offer of $30k on the spot. Given my life history with this car I told him $300K couldn’t buy it. He couldn’t understand, thought everything had a price. I will never part with it.

I’ve had a few unsolicited offers on my Hippy car. I’ve thrown huge “I don’t want to sell it” numbers out there and no one wants it that bad. Which suits me just fine. It would break my heart to part with it.

I just don’t sell cars very well. I’d rather keep them all!!!
69 Weekender Bus
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

I FINALLY got the dome light working when I open either door. Such a small thing I’m not sure why I’m so happy about it. I’ve tinkered with every part of this thing and had been unable to get it working. Switches, fuse, bulb. It’s been at least a month since I messed with it.then last night, out of nowhere, it started working. Very Happy

Don’t know what or why.

Next is to get the horn working then install the new stereo.

69 Weekender Bus
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

Mine only works if the switch on light itself is in just the exact pinpoint position. Crappy repo parts.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

HippyTom wrote:
I FINALLY got the dome light working when I open either door. Such a small thing I’m not sure why I’m so happy about it.

It's the details, the little things. My philosophy is that if it's on the car, it damn well better work.
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
HippyTom wrote:
I FINALLY got the dome light working when I open either door. Such a small thing I’m not sure why I’m so happy about it.

It's the details, the little things. My philosophy is that if it's on the car, it damn well better work.

I agree. Thanks to my OCD, that light not coming on every time I opened the door was irritating the $#|+ out of me.

I also find it frustrating not to have a horn. I use the horns on my Bugs a lot. Chipping away at the list, but don’t want to stop driving it long enough to do some things.
69 Weekender Bus
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

Successfully fixing a minor detail can bring lots of enjoyment. I’ll buy a part—usually OEM or NOS to replace some little, nagging issue, but I’ll let it sit around in my stash for up to a year. Then, I decide today is the day.

For instance, I bought a front fresh-air vent off a Samba member who lives in Canada. I own a 1974 Super Beetle, and the fresh air diverter is a pain to get to. The radio has to come out, and there are about a million wires routed up iunder the dash area. But, my under-dash fresh-air plastic hose had a number of leaks in it. When driving in winter, after turning a dash knob to mix fresh air with heated air at the windows, I’d always get a nice dollop of cold air on my legs. It was no biggie, so I put off removing the old pipe and replacing it with the new one.

Eventually, I did the deed. It wasn’t nearly as difficult as I had assumed it would be.

Ahh, the little things. Taking care of them is somehow just as cool as the big stuff—which I fix right away.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

I bought boxes of new parts right after I bought the car and just do things as I feel like it. That way, I have all the stuff on hand. I’m not in any big hurry to finish or I’ll just have to get another project.
69 Weekender Bus
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: New 79 Vert bought today Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
HippyTom wrote:

There is a simple, but satisfying feeling getting the little details attended to.

Took a little bit(several days) of fiddling with my dome light and door switches to get it all working properly. Still not too sure what was up with the intermittent function, but it all works now. Sometimes I wonder if just plug/unplug/plug cycles when fiddling cleaned up the contacts. IDK.

FYI, there's decent 'double pole' switches available if you driver's door switch is on the fritz: (grounds like the passenger switch, so functions slightly differently and you only need the 'feed' wires for the dome light and jumper to passenger switch, but works great- I replaced my twitchy driver's side switch)
https://www.jbugs.com/product/113947561H.html?gcli...gIZwfD_BwE
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: